What's new

Guide - Blood God Blood God Guide v1.0

Belial

Noob
OVERVIEW

This is for people, who just cant stop thinking BG is awesome and all those who say otherwise "dont know how to play". I bring you a lot of tech both universal and blood god only and I hope it will help you see both his strengths and his weaknesses as well. I am playing BG succesfully but I realize that he is fundamentaly a very bad character, but also that tweaking him could possibly turn him into a monster. This is 1.0 version of the guide that will be updated with time.

Pros

+ Good footsies
+ Lots of cool setups
+ Insane corner damage output
+ High damage output overall via crystal totem
+ Fun to use

Cons
- Setup heavy
- Lacks armor
- Lacks anti air
- Has a number of really bad matchups
- Low tier

Normals

D4
Arguably your best poke. Your options post landed d4:
- F1 can only be escaped by armor or backdash
- Run f2 will hit backdash and all jumps
- Run throw will work as a mixup
- Jump forward will counter backdash, jumps and possibly armor attempts
- D4 on hit can be safely cancelled into totem, despite small disadvantage its easy to bait and punish opponent pokes here by f1 or f2.

D3
Short range but great hitbox for hitting jumps give good damage on hit, allows for a throw/114 mixup

D1
Free throw/114 mixup, f2 cannot be interruped unless by armor and cannot be backdashed or jumped out either.

D2
Your uppercut. keeps the sky clear

F1
On block its safe unless you’re against cassie. fear of second hit will make your opponent hesitate. Your options here:
On hit: You cannot do much here b/c you are left too close to bait a wiffed poke on the other hand your throws do not connect. Also opponent is left at a range where you cannot really jump at them.You can try to mixup f1b2 and tiny walk forward into throw.

F1B2
You can OS that with obsidian totem which will make that less punishable(damage wise of course). You cannot do that, however if crystal totem is out, so be careful how you place it. This is your best mixup and wiff punishment tool

F12
Has slightly more reach than f1b2 and can be harder to punish or safe against some chars at far blocks. Extended reach can be used to catch opponent looking to punish a wiff at midcreen. Sends opponent across the screen making totem summon a safe option.

F2
Your 2nd best wiff punisher tool. Slower that f1 but has more range. Certain characters cannot punish this with anything but poke. Others (notably Kung Jin fucking retarded 111) get full combo.

Jump 2
Jump forward for offence, jump backwards for defence. The reach on that jump 2 is really something. Convert into combo of choice on hit and mixup throw/114 on close block.

Jump 3_4
Neutral jump kick has awesome hitbox that is especially great in the corner

F34
Your best corner mixup tool. With totem you’re looking at about 65% for 2 bars, hitconfirmable, semi-safe. Cancel into ex sun disk on hit for wallcombos and dont cancel on cancel into air grab for baiting and punishing armored moves. If they block sun disk they must face another mixup.

B1
With a lot of practice you can hitconfirm b1 into 4 or 2 which will make this an insane pressure tool near walls and a great midscreen poke (b122~exdisc will deal 24% damage if totem is out midscreen 32% and b14~sundisk nets 69% at wall if totem is out at the wall).

B14
On block you have number of options such as parry or obsidian totem, but overall this move is not super useful. On hit sundisc connects and is 100% hitconfirmable.

B122
Is utter garbage on block unless your opponent doesnt know MU

Combo ender, starts out with a high and is -1 on block but deals poor damage. Should it start out with mid could be decent. Provides different amount (more) of advantage if done as aeiral hit. 21 combos into ex sundisk.

B32
Nice safe i13 mid that covers a lot of range. Unspectacular damage makes it somewhat less useful than it could be. at close range hit and importantly in the corner b3 will combo into ex sun disk

Throws

Throws is super important in BG game. Depending if people will learn to reliably break throws on reaction will greatly depend his viability (from low-mid tier to crap tier)

Setups:
- d1, d3 and b1 on hit set up throw
- f1 and b14 allow for a throw if you take a small step forward
- Jump 2 allow for a throw at close block
- b1 and f1 on block are good throw setup b/c of the second hit option
- b14, f1, f3, b3 allow for a throw CORNER ONLY

Throw mixup
To break or duck a throw your opponent must release block, this will allow you to mix up your damaging options.. d1 and d3 provide enough advantage for 114 to be unduckable, you can try to safely use it as a mixup with a throw in this situations, same goes for jump 2 on block. Keep in mind, that moves that provide massive advantage on hit (d1, d3, b1) do not allow for immediate throw b/c it will wiff. you need to do a slight delay.

Post throw game
Landing throw nets untechable KD and huge frame advantage. You get a free and 100% safe totem summon here. Mid screen throw sends them full screen, available options are:

- For characters w/o teleport Sun disk is only escapable by staying OTG, they have to block it (reflect?) if they get up. No jumping, no backdashing. Sun disk provides around 3% chip damage (slightly more if crystal totem’s out) on top of throw damage as well as enough frame advantage on block for safe totem summon. They can wake up with a projectile to trade but since disk deals 11% it is in your favor. Also after landing a throw disk animation at full screen is concealed by screen border for some reason, which doesnt happen on regular full screen disk throw.

- If they stay grounded you can use sun ray instead they will be forced to eat at least 1% chip and move from that spot. Should you hit them with sun disk (probably ex version b/c noone will get hit by reg SD) you will put them back into Ray.

- You can use blood offering here, however characters with faster teleports can punish you (ex: scorpion WKA Teleport will, but Takeda will not)

Post Disk Game
On hit disk is almost equal to throw, however your opponent can techroll into WKA which makes SD into SD a poor choice especially against teleporting characters. Animation is not concealed here also so its easy to react. However EX disk is very safe here, while not a truly reliable tactic it is still possible to bait and punish teleport using disk into ex disk .on hit totem is 100% safe. As I mentioned above, on block totem summon is free.

Throw corner game
Throw nets you even more advantage, than aeiral 212 (see below). You can sommon totem here and hit opponent before he can do anything but WKA. Post totem b1 will hit opponent getting up and doing anything even jumping (opponent will be hit otg) from where you can hitconfirm into a combo or stop on block and try to set up a throw. f34 is not jumpable post totem summon also, but timing is pretty strict - even though its not so hard to hit them jumping, only earliest timing would allow for wallcombo via ex sundisk, any later and disk will wiff leaving you with a wasted meter and wasted setup.

Ending combos

There is 3 ways to end your combos

1) 212 ender
Best ender to combos when you dont have totem out or against enemy you’d rather keep close. Deals about 3-4% less than most damaging ender. Nets untechable KD and enough advantage to summon a totem AND mixup afterwards. Your options as follows:
Crystal totem, throw: they get up, they get hit by 16% throw into throw setups.
Crystal totem, f1/f1b2 or f2: f1 cannot be interrupted, backdashed or jumped if done properly. f+2 cannot be backdashed or jumped either side, but can be interrupted by faster pokes after get up. I belive f2 is a better choice here due to more damage and safety.

To beat the mixup your opponent will resort to WKA. Regular parry (post totem of course) will not counter fastest WKA throw, but in reality your opponent will mess up sometimes and get hit by parry. You can also parry and still break throw. Then of course you can duck it etc. You can use EX parry still to beat most WKA your opponent may try. Some wakeup atacks cant be stuffed (multihitting) by parry, so you can make an adjustment. Remember no one really forces you to use parry here. You can just block most wka and punish.

In my opinion this setup is what gets BG going b/c just one read off that combo will allow you to take from 50% to over 80% life at a price of 0-1 bar

2) Throw ender
Throw animation is so long that when you finish your combo with it your totem will expire. It is a good thing if you’re using blood totem or if you need to “renew” any other totem you have. Best against characters you’d rather have fullscreen or if you're looking for corner setups from section above. Keep in mind, that throws can be broken

3) Damage ender: Best option when you land a combo with totem out. I’d always go for “bar” combos here, ending them in b14~throw.

Post 212 corner game
In the corner you get more options post 212 juggle ender. Your opponent can jump b14 and f34 which will not allow for a corner combo.
b122 will hit aerial opponens but does not allow a combo with sundisk capping damage at 50% for 1 bar
f1~sundisk will hit for 66% 2 bar
b3~sundisk will hit for 68% 2 bar
21~sundisk can be confirmed into sundisk for 66% 2 bar
At 1 bar you will deal aprox 50% from each of these starters.

Cutting yourself

The only safe cut setup is a throw. You can get the most out of cut if you use it while having obsidian totem out, making it only deal about 6% damage to you, while still granting full damage boost of ~33% to your next 3 attacks. The problem here is that throw animation is so long, that your totem will expire before it ends most of the time.

Example of setting up a post-throw cut:
You use f1b2 and OS last hit into obsidian totem but your opponent misses his punishment, you land a throw back at him and cut yourself after the throw before totem expires.

Parry

Parry has 16 active frames but terrible recovery.
On succesful parry you are not guaranteed anything really and you cant truly react to most moves you parry.
Damage bonus parry provides is pretty unexiting (around 30%)
it only lasts about 1 second so only 1 or 2 your next moves will get buffed.
This makes an uppercut most reliable followup in most scenarios
On top of all that your ability to punish will vary depending on how late your parry absorbed enemy atack. Awkwardly, the later your parry works during animation the more time you have to punish your enemy, thus makes regular parry punishment unrealistic at best which also eliminates the idea that parry was designed for multiple uses, (ex: starting with regular version and then keeping up with metered one) b/c you cannot even followup a regular parry with metered one unless regular one hits really late increasing it effective startup from 8 frames to AT LEAST 16.

Interesting property of parry is that parrying normal prohibits special move followups.

Damage increase parry provides for notable punishes is following:
- d2 gains about 5% increase from 14% to 18.62%
- 114 will get a total buff of 4% damage 20% vs 24% , 1 bar combo 40% vs 44%
- f2 will get 5% increase from 43% to 48% (1 bar) this is also an unrealistic turn of events
- f1b2 will get 2% increase from 38% to 40% 1 bar
- Throw will get 1% increase 12% to 13%

Double Parry
- will deal 9% more damage on 114
- will deal 9% more damage on f2
- will deal 6% more damage on f1b2

Triple parry will deal
- 12% more damage on 114 (up to 32%)
- 14% more damage on f2 (up to 57%) (this number only if you did 1 reg and 2 master, otherwise you dont have meter to extend the combo)
- 10% more damage on f1b2
- 19% more on uppercut up to 33%

As you can see even if you burn 3 bars to parry a string (which is an enormous feat imo) to only get an increase ~10% combo damage

Combos
TBD

Last edited:

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Gonna read through this later, thanks for making it. I had given up on War God Kotal because he was too boring, but this might get me back into him.

Belial

Noob
Since when does Kotal lack an anti-air? D2 is amazing for jumps and crossups.
There are a lot of atacks you cannot D2 . SubZero jump 1 and 2, Kung Jin j2, Mileena j2, numerous jump kicks etc etc. there are also many attacks you cannot d4 Over 50% of the cast have those. Most of them leave you at major disadvantage. You can partially solve that with proper positioning but that is a different story. AA in this game is just as unreliable as in previous games but at least in MK9 you could always AA punches and only suffer 7% from misread jump kick. MK10 is a different story, which is sort of sad.

LRK128

TEST - YOU'RE WHITE!
I'm confused, I thought the cons (or pros) were what made something low (or high) tier

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
There are a lot of atacks you cannot D2 . SubZero jump 1 and 2, Kung Jin j2, Mileena j2, numerous jump kicks etc etc. there are also many attacks you cannot d4 Over 50% of the cast have those. Most of them leave you at major disadvantage. You can partially solve that with proper positioning but that is a different story. AA in this game is just as unreliable as in previous games but at least in MK9 you could always AA punches and only suffer 7% from misread jump kick. MK10 is a different story, which is sort of sad.
Jumpkicks are naturally going to beat D2, it's almost always a mixup.

There are some attacks which from certain distances you can't AA like KL J2 but other like Subzero's you can and those that are done from farther ranges you react to with armour, backdash or trip guard.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
D2 commonly doesn't work against sub zero. I started using instant jump back 1 which seems to work well.

Belial

Noob
Jumpkicks are naturally going to beat D2, it's almost always a mixup.

There are some attacks which from certain distances you can't AA like KL J2 but other like Subzero's you can and those that are done from farther ranges you react to with armour, backdash or trip guard.
Jumpkicks can be armored through by other chars but not blood god
Subzero punches as well as mileena j1 cannot be AA by d2 unless they mess it up. both provide large advantage on block. You can lower hitbox by d4, but you will be still left at disadvantage here. And if they use it as a crossup you cannot even use d4 bc you will still get hit. Fact is you NEED armor against some jump atacks. Even if you can "sometimes" AA that atacks with d2 or evade them by d4 this is still 0-14% damage points where their sucessful hit net 30% combos. This means you just cannot reliably AA and you dont have RR needed to keep them from jumping.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Have you tried both close up and really far away?
I find d2 whiffs on female characters crossing over, and when Sub Zero jumps over his jump punch works higher up (if that makes sense). From far away there is no issue, d2 works just fine.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
This is a very good introduction to Blood God. Well done. Three minor points:

1) I think you are underselling D2 a bit. I find it fairly useful for anti-airing, overall.

2) Besides 212 and throw, D2 is another very useful combo ender for setting up totems completely safely (and it tends to be more damaging than either of the other two options).

3) J1 and J4 are both very solid Air to air options. And crossover J1 is also very good.

Last edited:

Belial

Noob
This is a very good introduction to Blood God. Well done. Three minor points:

1) I think you are underselling D2 a bit. I find it fairly useful for anti-airing, overall.

2) Besides 212 and throw, D2 is another very useful combo ender for setting up totems completely safely (and it tends to be more damaging than either of the other two options).

3) J1 and J4 are both very solid Air to air options. And crossover J1 is also very good.
1) It may not seem so, but I am aware, that KK uppercut is one of the better ones in game. HOWEVER what many people are not aware of is that armor is paramount to AA strategy in this game, at least unless jump atacks are fixed in some way. A lot of chracters in the game can input early jump atacks that will lead into a combo on hit AND huge advantage on block and being impossible to AA at certain ranges. So you really need armor for those. BG lacks armor. Thats my point when I say his AA game is bad. Against some chars , yeah, ok, its fine. Against others you just cannot AA reliably. Other characters who have worse uppercuts suffer even more, so it is a FUNDAMENTAL GAMEPLAY FLAW that I want fixed asap, but this will not probably be happening b/c NRS has all that amazing testers like tom and reo that will keep saying to "improve your game" etc. At least those other chars have armor to counter bullshit. Whats the point in having AA-throw that doesnt even work as AA?

2) Yes thanks for pointing it out. Im not sure if its safe to summon totem here(gotta test), but definitely better that air grab ender in that regard

3) Never managed to get J4 to work as an AA, do you mean neutral jump kicks?

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
1) It may not seem so, but I am aware, that KK uppercut is one of the better ones in game. HOWEVER what many people are not aware of is that armor is paramount to AA strategy in this game, at least unless jump atacks are fixed in some way. A lot of chracters in the game can input early jump atacks that will lead into a combo on hit AND huge advantage on block and being impossible to AA at certain ranges. So you really need armor for those. BG lacks armor. Thats my point when I say his AA game is bad. Against some chars , yeah, ok, its fine. Against others you just cannot AA reliably. Other characters who have worse uppercuts suffer even more, so it is a FUNDAMENTAL GAMEPLAY FLAW that I want fixed asap, but this will not probably be happening b/c NRS has all that amazing testers like tom and reo that will keep saying to "improve your game" etc. At least those other chars have armor to counter bullshit. Whats the point in having AA-throw that doesnt even work as AA?

2) Yes thanks for pointing it out. Im not sure if its safe to summon totem here(gotta test), but definitely better that air grab ender in that regard

3) Never managed to get J4 to work as an AA, do you mean neutral jump kicks?
1) Fair enough.

2) Totems are definitely safe following D2 enders. (I have tested them with Sub's ex-slide)

3) Nah, I mean J4 as an air to air. I tend to use J1 more, but J4 is viable.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
This really a very solid breakdown of Blood God. For those uninitiated, definitely make sure to check out the points pertaining to throw. Blood God's throw is an absolutely critical part of his arsenal.

Blood god is definitely low tier, but still fun to play. Thanks Belial for the informative post, though this might make blood god players have a more difficult time. Since this guide not only shows how to play the variation but indirectly shows how to beat it! Hah. Blood god is interesting, the more the opponent understands the match up the less options you have at your disposal. And blood god is already short on options.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Blood god is definitely low tier, but still fun to play. Thanks Belial for the informative post, though this might make blood god players have a more difficult time. Since this guide not only shows how to play the variation but indirectly shows how to beat it! Hah. Blood god is interesting, the more the opponent understands the match up the less options you have at your disposal. And blood god is already short on options.
Totally agree.

DarkSlayerSmith

Fundamentals in real life
F1
On block its safe unless you’re against cassie. fear of second hit will make your opponent hesitate. Your options here:
On hit: You cannot do much here b/c you are left too close to bait a wiffed poke on the other hand your throws do not connect. Also opponent is left at a range where you cannot really jump at them.You can try to mixup f1b2 and tiny walk forward into throw.
f1 to d4 is also good corner pressure,making the opponent want to jump thus guiving you chance to d2 on them or df1.
other thing I noticed:
(footsie tool)
f1 on block -if opponent tries to d1 you - counter it with b2 who´s an overhead that ignores low hits(pokes)
f1 on block -if opponent hesitates to attack and keeps blocking - grab or B12(also an overhead) cancel it with sun beam(DF4) and your opponent will react unwillingly
f1 on block -if opponen jumps(afraid of a grab) and you want him to jump - NJP(on reaction) them use your best AA combo
To obtain better results condition your opponent with a grab.