What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Community Suggested Improvements For Shinnok

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
I know everyone is making buff lists for characters and I don't want to follow those threads with the same mentality. These are just changes that 'I' believe will benefit the character. I try not to suggest anything too crazy or seemingly overpowered and generally focus on what the character already does well and most importantly making the majority of Shinnok's small move set usable.

Feel free to leave your own suggestions.

UNIVERSAL SUGGESTIONS

3 (QUICK STOMP) to move Shinnok forward
Although it's slow and does not have any inherent mixup properties, this move has the potential to be very useful. It is Shinnok's main hit-confirmable string and also a true block string into Necromancer's Devil's Flick move. The dilemma is that this move has a terrible hitbox and makes it incredibly hard to use it even off a Jump-In-Punch. If this attack moved Shinnok forward a little bit, it would be consistent enough to use in more situations

B,F+3 (CHARGING SHOULDER) recovery on hit reduced to 12f
It's unsafe on block so you have to use this move in combos anyway and then when you hit someone with it you're stuck to the floor in recovery frames. If its recovery is reduced by half you can chase people after hitting it and make it easier to extend the specific combos that can be followed up from it.

B,F+3+Block (KRUSHING SHOULDER) recovery on hit reduced to 12f
Read above

B,F+1+Block (AMULET CURSE) to gain armor but become -6f/-7f on block
This move had uses before Shinnok's fixes because Hell Sparks couldn't be meter burned on block at the time. Now that you can meter burn Hell Sparks, this move has been completed invalidated. Hell Sparks are +24 on block versus Amulet Curse's +14 on block. Hell Sparks are hit-confirmable for either advantage on block or a combo on hit. Hell Sparks also does 13% with a meter burn and builds more meter. So what's the incentive to use Amulet Curse? Just change Amulet Curse to a safe armored wake up/reversal considering that if it hits he only going to get 9% unless he's in the corner.

BONE SHAPER SUGGESTIONS

F+2,2,1+3 (DEITY) to become +3 on hit
Besides an awesome brutality what's the actual advantage or using this move? Shinnok's opponents can jump out of the pressure/mixup that he would normally attempt to use because this moves in 0 on hit and he's not exactly the fastest character. Give him 3 frames to work with considering you normally have to give up damage to use this move.

F+4,1,D+2,U+2 (Brute Strength) recovery on hit reduced to 18f
Similarly to Shinnok's shoulder moves, this move is unsafe on block but can be combo'd off in the corner. The real issue is the obnoxious amount of recovery that is holding it back from being his only real meterless launcher. Halfing it's recovery would hopefully allow him get a NJP instead of a D+1. It'll only combo in the corner and it'll still be unsafe. Right now there isn't a reason to use this string ender when most of his special moves can provide better benefits.

F+3,1,D+2,U+2 (Konquer All) recovery on hit reduced to 18f
Read above

Scepter Launch to launch opponent consistently
It feels like every time that a combo is done with this move, it has to be adjusted to make sure that you don't miss the NJP follow up. Just needs a consistent launch pattern that will work the same way anywhere on screen.

Dark Beam to become plus on Hit
It's not the worst thing in the world but it could use some improvements because this move isn't reliable in fireball wars. Hitting this move grant the same advantage as if it traded with the opponent. Just make is less laggy on recovery and give it advantage on hit.

NECROMANCER

B,F+2 (DEVIL'S FLICK) to have hitbox and active frames increased
This move is actually quite good already considering the tools he has to support it in this variation. It only needs to be less of a risk to utilize at range. It doesn't need to be Kenshi's Teleflurry or anything like that.

B,F+2+Block (DEVIL'S BACKHAND) to hitbox and active frames increased
Read above

D,F+4 (SUMMONED FIEND) to have slightly increased startup and tracking
This is already a great move because it grants a Hard Knockdown it just doesn't combo off moves that it technically should. Maybe reducing to startup by 2 frames and giving it better tracking might make it more comboable.

D,F+4+Block (SUMMONED SLAM) to have slightly increased startup and tracking and a damage increase to 12%
Similarly to the above explanation, this is purely to make this move more comboable, but it current scales combos too heavily, which gives more incentive to use Hell Sparks. Upping the damage will hopefully solve that.

Last edited:

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
Reo's suggestions:

Shinnok:

Necromancer
- D,B+4 hand summon has better tracking on ground and catches people trying to run.

- Can now cancel into D,B+1 on HIT (just like Goro can cancel into his slow unblockable tele stomp).

- EN D,B+4 now hits low.

- EN B,F+2 now hits overhead.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
<< Brute Strength recovery on hit reduced to 18f >>
Similarly to Shinnok's shoulder moves, this move is unsafe on block but can be combo'd off in the corner. The real issue is the obnoxious amount of recovery that is holding it back from being his only real meterless launcher. Halfing it's recovery would hopefully allow him get a NJP instead of a D+1. It'll only combo in the corner and it'll still be unsafe. Right now there isn't a reason to use this string ender when most of his special moves can provide better benefits.

<< Konquer All to recover in 18f >>
Read above
Which moves are these? Give me inputs.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
If anyone arrives in your thread hating, disregard them. These are good suggestions and he needs them. Only things I disagree with is this-

"B3 -6 on block". No. If all your suggestions rang true he wouldn't need a safe OH. Be happy they even gave him one in the first place. With these needed changes implemented he would be perfectly fine. All of these 50/50's need to be made more unsafe, not the other way around.

"BF2 Devil's Flick". Yes. It does need to be like Kenshi's Telefurry. If Kenshi can destroy all runs, keep the full screen carry hard knockdown, and even crush jumps at distance on read/reaction, then why shouldn't Shinnok's designed zoning variation with tools specifically for this purpose not do so as well? This move and the Summon Grab are in dire need of this buff. I think these two moves need really huge buffs in the tracking and hitbox department because as of now they are far too easy to blow up.

Pretty much agree with the rest of your list.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
If anyone arrives in your thread hating, disregard them. These are good suggestions and he needs them. Only things I disagree with is this-

"B3 -6 on block". No. If all your suggestions rang true he wouldn't need a safe OH. Be happy they even gave him one in the first place. With these needed changes implemented he would be perfectly fine. All of these 50/50's need to be made more unsafe, not the other way around.

"BF2 Devil's Flick". Yes. It does need to be like Kenshi's Telefurry. If Kenshi can destroy all runs, keep the full screen carry hard knockdown, and even crush jumps at distance on read/reaction, then why shouldn't Shinnok's designed zoning variation with tools specifically for this purpose not do so as well? This move and the Summon Grab are in dire need of this buff. I think these two moves need really huge buffs in the tracking and hitbox department because as of now they are far too easy to blow up.

Pretty much agree with the rest of your list.
You're probably right. However, if B+3 is going to have the same frame data, I'd at least like for it to do 7% so it doesn't scale combos so hard..
In terms of flick, most people think that it should be as Tele Flurry. They can all be wrong.

There's no reason to finish those combos in the first place. Unnecessary.
Isn't that the point I'm making in the first place? If it had less recovery there WOULD be a reason to finish that string.
You can currently just about combo a D+1 into something else. So having less recovery on hit would allow you to have Shinnok's only meterless string launcher and it would be exclusive to the corner. I can't see anything other that as anything other than useful.

Last edited:

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Impostor: (Still on the fence with these)
Mimicry to do 8%
Mimicry no longer gets a damage boost

Universal:
Fix his mids F2,(2), Shoulder and 3,(1) so that they hit mid.
B3 damage increased to 7%
EX Amulet slight damage increase and breaks armor.

Bone Shaper:
Dark Beam knocks down on hit. EX hits overhead and hits low profiling moves
F3_F4,1,D2 slight damage buff
EX Scepter to combo more consistently.

Necromancer:
Devil's Flick to come out slightly faster and have a better hitbox.
Summoned Fiend to have better tracking to catch runners.

Last edited:
MB BF1 still has a use in corner as you can combo off of it and do more dmg than mb hellsparks, even though its not exactly the greatest move, it still has some uses. I agree though that if it had armor that would be nice.

Isn't that the point I'm making in the first place? If it had less recovery there WOULD be a reason to finish that string.
You can currently just about combo a D+1 into something else. So having less recovery on hit would allow you to have Shinnok's only meterless string launcher and it would be exclusive to the corner. I can't see anything other that as anything other than useful.
It doesn't really matter though, f41d2 already pretty much does that, I mean yeah it would be cool if f41d2u2 had some uses but it's not really all that necessary

Impostor: (Still on the fence with these)
Mimicry to do 8%
Mimicry no longer gets a damage boost
Idk about this, the dmg buff is really useful when you go into hs pressure after mimicry, and since the 8% would scale pretty heavily in combos that wouldn't help all that much imo

Braindead

You're probably right. However, if B+3 is going to have the same frame data, I'd at least like for it to do 7% so it doesn't scale combos so hard..
In terms of flick, most people think that it should be as Tele Flurry. They can all be wrong.

He already has meterless launchers in the corner with B3, F3/41d2. I don't really think that buff is necessary.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
He already has meterless launchers in the corner with B3, F3/41d2. I don't really think that buff is necessary.
That's fair enough. However, in my opinion him having a corner specific 15% meterless launcher 'slightly more' comboable is not unnecessary. What is unnecessary is that Shinnok has string enders that is so awful on hit no one uses them. I cant understand why someone wouldn't want a character to actually use what has been appropriated to them.

Braindead

That's fair enough. However, in my opinion him having a corner specific 15% meterless launcher 'slightly more' comboable is not unnecessary. What is unnecessary is that Shinnok has string enders that is so awful on hit no one uses them. I cant understand why someone wouldn't want a character to actually use what has been appropriated to them.
Yeah I know how you feel. But it's been more or less the norm in NRS games to have useless strings with all characters so you shouldn't sweat about it.

LavaG

Representing Gamers Republic GH
Just make hell sparks -12 so i can abuse the shit out of it. Also fix the tracking and hitbox issues with devils backhand and summoned fiend

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Idk about this, the dmg buff is really useful when you go into hs pressure after mimicry, and since the 8% would scale pretty heavily in combos that wouldn't help all that much imo
His damage output is all over the place in all of his variations which is why I want to see it changed...because right now its only favoring Impostor as its most damaging variation.

I would mainly suggest fixing his f2,2 and 1124 and 312 whiffing issues.
Also for Impostor:
Make him use the stolen power with a different input from db1(mimicry). So that he keeps the mimicry restand after stealing something useless in combos, but maybe useful in other situations. That way you can keep the stolen move until it actually can be useful without having to give up the vortex.

[Qlegion666, post: 1772149, member: 11544"]I would mainly suggest fixing his f2,2 and 1124 and 312 whiffing issues.
Also for Impostor:
Make him use the stolen power with a different input from db1(mimicry). So that he keeps the mimicry restand after stealing something useless in combos, but maybe useful in other situations. That way you can keep the stolen move until it actually can be useful without having to give up the vortex.[/QUOTE]
I completely agree with you...about the vortex option..

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Yeah honestly I would just like the whiffing issues fixed and maybe mess with pushback stuff to make more normals make hell sparks connect

1.Imposter-
Ex Amulet- he needs more properties..the huge block stun is nice and the contact damage is decent but i believe if someone throws a projectile Shinnok should be able to absorb it for health increase or absorb an have it as another option mimicry but with 15sec damage boost or at least reflect with damage boost. Not just projectile negate and thats it...really hope they fix it.
Teleport- he should have a Ex teleport that Shinnok double teleports..either to the ground and behind or vice versa at least an ex version.
Shoulder charge- a ex property for imposter would be good...not just corner but mid screen

2.Necromancer-
Bone unblockable squash- needs to come out little faster..there is no fear when you see his hand go up...too easy escape

1.Imposter-
Ex Amulet- he needs more properties..the huge block stun is nice and the contact damage is decent but i believe if someone throws a projectile Shinnok should be able to absorb it for health increase or absorb an have it as another option mimicry but with 15sec damage boost or at least reflect with damage boost. Not just projectile negate and thats it...really hope they fix it.
Teleport- he should have a Ex teleport that Shinnok double teleports..either to the ground and behind or vice versa at least an ex version.
Shoulder charge- a ex property for imposter would be good...not just corner but mid screen

2.Necromancer-
Bone unblockable squash- needs to come out little faster..there is no fear when you see his hand go up...too easy escape
I would love his Amulet to have a use like that - reflecting or absorbing for something. Because it is useless now apart from corner combos. And his Amulet is the most powerful weapon in MK lore)
Ex teleport or Ex Mimicry where he would steal maybe a different move would be sick!

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
Would be nice to make his db1 in necromancer a cancelable move, the layer of complexity would be ridiculous in that variation....also if they gave boneshaper more normals with the scythe such as njp would be him slashing down with the scythe like EB.