What's new

Combo / Wakeup Help for a FG Noob

Ok I've been playing Injustice since a week after release. I have never played a combo heavy fighter. The last fighting games I played were original MK1+2 and Turbo SF2. I know this is the MK forum, but I'm not getting much response in the Injustice gameplay forum so I thought I'd try here since they are so similar.

I've been slowly learning some lingo and trying to work on my game. I've been playing around with a lot of the characters trying to find one to stick with. My biggest problem is trying to understand combos past the ones in the move list.

For exmaple I can pull off combos on the list, but have no idea how to progress further when I read the combos on this website. One of my problems is understanding and how to pull off CANCELS, RESETS, BOUNCE CANCELS and WAKEUPS specifically. These seem pretty integral to me getting past scrub zone and becoming a better player.

EX: Shazam combo posted = f22 HMmb xxji3 112 AT

Do I press in succession f2,2,HMmb,ji3,1,1,2,AT ? (I haven't been able to do a simple combo and throw out a special at the end of the combo. Is it timing? Also, what is xx, I know its a cancel, what I don't understand is if this is where I try the dash dash attack bounce cancel? Or does it mean something else?

Common terms I see, which I assume refer to cancels, but I don't know what to press, or if I just follow up with the string after without hesitation.

xx, EX, ~, >, /

Also, I try wakeups, but it seems I stand up and then perform the attack, its not like it seems like an instant or invincible attack off of getting up.

Any explanation for a modern day fighting noob on how, and when during a combo to input these commands and what these expressions mean would be greatly appreciated.

PS3 with a hori mini fighting stick. (I know not a great stick, but I prefer it over the controller due to crisper directional inputs.)

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Most simple combos canceled into specials you have to input like you dial a phone number a bit fast. Don't mash buttons! Don't press more buttons! Let say Shazams 112xxtorpedo: just press 112bf2 like is one string. It cancels automatically!

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
I don't blame you since Shazam's highest combos can be suspect to being dropped sometimes.

Another solution would be to start by messing with a low execution character. An example would be Green Lantern. His combo system is extremely self-explanatory and very easy to pull off. Practice some of his bread and butters and then move on to characters with slightly more difficult combos. Doing this in succession will give you a clear idea on how the combo system works in Injustice and will encourage you to experiment with a lot of different aspects of the game.

A list of characters with easy combos (in my opinion)
-Green Lantern
-Superman
-Batman
-Sinestro
-Solomon Grundy
-Flash (unique combo system, but very easy to pull off heavy damage with)

It's not that everyone elses' combos are hard, not by any stretch of the imagination. Its just that these characters (amongst a couple of others) have combo systems that are excellent to learn the game with. Main whoever you want, but I personally feel its essential to learn the execution of characters with basic combos first and foremost.

Yeah I just played around a bit stringing a few simple combos together with Shazam. I can do his f223 112AT right now. Also punishing in the corner 112,112,112 so I think I am starting to understand at least. Its definitely a ton of muscle memory and I see why people "main" a character, so the muscle memory of all their moves becomes second nature, plus with all the traps, mind games, spacing on top of memorizing combos.

I wanted to main Shazam, but one of his best moves in combos is his command grab. I can pull it off standing next to someone with my stick, but in the middle of a combo its such a hit or miss move. I'd hate to give up on him, but the inputs for that grab have me accidentally jumping in the air or backing up in the middle of a combo. Maybe I'll come back to him once I get good with an easier character. Right now its looking like maybe Batman, since he doesn't have any bad MUs, at least until I get down pulling off combos during matches and learning the ropes better.

Thanks a lot guys, this really helped a lot. Now, how do I practice wakeups? In training I cannot get the AI to just knock me down and stand there so I can practice the timing of getting up.

Thanks a lot guys, this really helped a lot. Now, how do I practice wakeups? In training I cannot get the AI to just knock me down and stand there so I can practice the timing of getting up.
Practice with the a.i. on normal or hard in practice mode. Not only will it let you practice your wake up attacks, but it will improve your overall execution more than just practicing combos on a standing dummy. It will also improve your defense. At least it helped me.