What's new

Congratulations to Ketchup!

For representing sektor in the "to all comers" tourney

http://www.twitch.tv/exdragonproject/b/294833971

Lets give one of our main sektor players a round o' applause for playing a great game against a ferocious johnny cage and a great mileena. Personally i find mileena to be a hard matchup for sektor but ketchup handled it well and during the match with mileena it was great to see that overhead in the corner at 17:25 ^_^ made my day.

Lets discuss ketchups strategy against those 2 characters (cage and mileena). i think this tournament vid will help all sektor players in those 2 matchups. Ketchup did a great job off doing tick throws with 1, mixing up with 11 and b34. Great d1 and d4 pokes when needed and properly used b21 at the right distance. Against JC i believe afoxygrampa and ketchup have had this battle thousands of times, they know each others playstyle too well. As for the JC matchup we could all see where sektor lacks against corner pressure and would be nice to have armor on extu (on the way down) since we are already have to waste a bar to get out. Most chars have an armored move so since NRS is handing out armor, why not sektor? In all reality it would be good to have armor on extu but we can still manage (as shown by ketchup) to play this character as top 2 status.

So share your thoughts and give props to ketchup!

Casselman

Also: LockUpYourBones
Ketchup always represents Sektor well. As a fan, I always root for him in the streams I see him attend.

This brings to light, a concern that has had my attention for a while. He couldn't have handled that match much better than he did. He did amazing. Yet that corner f3,3,b3 (i think that's it) from JC pretty much offered no way out. If a D1 can counter. At least thats a start. I haven't tested it. But for Sektor to be completely defenseless on these tight framed rushdown/corners, is brutal. Its his biggest threat. Many people want armor on the EXTU, including myself. But I cant think of any other move that has armor and is safe on block. So I understand if it doesn't get it.

I feel as though maybe giving it to the EX straight missile or the flame may be better. At least its not a double edged sword, keeping balance. Enough to create space for a jumpout offers another situation where who ever guesses right gets the advantage. More than enough for me.

Congrats Ketchup! take care and keep on kickin ass!

Ketchup always represents Sektor well. As a fan, I always root for him in the streams I see him attend.

This brings to light, a concern that has had my attention for a while. He couldn't have handled that match much better than he did. He did amazing. Yet that corner f3,3,b3 (i think that's it) from JC pretty much offered no way out. If a D1 can counter. At least thats a start. I haven't tested it. But for Sektor to be completely defenseless on these tight framed rushdown/corners, is brutal. Its his biggest threat. Many people want armor on the EXTU, including myself. But I cant think of any other move that has armor and is safe on block. So I understand if it doesn't get it.

I feel as though maybe giving it to the EX straight missile or the flame may be better. At least its not a double edged sword, keeping balance. Enough to create space for a jumpout offers another situation where who ever guesses right gets the advantage. More than enough for me.

Congrats Ketchup! take care and keep on kickin ass!
rains ex roundhouse is safe on block. reptiles exacid hand is safe on block (not super armor but projectile armor) Jaxs exdash punch, can be ducked though

and even though sektors extu is safe is still leaves you at a disadvantage i believe.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
rains ex roundhouse is safe on block. reptiles exacid hand is safe on block (not super armor but projectile armor) Jaxs exdash punch, can be ducked though

and even though sektors extu is safe is still leaves you at a disadvantage i believe.
Yeah the Ex teleport leaves him at disadvantage, enough so that a JC player at least can start their frametraps up again.

The move seems really inconsistent to me though, sometimes its invincible and othertimes it gets beaten out. Problem with giving it armour is that it might not help that much because that move to me seems like Sektors version of the spin, its not that hard to bait and both players know that its coming out somewhere along the line.

Yeah the Ex teleport leaves him at disadvantage, enough so that a JC player at least can start their frametraps up again.

The move seems really inconsistent to me though, sometimes its invincible and othertimes it gets beaten out. Problem with giving it armour is that it might not help that much because that move to me seems like Sektors version of the spin, its not that hard to bait and both players know that its coming out somewhere along the line.
exactly, but its just nice to know you can reverse sides in the corner against character especially like cage, congrats Foxy to you too. I just recently picked up sonya and will try to contribute to the sonya forums soon. I love watching you and ketchup play (and mustard!) extu is the easiest wake up to bait IMO so it should at least get you out of the corner for a bar considering your opponent will block it AND get possible chip afterwords.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
His ex Tu being inconsitant on wakeup is just the same as any other wakeup attack in the game. It has to be executed perfeclty to get the full 8 frames of invincibility and then theres those other frameswhere he's vulneralbe with ex tu's start up being longer than 8 frames.

Giving Ex TU armor would be ridiculous imo. sektors already pretty much just below the top chars and he doesnt needany sort of buff atm save for his up missle fix. Its not really that baitable or stuffable either people only stuff it when a sektor players does it on wakeup withiut them doing anything. It will still work reliably if any1 actually try pressuirn or throwsa projectile on your wakeup and theres the constant threat of it too. Giving it armor would allow him to escape frametraps for 30% + whilst being safe which wud be retarded.

I think for JC to start his frame traps sektor has to guess wrong. He's at a few frames disadv so JC gets a guaranteed d3 or d1 but if those are blocked then. Dont think cage can start his traps. The mixup i think is whether cage decides to do another string that gives more frame adv which he can be poked or maybe even uppercutted out of but if cage pokes then he can start his traps. I think thats how it works dont play cage lol.

Ans great matches from ketchup btw. Also has anybody seen vids of sektrol/ unconkable? He was the only other sektor player i followed, did he disappear after evo?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I think for JC to start his frame traps sektor has to guess wrong. He's at a few frames disadv so JC gets a guaranteed d3 or d1 but if those are blocked then. Dont think cage can start his traps. The mixup i think is whether cage decides to do another string that gives more frame adv which he can be poked or maybe even uppercutted out of but if cage pokes then he can start his traps. I think thats how it works dont play cage lol.

Ans great matches from ketchup btw. Also has anybody seen vids of sektrol/ unconkable? He was the only other sektor player i followed, did he disappear after evo?
JC can F3 after a blocked ExTU which is all he needs to start frametrapping

Thanks SektorCyrax btw! :D

Robotic

Gentleman.
Good shit to F0xy and the condiment brothers! I cringed every time i saw a TU to escape the corner that wasnt EX where Im sure he meant it to be EX but it just didnt come out. I fuckinh HATE that. It makes you wanna throw a bottle full of Lyme disease ticks in an orphanage swimming pool.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
i second that lmao, the only time throughout the whole tourney i did a regular one intentionally was on the first round i pretty much had no chance of a comeback and decided "well i'll lose the round but ill have the whole screen to work with" every other time was me doing it by accident :[

i also apologise again for stating the overhead kick had no uses, i was obviously wrong on that one haha!

But if anyone asks why i did certain things id be happy to help, the way i fight against cage is the best way to fight him, unfortunately Foxy knows sektor like the back of his hand now as we play so often so i can only zone him for so long before im stuck in that cage. Thanks very much for your support though, ill represent sektor at every tournament i go to. I'm not dropping him just because i didnt win :)

i second that lmao, the only time throughout the whole tourney i did a regular one intentionally was on the first round i pretty much had no chance of a comeback and decided "well i'll lose the round but ill have the whole screen to work with" every other time was me doing it by accident :[

i also apologise again for stating the overhead kick had no uses, i was obviously wrong on that one haha!

But if anyone asks why i did certain things id be happy to help, the way i fight against cage is the best way to fight him, unfortunately Foxy knows sektor like the back of his hand now as we play so often so i can only zone him for so long before im stuck in that cage. Thanks very much for your support though, ill represent sektor at every tournament i go to. I'm not dropping him just because i didnt win :)
Great cause since joining these forums your Sektor strategies have just increased my level of play even more (I now have a legit corner pressure game thx to that vid) def keep reppin great fight and also gratz to Foxy Grampa

PND_Ketchup

kinda gutted it couldnt have been a twin final to be honest, turns out somebody fucked up and set it to best of 5 as opposed to best of 3 which it was originally supposed to be. best of five was supposed to be for the final :[

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
kinda gutted it couldnt have been a twin final to be honest, turns out somebody fucked up and set it to best of 5 as opposed to best of 3 which it was originally supposed to be. best of five was supposed to be for the final :[
No, MK9 Marvel and SF were best of 5. KOF was supposed to be best of 3 because it takes about half an hour per round

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
actually it was gino suggested best of five for just the finals, they took it to mean best of five all round.

PND_Ketchup

what happened has happened for sure, i'm just dissapointed with a large number of cyrax haters on TYM that have taken this result as an oppurtunity to slam mustard.

yeah take the one cyrax player that DOESN'T bum off resets and slander their name. smart.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Hey Ketchup, their is no need to even fight back. The more you respond, the more others will respond. Do all the talking with actions and you guys have already, so be proud of yourselves.

Hey Mustard, that sig pic makes me smile every time I see it.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Good stuff ketchup! I love whenever UK has a tournament because it means I learn a thing or two about sektor every time. He's my main too so keep it up!

PND_Ketchup

Hey Ketchup, their is no need to even fight back. The more you respond, the more others will respond. Do all the talking with actions and you guys have already, so be proud of yourselves.

Hey Mustard, that sig pic makes me smile every time I see it.
i made it for the both of us, thats a five second microsoft paint special right there!

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Congrats Ketchup! I've always found Cage to be an annoying fight, not so much a disadvantage however. And it did look like Foxy knew what to do against Sektor.

My main two questions I would like to ask are:

Why up missile against Cage or any character that has a strait dash (Reptile, Kabal, ect)? I don't see an advantage to it despite just shooting normal missiles being a little obvious. I feel like the mind game is either missile or flame since these characters don't have a teleport or way in from above. Foxy got in on you a lot when you used up missle.

Second is why not flame to flame? Almost every time you hit Foxy with a flame, he did a njp because he thought you were going to jump at him. You could have hit him with another flame every time. I do flame to flame (and even sometimes flame to flame to flame) until they punish it. Most dash characters can punish it on block (Kabal must EX). The risk isn't that high against Reptile or Cage however.

Anyway, I love watching your matches - congratulations once again.

PND_Ketchup

Congrats Ketchup! I've always found Cage to be an annoying fight, not so much a disadvantage however. And it did look like Foxy knew what to do against Sektor.

My main two questions I would like to ask are:

Why up missile against Cage or any character that has a strait dash (Reptile, Kabal, ect)? I don't see an advantage to it despite just shooting normal missiles being a little obvious. I feel like the mind game is either missile or flame since these characters don't have a teleport or way in from above. Foxy got in on you a lot when you used up missle.

Second is why not flame to flame? Almost every time you hit Foxy with a flame, he did a njp because he thought you were going to jump at him. You could have hit him with another flame every time. I do flame to flame (and even sometimes flame to flame to flame) until they punish it. Most dash characters can punish it on block (Kabal must EX). The risk isn't that high against Reptile or Cage however.

Anyway, I love watching your matches - congratulations once again.
the lack of double flamethrowers was purely on me, i do it alot against most people but obviously after playing foxy for so long it stopped working on him. i was so used to not doing it i forgot it was even possible if he was going to try and jump from it.

i was doing close up rockets so when he moves in he runs into them, its a sorta anti advance thing.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
the lack of double flamethrowers was purely on me, i do it alot against most people but obviously after playing foxy for so long it stopped working on him. i was so used to not doing it i forgot it was even possible if he was going to try and jump from it.

i was doing close up rockets so when he moves in he runs into them, its a sorta anti advance thing.
I figured you were doing up missile because of that. But Iw think bout it this way, he can shadow kick past them with ease. A strait missile will stop that, and in my opinion hinder his advance even more. He can jump them sure, but that's why you read that with a flame thrower. Even if you biff a flame, most of the time it's no big deal against a character like Cage. I'm just wondering if there is something I'm missing with up missile here; I want to use it, but so far outside of ending combos with one to continue pressure or force a wake up - it hasn't helped me too much.

Yo, the overhead has been working wonders for me in the last week or so. I've only been doing the overhead into up missile however since I can't hit confirm it into TU. It was hype to see you pull one off.

Thanks again Ketchup.

PND_Ketchup

I figured you were doing up missile because of that. But Iw think bout it this way, he can shadow kick past them with ease. A strait missile will stop that, and in my opinion hinder his advance even more. He can jump them sure, but that's why you read that with a flame thrower. Even if you biff a flame, most of the time it's no big deal against a character like Cage. I'm just wondering if there is something I'm missing with up missile here; I want to use it, but so far outside of ending combos with one to continue pressure or force a wake up - it hasn't helped me too much.

Yo, the overhead has been working wonders for me in the last week or so. I've only been doing the overhead into up missile however since I can't hit confirm it into TU. It was hype to see you pull one off.

Thanks again Ketchup.
I play foxy's cage different to most cages, He has a really good eye for jumping over straight rockets and then doing F3,2 to punish a fullscreen rocket lmao. against a really smart cage they will jump over frequent straight missiles with ease, for the most part though you can get away with it. But sometimes you need to mix it up with UM's so they're not sure weather to advance or not.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ

Thanks again Ketchup.
It's not possible to hc his overhead into TU. You have to do over head into ex TU to be safe. The combo you get after is still decent though and almost the same dmg. overhead ex TU jk TU b21 (or uppercut for easier timing) and if you want to end in flame you have to do 12 flame.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I wish I was good enough with Sektor to put in the full 24 hours so I could call myself "Master Of Robots."

The way you timed out Skelter's Mileena and her damndable kicks was a treat to watch.
Way to remind the world of the power of the red side of the force. Epic.
You and Mustard oughta do a Brady/CDJr and tape a fight session. I'd pop for watching the saucy siblings duke it out.

I'm loving how awesome the recent string of tourneys has been. I spend more time watching them than I do TV nowadays.
Television's got nothing on Kombat, man.

Hanks, your sig kills me. Lol.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
It's not possible to hc his overhead into TU. You have to do over head into ex TU to be safe. The combo you get after is still decent though and almost the same dmg. overhead ex TU jk TU b21 (or uppercut for easier timing) and if you want to end in flame you have to do 12 flame.
In terms of damage from the overhead combo, I feel like I would rather use that bar somewhere else. If the overhead hits at the very least the up missile will force a wake up that I can punish or give me some free pressure for no meter. I don't use the overhead often, thus normally the up missile really catches bitches off guard.

Good shit though everyone.

That's also really good to know that Cage can shit all over strait missile. That is where those random flame throwers can come in handy imo.