What's new

Question - Kotal Kahn Could someone help me better understand the concept of the Mace Parry?

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
I've never played an NRS game before this one and I'm really trying to learn how the mechanics work. The only other fighting game I've ever played was Dead or Alive and parries in that game put you at a massive advantage and interrupted your opponent. I can't seem to understand Kotals though. How exactly do parries work in NRS games? Are they to be used in anticipation for single hit moves? Interrupting slower strings? I can connect with the parry somewhat regularly but it seems like because it doesn't interrupt, I can never get off a clean attack before a follow up hits me. Should I be canceling the parry into the attack I want to reverse with and simply hoping the parry connects?

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Also, it's not like regular parries, even for NRS. If you try Sonya's or Kano's you'll see.

As Belial says, unfortunately, it should almost never be used.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
The fundamental problem with mace parry is that the reward for a successful parry doesn't outweigh the risk associated with using it and whiffing. Also, only Ex mace parry has the frame data to actually be usable, regardless of whether or not you are willing to risk using it. And the only time I ever use Ex mace parry is to stuff a predictable, single-hitting wakeup.

mattnin

Noob
I'm still trying to find a valuable use for it and every so often you'll see me attempt a parry in match play, but it is by and large useless. If someone wants to prove me wrong, please link to a video showing someone using it at a tournament or in some other high end play. It'd be better if NRS just removed the parry entirely, at least I wouldn't do it by accident anymore.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
People think armored oh swords make war god good but he's the best kk variation because he's free of the shittyness of mace parry aura of crappy malice

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
I think the main problem is people just are not using the move right. The move is used to cancel your opponent down one or frame gap into specials. Would be better if it would make a whole string unable to cancel.

Horrible start up frames (should be 1 frame) Allowing you to parry multihitting moves with ease.
Requires meter for better version.
Damage buff is laughable.
Active frames are too small.
Recovery sucks.
Cannot parry air attacks. Not even the ones that hop.
No freeze frame to allow you to prepare for the follow up.

The risk versus reward is too high. Maybe NRS thought the move would be OP but its really worthless. Even against noobs who you can predict every move. If anything it gets in the way of your inputs when doing other stuff.

KingOko

Was it good for you?
I think it needs to be used like the war god OH armor move. To interrupt string and in general when u are at minus frames but still able to move. So in blood good using the string f1b2 on block, mace parry may be viable. Honestly there are a lot of wake ups that can get blown up by the mace parry, we should just all get better at using it.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter
The only mu I have found use in is quan. Reading the oh is pretty strong with it. But most cases where there is a gap backdashing works just as well. Sometimes it is your only wu move, on multi hitting strings it sucks, but on recovery you should still be able to block. But characters with strong single hitting oki it's always strong. Beating crouch normals throw etc. Good vs single hitting wu attacks, i love putting it on the screen against say jax. Beats almost every option, he wastes a bar and i get a combo. Also interrupting strings, still being developed