What's new

Countering Reptile?

I was playing some player matches today, and for some reason, I ran into a barrage of reptiles. Now, other than Kano, reptile is pretty high up there on the "Annoying to fight" list. I main Kitana, Cyrax, and Skarlet, but I beat a good reptile with Lui Kang. Somebody told me that one of reptile's weaknesses is teleporters, but is that it? Are there any good reptile players that have been beaten by something else? I need to know reptile's weaknesses so I can be better prepared for next time.

Teleporters or high reward zoners(Raiden, Sub Zero, Johnny Cage isn't too bad either.)

You wanna be able to keep him in one spot or have him work hard for his space control and have him work for those shoulders or acid balls. Punish blocked shoulders and condition the opponent to be afraid to use them. From there, Keep him guessing between safe strings and throws. Beyond that, it comes down to what the player themselves are specifically doing.

for me, the most annoying to play against as a reptile player are mileena and raiden, i suppose noob too...i will elaborate further tomorrow if no one else does, but really tired and need to head to sleep! i have a really strong cyrax friend that gives me some intense matches too...

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Cyrax is certainly one of Reptile's worst matchups, if you get him full screen and throw out bombs and nets there really isn't anything he can do. In those situations, I just eat the bomb...generally the player won't be able to capitalize on some meaty combo that way. The net on the other hand, that's a guaranteed meaty combo. Liu Kang is another pain in the ass matchup. If you alternate between his high and low fireballs from fullscreen it just puts him dead in his tracks, he cannot do anything except 'dash' block.

His x-ray was nerfed, and he has no projectile armor that's viable on his EX moves. Why in the hell was it given to acid hand?! God damn it, NRS.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
I struggle the most vs Kitana, Kung Lao, Kano and Liu Kang. I guess any character than starts with K lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
One general strategy vs Reptile is to cut off his elbow by standing in its path. You cut off his most reliable source of mobility, you cut off his ability to get in safely.

kung Lao is just about a good counter for most characters in this game. In my opinion however, a solid Mileena is about as annoying as it can get for Reptile.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
I'm a Reptile player myself and the opponents that give me most trouble are the ones that immobilize me. Sub's ice clone will keep a dash-happy Reptile in check, and the projectile trade isn't necessarily favorable for Reptile in my experience against Sub.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
The one thing I've found interesting about his EX ACID HAnd is you take NO damage against any projectile. So I've found sometimes you can catch a guy off guard when they think they have the win, you can wake up with it, dash in JIP- combo of choice.

So its not completely useless, kinda helps with gaining position against the Kanos, Skarlet, Kitana and any other projectile happy players.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I tend to have issue with the dash. It can be punished but only if you read it well or have a fast special.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
I figured the dash was full-combo punishable. I'm stuck in stun frames when I'm blocked but nobody ever seems to capitalize.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I figured the dash was full-combo punishable. I'm stuck in stun frames when I'm blocked but nobody ever seems to capitalize.
You can but it tends to get used more to move around and to be annoying when I am jumping. So I try to jump over that billionth force ball that a reptile is zoning with, Then they start dashin here and there and by the time I land they are on the other side of me and the jump in attack I was going with is now punished. Should really learn but cba.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
You can but it tends to get used more to move around and to be annoying when I am jumping. So I try to jump over that billionth force ball that a reptile is zoning with, Then they start dashin here and there and by the time I land they are on the other side of me and the jump in attack I was going with is now punished. Should really learn but cba.
That's fun to do...

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
The one thing I've found interesting about his EX ACID HAnd is you take NO damage against any projectile. So I've found sometimes you can catch a guy off guard when they think they have the win, you can wake up with it, dash in JIP- combo of choice.

So its not completely useless, kinda helps with gaining position against the Kanos, Skarlet, Kitana and any other projectile happy players.
nice! now i actually have a use for it. those last desperate seconds of a match i'm about to lose by a projectile seem a little less dark now. i'd gladly burn a meter on wake-up for a last minute chance at victory!

EDIT: does this include kabal's low blade?

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Gonna have to bump this for some tips. I played a reptile that EXCLUSIVELY did ex and normal force balls. That is pretty cheap but also quite hard to counter as sub zero. You cant trade projectiles as if you freeze reptile and get hit by his balls, you are out long enough for him to get up and either launch another or block.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Teleporters? the only two teleporters that cause threat to Reptile are Smoke and raiden and thats it :S....SMoke due to the fast frame recovery of Instant air teleport.

here are a FULL list of what chars own rep:

-Shang tsung : 7 - 3 shang favor
-Sub zero: 6 -4 Sub favor
-Kitana: 6 -4 kitana favor
-Kabal: 6 -4 kabal favor (even go worst)
-SOnya: 5.5 - 4.5 (sonya favor)
-Kung lao: 6 - 4 kung favor
-Smoke: 5.5 - 4.5 (smoke favor)

Other char that are 5/5 in my opinion...those some cases they can have complete LEAD:
-Lui kang (when completely offensive)
-Cage
-Scorpion (mix up zoning and pressure)

if anyone think reptile is STRONG as tier whore and that u might have a lot of struggle against rep using any of the mentioned chars, then simply put, u need a lot more training.