What's new

Tech Corner Reset

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Recently I've been testing different corner setups with Sub against various characters and i've found something that's kind of dirty against Sektor. I've been using 21, d3 and then charging b2. The fully charged b2 hits Sektor out of all his wakeup options after this setup. This sort of eliminates the ex tu wakeup which a lot of sektor's use to escape the corner against Sub. I am aware that dropping a combo to do a d3, b2 is dubious but you can't always hit confirm your 21 into a full combo if you're going for repetitions of 21 anyway, and you do net 41% if he goes for the wakeup and you let the b2 rip (you will freeze him and get njp, b12214,slide), plus the 8% you did originially, anyway.

However, there is another setup which links into this. You can do 22, freeze, jip, 21, d3 for about 17% (20% off a jip, I believe) and then you can go into the b2 shenanigans without completely giving up combo damage. Quick edit: You can achieve the same effect for more damage with 22, freeze, njp b1221, d3. I've tried with 2 njp's but I can't seem to get the timing for that.

I am throwing this out there as I have never seen any Sub-Zero use this and so I am running the risk of looking stupid if this is completely unviable but I believe it may have some use and so it's worth taking that risk. I am not saying it's foolproof as there are probably ways to avoid it, like delaying wakeupand so on, but it is a mindgame which helps to remove the ex tu from play because you can backj dash cancel the b2 if you see him delaying his wakeup and you get to setup behind the clone, or whatever, again.

Hope this is helpful.

Also, perhaps it would be helpful to compile a list of characters this actually works against. It's a handy way of compensating for a dropped string, at the very least. :)

ryublaze

Noob
I've been using B1 (whiff), 2 (in air) or 2, 1, B2 charge but I don't know if the D3 affects anything. I think this set up has been talked about before but it was said to be 100% escapable midscreen due to tech roll. In the corner however he can't escape using tech roll. Have you tried this against Sektor doing a tech rolled wake-up attack? I'm not sure if Sub-Zero has time to back dash cancel and block on reaction to a tech roll or delayed wake-up.

Against characters like Reptile, you can still make a guess as to whether he'll do a wake-up attack or not. You'd have to dash cancel out of B2 right away and block and punish, but it might be better to just not go for this set up against those characters.

EDIT: You can hit confirm 2, 1 into D4, Ice Ball in the corner then do dash, 2, 2, 2.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I've been using B1 (whiff), 2 (in air) or 2, 1, B2 charge but I don't know if the D3 affects anything. I think this set up has been talked about before but it was said to be 100% escapable midscreen due to tech roll. In the corner however he can't escape using tech roll. Have you tried this against Sektor doing a tech rolled wake-up attack? I'm not sure if Sub-Zero has time to back dash cancel and block on reaction to a tech roll or delayed wake-up.

Against characters like Reptile, you can still make a guess as to whether he'll do a wake-up attack or not. You'd have to dash cancel out of B2 right away and block and punish, but it might be better to just not go for this set up against those characters.

and IIRC you can hit confirm 2, 1 into D4, Ice Ball in the corner. I may be wrong on this.
If he tech rolls and then wakes up, he's fine, but you can dash cancel and block in time, better yet, you can release the charge early and you will hit him out of his wakeup.

Also, you can hit him out of every wakeup with 224, freeze if he tech rolls into his wakeup, so it's a guessing game where the risk/reward is stacked in your favour.

Remember this is all matchup specific. I have been testing this against Sektor. I am sure there are other characters this will work against as well as not others. I am thinking freddy might be another this will work against but it needs a lot of testing. I am quite happy to do 212, freeze, d3 and then get a stupid mixup where if my opponent guesses incorrectly they eat a big damage combo.

He can also tech roll and jump out but if you release the charge early you can actually aa him and then combo with 214, slide.

I think it would help if I could post videos of all this but unfortunately I don't have the setup. This setup opens up a lot of possibilities. I mean, who tech rolls and then jumps out against Sub-Zero when they're in the corner... nobody, once you create confusion in the other person's mind you can start back dash cancelling into the clone.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Just reminding you guys of this seeing as it went unnoticed before and the b2 corner reset has only become popular since Reo posted his troll videos. The reason is not to take credit but to explain the setup in full context and and properly situationally (since I meant for the reset to be a situational tool against one character - Sektor). If you want to try it, you will see the d3 knockdown into b2 reset grants you a tighter timing than the 3f4 knockdown does. I also touch on the weaknesses of my own setup in this thread, whereas Reo doesn't explain them in his video.

Hope you take note this time, otherwise, you will be getting blown up for trying a setup you don't fully understand.