What's new

Confidence and Aggressiveness

How important are these 2 factors? I've noticed through the past year (?) that often times the most Confident and Aggressive players will usually come out on top, while the other player will usualy end up turtleing 90% of the match.

abc ur dead0 said:
So someone who expertly countered a rush down wouldn't come out on top of a person who rushes down?
]

The rusher controls the pace of the match, that's a huge mental advantage.

The best player would have to be the smart, aggressive player who can be either or both at any given time and can counter the same.

I would assume that the top players do have the highest degrees of confidence due to their high winning percentages. How direct the effects of entering a match with a high degree of confidence are is hard to tell. Someone can be the worst player in the world but still enter his matches ten times more confidently than his opponents and he'll still lose because he simply lacks the skill. On the other hand, a low enough degree of confidence in a skilled player may affect him psychologically and hinder his thinking in his matches increasing his chances of losing, but not guaranteeing it.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
A good defensive player can give troubles to the rusher, but the *expert* rusher will always have the advantage, since umk3 is mainly based in rush down techniques imo.
I love to play vs turtlers btw

Derek

Noob
Why? You're just going to quit. I don't get you DarXyd3, I really don't. You're not bad but at the same time you're nowhere near as good as the people you talk shit on. Everyone talks shit on you because you act like you're hot shit and then when you can't back it up you just quit and talk more shit. When you stop being a little bitch come see me then.

Eh, for me it kinda goes both ways. I pretty much find a balance between rushing down and turtling, although I can do both in extremes. I do think it goes both ways(like a bisexual, you get it? you get the pun there hahaha :lol: ) because I've heard that Bill(one of the most aggressive rushers I've seen in vids, one who I model some of my Kabal style after) has been beaten by simple anti-rush tactics.

abc ur dead0 said:
So someone who expertly countered a rush down wouldn't come out on top of a person who rushes down?
Well if the they were countered they wouldn't be expertly rushing would they?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You can't simply be aggressive and confident and expect to win regardless, but there are ways to set people up to make mistakes while being aggressive, just as there are ways to totally counter aggressive rush down, it just requires a lot of patience. For example, you can't mindlessly counter rush Kabal because there are certain inherent defensive postures that are still in effect while he's rushing, like his throw range when run jabbing, or the spin sitting there waiting for you. You have to really think it out, and when you take him over, Kabal can the still win with keep away. If you're easily beating Kabal players with rush down, you are either a lot better than them, or they are not good to begin with.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Honestly, it's both a good defense and offense. Granted, UMK3 is no doubt the most aggressive MK out there(MK4 perhaps also) but UMK3 IMO is the most aggressive with the run button.

In the newer MK's, you MUST turtle as part of your game to win. Bait your foe, let them come to you and counter, attack wisely....

In UMK3, there's the rush game constantly almost but I do agree that if you have a hardcore defense, that can stop a good offense.

Afterall, from sports to games most will tell you" a good defense makes a good offense"

Sometimes part of defense is offense countering an aggressive offense to begin with.

In all MK games turtling is a key factor, more so in the newer ones though then the older ones.

lol the correct saying is "offence wins games, defense wins championships"

at an intermediate level, like darkxyd (lok im kidding), the more aggresive and confident rusher will almost always win. When you are breaking the game down to matters of chip damage though both people are wise enough to understand the rush game and it is almost irrelevant, the winner will be whoever executes.

mistaKM said:

at an intermediate level, like darkxyd (lok im kidding), the more aggresive and confident rusher will almost always win. When you are breaking the game down to matters of chip damage though both people are wise enough to understand the rush game and it is almost irrelevant, the winner will be whoever executes.
I'd say it's the loser makes two(three with lower tier) mistakes.

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
you have to have defense down of course, but that is not going to win your fights at all. defense is there to give you another chance, and sometimes you don't get one in this game.

giving people no room to work out their strategy is what you are after.

if you can disrupt their thinking for just an instant and start a flurry, it will force them to react to your game until you are done(or if they defend it properly).

thing is, defending takes a lot of energy away (like real life woah), so make it minimal.

MKF30

mistaKM said:

Totally different quote man lol, I'm quoting Wolverine actually but that's been around before he said that lol. But nice one, that's a sports quote right? lol :p

I've heard that quote a few times with baseball, football etc.

More or less defense wins, but defense can be an offense. One thing I'm pretty certain of though is as I said earlier in the newer MK's, defense is a lot more important because no rush game due to no run button, take the run button out of UMK3 and the game is all counter and defense. UMK3 and MK4 with that run button make them IMO the most aggressive MK's out there. :)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
"Best defense is a good offense, or is it the other way around?" - Wolverine

MKF30

I think that's right lol, now it has me wondering darn it :lol:

That sounds right. BTW, is that you Shock? In your avy, you look like the rocker type. I mean that in a good way man. :wink:

You look like you would be in a band or have your own or something.

MKF30

Ohh cool, you know the funny part about that is that I naturally have a really deep voice. I sound like the current MK announcers, dark and evil all that 8)

One of my friends from MKO, his name is pighut has a band and is a rocker for sure. He told me after we met a few years back that I sound like Petrr Steele from Typ'O Negative.

So, I'm assuming he has a really deep voice then.

I thought shock had long hair that's why I thought that initially. :p