What's new

Counter poking: Advanced tactics

you can also check out the video of me v Crazy Dominican at the Arena.

I went for d3 after every d4 > b2 and he counter poked me with d1 every time.

I kept doing it because I was half retarded that day. I dont know.
Yeah the window to counter poke isn't huge, but it's obviously not impossible. BTW I hate Kitana but smokes d1 & d3 can catch one of her blocked d1

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Yeah the window to counter poke isn't huge, but it's obviously not impossible. BTW I hate Kitana but smokes d1 & d3 can catch one of her blocked d1
I don't mean that him counter poking was anything out of the ordinary, just that I was a dummy to keep doing the same pattern over and over lol

EDIT: for clarification, he would block my d3 and hit me with d1 xx cutter

I don't mean that him counter poking was anything out of the ordinary, just that I was a dummy to keep doing the same pattern over and over lol

EDIT: for clarification, he would block my d3 and hit me with d1 xx cutter
Really? I haven't been able to cancel a special from a counter poke once lol. I thought it wasn't possible.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Really? I haven't been able to cancel a special from a counter poke once lol. I thought it wasn't possible.
well, there isn't anything that the game engine recognizes about a counter poke that is different from a regular poke.

All it knows is that your opponent's blocked poke causes 0 block stun while leaving them with 13 recovery frames and you're basically able to do as you please in that window. As long as your counter poke makes contact, the special should come out.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
the NY players have spent a long time investigating this topic and there is one thing that needs clarification because it's a little off.

See, the characters that you're talking about that get advantage off their d3s operate like this: they get +10 on hit on a CROUCHING opponent but only +3 on a STANDING opponent.

This is important for the following reason.

When in vulnerable frames from a blocked poke, although they are in an animation that is crouched, the game engine considers their stand/crouch state based on whether or not they are holding "down" at that particular instance of hit connection. In other words, the input from the controller is what dictates which state they are in: standing or crouching.

For example, if you were to block someone's d1 and punish with d3, you're not guaranteed to be at +10. That depends on whether they HELD "down" after d1 or just tapped it. If they just tapped it, you will hit them in what the game engine sees as standing state and will only be +3.

If your character has a 9 frame or less special mid or low (Kabal f4, Cage f3, Liu Kang b3) you can counter poke d1's for full combo if you scout one.

For characters like my man Smoke, they don't have any normals like this so I always counter poke with d3 to get advantage. However, you won't know how much advantage you're at until you can see your opponent's hit animation.

This might seem confusing, but it's important.
Thats what this thread is for...this is the info we need. Ill update the first post with better information.

for clarification
-d3 usually at -7 gets countered by d1 or d3.
-d1 usually at -13 gets countered by d3 or d4.
-d4 usually at 0, doesn't get countered and at max range creates space.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
This is one of those game changing threads for me. It's already changed the way I view and play the game. Thanks to all who are contributing.