What's new

Costumes or Gear System for Mortal Kombat 11?

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Notice the "almost" in my reply. Out of all the MK4 characters, Quan Chi and Shinnok always come back. Because...favoritism. An example being Quan Chi's presence in MK 2011 where he literally had nothing to do with the original MK1-MK3 story. But they shoehorned him in there because they just like him. Tanya is just there because it's the name of Ed's sister. It's also why Sonya keeps coming back. Kenshi is one of those characters where fans don't bandwagon hate on because he looks cool. And Bo' Rai Cho is also one of Ed's and NRS' favorites so they don't care about the bandwagon hate he's been getting.

Quan Chi's fortress, Lin Kuei temple, and Sky Temple is just the name pasted onto a stage that does not resemble the original in any sort of way. I guess they do count as a piece of something returning from the 3D era but notice how far off they look from the original, it's as if they wanted to play it off as a completely original stage that originated in MKX and not MKDA and MKD.
I'm sorry but your favoritism statement is just stupid. Yes Quan Chi didn't appear in MK1-MK3, but considering he did appear in MKM:SZ which was a prequel to them and the sole reason why Scorpion was brought back as an undead ninja, him being in MK9's story fits well with the new timeline versions of the MK1-MK3 events in MK9's story. Same for Shinnok and his connections to Quan Chi. Also Bo' Rai Cho was request by fans tom come back, not at the same level as Noob Saibot, yes, but he was requested. Also if Tanya was added in MKX just because that's Ed's sister name why she wasn't in MK9? And Sonya is an MK classic, why she wouldn't come back.

And as for the stages, some of the stages in MK9 looked vastly different then their MK1-MK3 counterparts as well, like the Wastelands and the Rooftop. MKX' versions of the stages look indeed different, but you can see the similarities too. The only one you can say it's really different is Quan's Fortress but once again, MK9's rooftop looked very different as well.

And regarding the Gear, even if they don't include every single 3D costume piece it won't be that bad. I mean, it would be awesome if they do, but they can show some new stuff in addition to 2D classic stuff, and 3D era stuff as well. I can see them putting the MK:SM parts for Reptile, or the Shredder parts for Sub-Zero. MK always tried to mix old and new stuff, I don't think MK11 will be any different.

BruskyPoet

Johnny bought a car
I'm sorry but your favoritism statement is just stupid. Yes Quan Chi didn't appear in MK1-MK3, but considering he did appear in MKM:SZ which was a prequel to them and the sole reason why Scorpion was brought back as an undead ninja, him being in MK9's story fits well with the new timeline versions of the MK1-MK3 events in MK9's story. Same for Shinnok and his connections to Quan Chi. Also Bo' Rai Cho was request by fans tom come back, not at the same level as Noob Saibot, yes, but he was requested. Also if Tanya was added in MKX just because that's Ed's sister name why she wasn't in MK9? And Sonya is an MK classic, why she wouldn't come back.

And as for the stages, some of the stages in MK9 looked vastly different then their MK1-MK3 counterparts as well, like the Wastelands and the Rooftop. MKX' versions of the stages look indeed different, but you can see the similarities too. The only one you can say it's really different is Quan's Fortress but once again, MK9's rooftop looked very different as well.

And regarding the Gear, even if they don't include every single 3D costume piece it won't be that bad. I mean, it would be awesome if they do, but they can show some new stuff in addition to 2D classic stuff, and 3D era stuff as well. I can see them putting the MK:SM parts for Reptile, or the Shredder parts for Sub-Zero. MK always tried to mix old and new stuff, I don't think MK11 will be any different.
I wouldn't say it fits well with the rest. He did not do anything in the MK1-MK3 story. He didn't need to be there at all. Yes he was in Mythologies but if they added him for that reason, then why does he have his tattoos? Surely if NRS used MKM:SZ as a reference then why does he have his MKDA design and tattoos? It's obvious they brought him back because they just like him and they just used his latest design. Hell even his MK 2011 alt is a scrapped concept from MKDA.

It's a known fact that Tanya missed MK 2011 by a hairline. She literally almost made the game. Had NRS went ahead with it she would've been in. Boon has expressed his regret of not going further with Tanya as DLC in that game. So yeah it was made clear that Tanya was going to be in that game and Ed wanted it.

Even the wastelands in MK 2011 shows more similarities to the original than the ones you mentioned for MKX. The temple in the background, the purple lighting, and the dead bodies. The Sky Temple in MKX is entirely different. Almost no similarities besides the lighting, Lin Kuei temple in MKDA was just a Disney on ice wonderland, in MKX it's just a tree, statue of the former grandmaster, and a stairway to a temple.

Sure, they don't have to add every costume from the 3D era as gear, but when you add none besides the MKDA mask in Subs gear, it's just a problem and obvious they they don't want to do it because it's post MK3.

Edit: In regards to your Bo' Rai Cho statement, yeah almost every character gets requests. That's not really the reason why he was in. I'm pretty sure the team liking him and Tom Brady had something to do with his inclusion.

Last edited:

Roy Arkon

I wouldn't say it fits well with the rest. He did not do anything in the MK1-MK3 story. He didn't need to be there at all. Yes he was in Mythologies but if they added him for that reason, then why does he have his tattoos? Surely if NRS used MKM:SZ as a reference then why does he have his MKDA design and tattoos? It's obvious they brought him back because they just like him and they just used his latest design. Hell even his MK 2011 alt is a scrapped concept from MKDA.

It's a known fact that Tanya missed MK 2011 by a hairline. She literally almost made the game. Had NRS went ahead with it she would've been in. Boon has expressed his regret of not going further with Tanya as DLC in that game. So yeah it was made clear that Tanya was going to be in that game and Ed wanted it.

Even the wastelands in MK 2011 shows more similarities to the original than the ones you mentioned for MKX. The temple in the background, the purple lighting, and the dead bodies. The Sky Temple in MKX is entirely different. Almost no similarities besides the lighting, Lin Kuei temple in MKDA was just a Disney on ice wonderland, in MKX it's just a tree, statue of the former grandmaster, and a stairway to a temple.

Sure, they don't have to add every costume from the 3D era as gear, but when you add none besides the MKDA mask in Subs gear, it's just a problem and obvious they they don't want to do it because it's post MK3.

Edit: In regards to your Bo' Rai Cho statement, yeah almost every character gets requests. That's not really the reason why he was in. I'm pretty sure the team liking him and Tom Brady had something to do with his inclusion.
Don't wanna go too much off topic so I will try to keep it short.

Quan indeed had his 3D look in MK9, but he also had that in MK Vs. DC which wasn't canon. Also if they did keep his 3D look, doesn't mean they do show some love to the 3D era? As for Tanya, ok maybe Boon was upset about her, but I really don't think it was for that selfish favoritism that you mentioned. Also do you really and honestly think Tom Brady had something to do with Bo' Rai Cho being in MKX? Now that's way too ridiculous to be true. As for the stages, the wastelands didn't had statues like in the MK2 and MKA (like the lions statues), and it didn't had any catapults like in MKA, all it had was the purple sky and bodies, and on the same token, MKX' Sky Temple had the raining tone and the Chinese backgrounds like in MKD/A , and the Lin Kuai Temple had the snow and the temple entrance. I get that you love the 3D era, I love it too, but I think you take it too seriously. There is no why they would bring back the Gear system and not include some 3D era pieces, including more obscure ones.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I love the gear system for the aesthetics. My GL looks SIIIIIIIIIIIICK!

It's a fun diversion to just make a badass-looking costume that's unique to you. Only wished the premier shaders allowed for actual customization.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Leave Gear out of MK otherwise it's MKA all over again...
No, that game was just shit, if the game plays good, then why not have a lot of customization. Anyone who’s favorite character is someone like Jacqui(not that anyone likes her lol) is SOL in terms of customization, but gear would help

BruskyPoet

Johnny bought a car
Don't wanna go too much off topic so I will try to keep it short.

Quan indeed had his 3D look in MK9, but he also had that in MK Vs. DC which wasn't canon. Also if they did keep his 3D look, doesn't mean they do show some love to the 3D era? As for Tanya, ok maybe Boon was upset about her, but I really don't think it was for that selfish favoritism that you mentioned. Also do you really and honestly think Tom Brady had something to do with Bo' Rai Cho being in MKX? Now that's way too ridiculous to be true. As for the stages, the wastelands didn't had statues like in the MK2 and MKA (like the lions statues), and it didn't had any catapults like in MKA, all it had was the purple sky and bodies, and on the same token, MKX' Sky Temple had the raining tone and the Chinese backgrounds like in MKD/A , and the Lin Kuai Temple had the snow and the temple entrance. I get that you love the 3D era, I love it too, but I think you take it too seriously. There is no why they would bring back the Gear system and not include some 3D era pieces, including more obscure ones.
Sure let's not go off topic. In regards to Tom, he stated that he'd drop Sub-Zero if Bo' Rai Cho made it in the game. (We all know how that turned out) I'm 100% certain someone or multiple people in the NRS team said "You know, let's try to make Brady happy, Bo is on our DLC list, so let's just go forward with that since we already like him."

Roy Arkon

Sure let's not go off topic. In regards to Tom, he stated that he'd drop Sub-Zero if Bo' Rai Cho made it in the game. (We all know how that turned out) I'm 100% certain someone or multiple people in the NRS team said "You know, let's try to make Brady happy, Bo is on our DLC list, so let's just go forward with that since we already like him."
I'm sorry but that this statement is not even more ridiculous. Do you really think that NRS would pick Bo' Rai Cho for DLC just because of Brady? Other fans wanted him too, you know. Also, as far as I know, Tom said that only after KP2 was already announced. NRS wouldn't pick a character for just one player, come on dude.

Gear system causes every character to look like an over-detailed monstrosity.

People like it because they can make their own, but its just that- if NRS had made it so there's no gear but the character designs looked like the geared characters we have now we wouldsay it was shitty character design. "Why is Batman wearing all white, with a Beyond mask and heavy armor on the bottom??"

I just hope they dont go full-on Soul Calibur and let players kill the MK aesthetic with random customization like-

Gear system causes every character to look like an over-detailed monstrosity.

People like it because they can make their own, but its just that- if NRS had made it so there's no gear but the character designs looked like the geared characters we have now we wouldsay it was shitty character design. "Why is Batman wearing all white, with a Beyond mask and heavy armor on the bottom??"

I just hope they dont go full-on Soul Calibur and let players kill the MK aesthetic with random customization like-
If we could be that free I would be all for gears

In all fairness, some characters it was a hit with gear and for some it was a massive miss. characters like Poison Ivy dont change much unless shader is changed and characters like Sub Zero change dramatically.

80% of the cast is like Ivy, which is sad but hopefully in the next game they will bring back the gear system for aesthetics only and there will be much less censoring ( a la Black Canary's spray painted top body)