What's new

General/Other - War God Countering Kotal Kahns options off of his B1 string

haketh

Noob
Wouldn't it be more productive to find tech to make characters better rather than tech to make already low tier characters worse?
Tom & many others are doing that now. Getting info like this is important so we can better play out matchuups & for NRS to better figure out what changes to make.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
And that is the community's problem.

I don't understand how people love this game and don't click on analysis threads where info is fed to them.

You don't even need to lab, OP, 99% of the time, has done it for you.
because learning takes more work than crying for buffs

ApocalypseUK

I Will Kill You For Sport.
Great now my mains even worse then I already feel like it was, as much as I wish this wasn't exploited at the same I'm glad it has so hopefully NRS can look into things like this.

Wouldn't it be more productive to find tech to make characters better rather than tech to make already low tier characters worse?
Agree but at the same time we need the already (low tier characters) exploited more so NRS can take a step back and go oh wow this character came out worse then we thought and hopefully address these specific problems.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
My scene has been exposing this for a couple months now, but that doesn't necessarily mean his offense is cheeks.

You can stagger his strings, especially b1 alone, only being -3 it is 100% safe and anyone mashing an armored reversal or backdash is susceptible to no follow up, than either a punish or check again. Or if your opponent is waiting for further part of the string, it is pretty much free throw territory.

Another counter in how many gaps he possesses is canceling particular parts of the string into air throw, and match up depending (depending on how fast the reversal armor is) is nets you enough time to block. (I've used it vs boneshaper, the opponent may not be frame perfect but almost no players are when it comes to reversals. If you really want to see how bad kotal is just set reptile to reversal dash and start pressing buttons with kotal.

He has different strings that have MUCH tighter armor windows and a few that don't, so kotal players just have to start using different tools when the meta develops. I do agree we get away with murder, but it doesn't necessarily mean he is ass.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
My scene has been exposing this for a couple months now, but that doesn't necessarily mean his offense is cheeks.

You can stagger his strings, especially b1 alone, only being -3 it is 100% safe and anyone mashing an armored reversal or backdash is susceptible to no follow up, than either a punish or check again. Or if your opponent is waiting for further part of the string, it is pretty much free throw territory.

Another counter in how many gaps he possesses is canceling particular parts of the string into air throw, and match up depending (depending on how fast the reversal armor is) is nets you enough time to block. (I've used it vs boneshaper, the opponent may not be frame perfect but almost no players are when it comes to reversals. If you really want to see how bad kotal is just set reptile to reversal dash and start pressing buttons with kotal.

He has different strings that have MUCH tighter armor windows and a few that don't, so kotal players just have to start using different tools when the meta develops. I do agree we get away with murder, but it doesn't necessarily mean he is ass.
Yeah thats what ive been saying but they where just "gimmicks" :(
Yet ive seen ppl on stream that punish all of kotals gaps. And lbsh, who didnt go in the lab the first day he played kotal and tested out all of his strings cancelled into special with AI on reversal to see where he has gaps?
And yes we get away with murder but its not that easy anyway to reversal every gap he has if the kotal player isnt braindead and do b14 mb oh sword or b122-any special all the time.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Poor Quan Chi can't use his armor in a lot of situations where things are armorable.

R.I.P. Sky Drop.

Never allowed to live.

(Incase I GOT HANDS or any other pundit takes the above seriously, note that it is a joke.)

(I have to explain jokes on TYM now. Dear God.)

(That was also a joke.)

Great now my mains even worse then I already feel like it was, as much as I wish this wasn't exploited at the same I'm glad it has so hopefully NRS can look into things like this.

Agree but at the same time we need the already (low tier characters) exploited more so NRS can take a step back and go oh wow this character came out worse then we thought and hopefully address these specific problems.
And why would it be fixed?

Look... as a SZ player all we get is "Fuck You, stay with issues and deal with it". I do not see why any character should get their issues fixed at this point unless its infinite, block infinite, 100% combo.

ApocalypseUK

I Will Kill You For Sport.
And why would it be fixed?

Look... as a SZ player all we get is "Fuck You, stay with issues and deal with it". I do not see why any character should get their issues fixed at this point unless its infinite, block infinite, 100% combo.
Why do you not see issues needing to be fixed at this point? :S

Like Quan Chi's constant overhead low option rubbish for example?

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
I'm still not seeing what the big deal here is? The fact that you can backdash/punish some of Kotals B1 tech doesn't drop him any lower for Gods sake. There are still countermeasures that can be taken when people start doing it. And of course armor beats B1 gaps, everybody has known this since day 1.

The fact of the matter is that Kotal still has so many options off of B1 and being able to backdash the gaps just means we have to use different tools every now and then to get the same results.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
To anyone saying "this is sooo old news" or "I've know about this since day 1 bruh" just shut your god damn face. Not everyone knows about it, if you knew about it, then why didn't you make a thread? Nice big titled threads with this sort of tech is really useful when you want to learn about a character because not everybody wants to go through 20 pages of a general discussion thread to find a sentence that talks about tech so don't reply to me with a link to some shit like that.

I feel so freaking pumped up right now and I don't know why!

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
To anyone saying "this is sooo old news" or "I've know about this since day 1 bruh" just shut your god damn face. Not everyone knows about it, if you knew about it, then why didn't you make a thread? Nice big titled threads with this sort of tech is really useful when you want to learn about a character because not everybody wants to go through 20 pages of a general discussion thread to find a sentence that talks about tech so don't reply to me with a link to some shit like that.

or go in the lab lol

set reptile to reversal EX slide, pick any character, press everything, and you will learn every gap in the game

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm still not seeing what the big deal here is? The fact that you can backdash/punish some of Kotals B1 tech doesn't drop him any lower for Gods sake. There are still countermeasures that can be taken when people start doing it. And of course armor beats B1 gaps, everybody has known this since day 1.

The fact of the matter is that Kotal still has so many options off of B1 and being able to backdash the gaps just means we have to use different tools every now and then to get the same results.
Staggers are the future imo, or more 114, dat true block string <3

Since we are on the subject

f3, 4, OH - uninteruptable - rest of the options are, but the windows are TIGHT, and canceled to air throw is a good armor bait

2,1,2 - same as b122, last hit armorable and backdashable, BUT 2,1 is only -2, and 22 cancel adv makes it a great option as well, and the entire string -1 with pushback

Scott The Scot

or go in the lab lol

set reptile to reversal EX slide, pick any character, press everything, and you will learn every gap in the game
I've done that with a lot of characters, just not Kotal yet lol I've done it with characters that used to give me trouble like Tanya.

Wait, isn't the point of this video that you can block high then low during the blockstring and then it allows you to backdash or armour? If that's true then just setting Reptile to reversal slide wouldn't work :p

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've done that with a lot of characters, just not Kotal yet lol I've done it with characters that used to give me trouble like Tanya.

Wait, isn't the point of this video that you can block high then low during the blockstring and then it allows you to backdash or armour? If that's true then just setting Reptile to reversal slide wouldn't work :p
Hitbox dependent, someone like cassie can do it for free

The gaps that are done by reversal armor in the lab are universal, doesn't matter if you crouch block, in this video, armoring b122 during the last 2 is TIGHT and gl getting in on a stage if I decide to let the string rip. It's better to armor or bd the followup imo, very consistent.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

Do you ever..

You know...?

http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-problem-that-still-plagues-sun-blood-god.53585/

Scott The Scot

I went to that thread.

Y'know, the Sun God/Blood God thread...

You said this:
War god doesn't have this problem because the overhead/low swords are fast enough to be true blockstrings off of B122 and safe vs 90% of the cast.
Apologise. fkn scrub 1v1 bich

You also didn't go into any detail or talk about what tom went over in his videos.

Do you ever... You know?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I went to that thread.

Y'know, the Sun God/Blood God thread...

You said this:

Apologise. fkn scrub 1v1 bich

You also didn't go into any detail or talk about what tom went over in his videos.

Do you ever... You know?
And then did research which ended up being the sword punish thread. Unlike you, I do my own research and post it to further my and others' understanding.

Meanwhile you just bitch constantly in this sub forum over things already explained a thousand times and cherry pick arguments to your liking.

Scott The Scot

And then did research which ended up being the sword punish thread. Unlike you, I do my own research and post it to further my and others' understanding.

Meanwhile you just bitch constantly in this sub forum over things already explained a thousand times and cherry pick arguments to your liking.
Aw Quark...

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
Well you can punish Kotal Khan b112 ~df2 with armor or fast special. Millena can use her roll ball after Kotal b112.

So b112 df2 cam be interrupted, b112 db1 can be punish also b112 db3 can be punish. You only can't punish b122 db2 (low sword).

But Kotal Khan players can be smart and they can mix his gameplay. I use naked b1 and then I can repeat b1 or even cancel b1 into special.
Next time when my opponent should try to counter after b1 special and he will eat full b122 special.