What's new

Comparison and Differences of 3D Fighters: Tekken6, VF5, DoA4, SCV

I haven't played Tekken since Tekken 1 and Tekken 2 on the PS1 and I wasn't a big fan of the game because there was an over emphasis on juggling in combos and the game felt kind of slow compared to other fighting games at the time. I guess because of that I haven't ever tried to get into 3d fighting games. But recently I got excited by VF5FS and borrowed a copy of the PS3 version of VF5 to see if I should consider purchasing VF5FS when it becomes available. The game actually was fun and deep (although I doubt I'll ever have the time to put so much into the game other than playing it a little more than casually). Now I'm considering checking out other 3D fighters.

I was wondering for all 3D FG veterans, out of the current generation 3D FGs (Tekken6, VF5, DoA4, SCV), how would you compare them? I'm not asking to know which is better and worse, because that's a matter of opinion, but rather how would you compare them with regards to the following:

1) pace of fighting: ordering them from fastest to slowest
2) ease of combo execution: from easiest to hardest
3) length of combos: from longest to shortest (it seems that some of these have significantly longer combos than the others mentioned).
4) learning curve: easiest to hardest
5) character charisma: most interesting characters to least interesting
6) technicality: most technical to least technical
7) offensive vs. defensive: played with focus on offense to games played with more focus on defense

2 poinst:
Regarding #6: I always here that DoA4 is less technical than VF5. How is that exactly? It seems it has the same type of characters with 40+ moves and players have to take opponent weight into consideration when executing juggling combos.

Regarding point #7: Every time I watch a SCV match on youtube, it seems the players spend so much time blocking the game almost looks like it's mostly played in defensive stances rather than rush in offense. This kind of makes the game look slow too.

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
Well there is not much of use to compare them this way - either you love it or hate it won't be decided by those factors.
Look for the game with the characters and style you can adept to easily. But if you say that you don't really have time to play those in a higher level than casual just don't go with virtua fighter, its hard and I couldn't really enjoy it at first. However tekken is enjoyable and can be played in a casual level for fun. Doa is fun and hard so as SCV in a higher level. So it's just up to your taste, but imho from all of the fgs you mentioned virtua fighter is the most complex at first. For long combos you have tekken too bad they are boring. And the music is awful. : (

From my experience with older Tekken games and from watching recorded matches, I don't think I'm going to like Tekken 6 nor Tekken Tag Tournament 2. As for Soul Calibur V, it looks kind of slow and the combos all look short. VF5 was fun so I most likely will download VF5FS. DoA5 also looks very exciting.

NKZero

Noob
From my experience with older Tekken games and from watching recorded matches, I don't think I'm going to like Tekken 6 nor Tekken Tag Tournament 2. As for Soul Calibur V, it looks kind of slow and the combos all look short. VF5 was fun so I most likely will download VF5FS. DoA5 also looks very exciting.
my only 3D experience is from old Tekken games (like you) and 3D MK games. TTT1 was an amazing game as was Tekken 3. The older Tekken's were certainly much better than Tekken 6. I'm not sure about TTT2 I need to look closer into it. As for the other games you listed I haven't played them so I can't comment. I know PL is a big fan of DoA and he said this game looks great so I guess you can't go wrong with it. Virtua Fighter is a solid game as far as I know as well. Dunno anything about Soul Calibur...