What's new

Columbus Bar Battles 3 - Columbus OH, 8/21 - Pot bonuses + Free drinks + A/C + UMK3!

Tim Static

Adminerator
(taken from SRK thread found here: http://shoryuken.com/f7/columbus-bar-battles-3-columbus-oh-8-21-now-momo%C2%B2-pot-bonuses-umk3-241355/ )

Columbus Bar Battles 3 will be held in Columbus, OH on August 21st, 2010

WE'VE GOT A VENUE CHANGE!!! CBB3 is now being held at MOMO²! Read below for details.

:raiden: Attention!! :raiden:| Attention!! :raiden: Attention!! :raiden: Attention!! :raiden: Attention!! :raiden: Attention!! :raiden: Attention!! :raiden: Attention!! :raiden: Attention!! :raiden:

If you are attending this tournament, please read this post: 8/14 update

We are now requiring [free] pre-registration. You must pre-register to participate in the tournament! If someone from your crew is coming to CBB3, let them know, especially if they don't check this thread often. The pre-registration form is here: Columbus Bar Battles 3 Registration
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click here for the flyer!

Our 3rd event is brought to you by Columbus Fighting Games, the MidWest Arc, and the Columbus fighting game community. More games, more hype!

All brackets will be run by either myself, Ailerus, Brent (MrBlasty), Tim Static, Ghaleon, or other trusted members of the community.

A live stream and commentary will again be provided by the legendary Brent Harris aka MrBlasty, along with guest commentary from various other players such as myself and anyone who belongs in the chair and on the air.

Venue information
MOMO²
2885 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43202
(614) 784-0888
Directions

The tournament will be held at the much-revered MOMO², primarily known as the home of Season's Beatings for 5 years running. If you've never been to MOMO², it is a large, comfortable venue with a laid-back atmosphere. In addition to great food, they also serve bubble tea and alcohol to those of age. If that's not your thing, there are plenty of fast food and not-so-fast food joints within walking distance, including the popular Raising Cane's. But please, respect the venue -- no outside food or drinks permitted! There is plenty of parking in front of the venue and throughout the shopping center, especially since there will be no other major events that day.

Vuvuzelas are permitted at this event. However, our tournament staff, nor the Zeno's staff, nor any attendees present are responsible for what may happen to you or your vuvuzela should you attempt to use it.

Schedule, entry fees, and payouts
Doors open at 12:00pm noon, though the bar opens at 11:00am. If you arrive before noon, you can chill at the bar or help us set up. :)

Venue fee is $10. Everything we receive after covering our costs will be split evenly across all non-SSF4 games as a pot bonuses! Just to be clear, I've marked (*) all games that will receive pot bonuses.

If you bring a TV or a console + appropriate game, you will receive $5 off the venue fee. If you bring a full setup (TV + console + cables + game), your venue fee will be waived. We don't need an unlimited number of setups so please PM myself or MrBlasty if you plan on supplying something. The final cut-off will be determined at the venue, first come first served, so PMing us early and then showing up at 3:00pm with a SSFIV setup ain't gonna cut it.

Super Street Fighter IV will start at 1:00pm sharp. Other times are rough estimates.

* Denotes a pot bonus.

1:00pm
Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) - $10

2:00pm~3:00pm
*BlazBlue Continuum Shift (Xbox 360) - $5
*Melty Blood Actress Again (PS2) - $5

4:00pm~5:00pm
*Super Street Fighter II HD Remix (Xbox 360) - $10
*Tekken 6 (PS3) - $10

6:00pm~7:00pm
*Marvel vs Capcom 2 (DC) - $5 + Low Tier - $TBA
*Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (TBA) - $5
*Virtua Fighter 5 (Xbox 360) - $5

???
Random MAME Fighting Game Tournament (PC) - $2
Side tournament(s) for the top vote-in game(s) - $TBA

Tournament rules
All games will be double elimination, or round robin + finals for games with 5 or less entrants. Games will be 2/3 matches, then 3/5 for all finals (winners, losers, grand).

In double elimination tournaments, the player coming from losers into grand finals will have to take 2 sets of 3/5 to win. After each match, loser can switch character, winner cannot. In grand finals, if the player coming from losers resets the score, both players can change character in the 1st match of the 2nd set. All games played on 2/3 rounds unless specified.

Pot split will be 70% / 20% / 10% for 1st / 2nd / 3rd, respectively in all games.

In SSFIV or MBAA, if a player pauses the game during a tournament match, the other player can choose to get a free match, play the match over, or unpause keep playing. In BBCS, HDR, T6, UMK3, and VF5, the match will be replayed from the appropriate round, since in those games, meters either don't exist, reset, or are easy to reset (# of bursts in BBCS). In MvC2 just let it rock cause DC blue screens are a way of life.

Game-specific rules
Super Street Fighter IV: Winner can switch ultra.
BlazBlue Continuum Shift: All characters allowed. Makoto and Mu will be available.
Super Street Fighter II HD Remix: Akuma is banned.
Melty Blood Actress Again: Archetype Earth is banned.
Tekken 6: 3/5 rounds, 60 seconds, random stage.
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: Game-breaking bugs banned, you know what they are.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3: Gameplay-altering kodes are banned. Throwing is encouraged. :)
Virtua Fighter 5: 3/5 rounds, 45 seconds, random stage.

See you there!

SANS POWER

Banned
You can still auto-block on a stick. A lot of the people I played at the tournament last weekend use kara-jabs where every single rub jab they throw out they cancel with block. That was done on an arcade stick, I don't see why you hate the other auto-block tactic.. It puzzles me.

SANS POWER

Banned
Sorry, i just saw this. its on cab and a old control panel, so just sticks.
Tim, you should talk to Shock and them guys about having those tournaments held in the midwest. They should come out to Ohio or Michigan at least once a year, it would bring in more players from around the area like IL, Indiana, Ohio, and other areas around the midwest. I know that if there was more of those tournaments in Ohio I'd come out there every single time. Philly is too far of a drive for me and I'm never taking the bus again. So, the only way I'd go there again is by plane and that means I'm going to start saving now until Decemeber. I don't know, just a thought for players that are in the midwest, shit even Pittsburgh would be a closer drive to Ohio then Philly.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Sans, Scheiss is there any Fighting games tournaments in Michigan? If there are some(even a major one for the whole year) it's worth coming but we gotta know in advance so plans can be made. Personally other than School i do not have any other time or money consuming hobbies or activities, so I would definitely spend the money on it. Sans I know there wont be pad station to SB5 but bassically there are gonna be tons of laptops running in the rooms for casuals. You and Scheiss can organize something together. That will be awesome.

MRIGOTBASS

So you will not allow us to bring a PS3 controller? Only Arcade Sticks ? If this is the case what is the point of that ? Let me know as I was going to come but if its sticks only forget it. I really hope this has nothing to do with last weekend.

MRIGOTBASS

They have been buying arcade cabs and adding all MK boards for a while now. There will be several cabs in most of the locations that tournaments are held now. An option that wasn't previously available. The idea is to play UMK3 (not a port), which was built specifically for arcade hardware.

Every element that is different from playing on an arcade cabinet, changes the strategy of the game to some degree.
Ok, I just find it funny as posted at ultimatemk.com http://ultimatemk.com/vForum/showthread.php?t=4639

"The custom setup that we'll be using for UMK3 will be ready in a couple of days.

I'll post pics and info when it's done.

For those of you that need the official arcade layout to play, you'll be covered, as well as those who want to play on pad (ps2 pads)."

Can we get clarification please.

SANS POWER

Banned
lol, please tell me you took Greyhound. I've had to stay overnight in that station twice and chill with the bums because I was too angry to get a room.
I did take greyhound and it's the last time I take it too. It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many layovers and not to mention the seats are uncomfortable and for some reason, it seems like everybody you get stuck sitting next to has horrible breath. It doesn't help when all the seats are so close except for the emergency exit seats.

The detroit station isn't so bad, but as soon as I got home, within the first 5 minutes of stepping back onto Detroit I was offered a Eminem CD, some guy told me I had nice shoes. Another guy kept asking me if I needed a ride back home, some guy tried selling me a gucci chain and told me to follow him around the back of the station and this dude kept asking me for money..

I'm flying next time, I'm not driving to Philly by myself and I'm not taking a bus, fuck that shit.

SANS POWER

Banned
"The custom setup that we'll be using for UMK3 will be ready in a couple of days.
I'll post pics and info when it's done.
For those of you that need the official arcade layout to play, you'll be covered, as well as those who want to play on pad (ps2 pads)."
If we can use pads, I will come out, but other then that I'm not playing on a stick. Did you guys just recently change the rules or something?? It says as well as the people who want to play on pad.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I did take greyhound and it's the last time I take it too. It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many layovers and not to mention the seats are uncomfortable and for some reason, it seems like everybody you get stuck sitting next to has horrible breath. It doesn't help when all the seats are so close except for the emergency exit seats.

The detroit station isn't so bad, but as soon as I got home, within the first 5 minutes of stepping back onto Detroit I was offered a Eminem CD, some guy told me I had nice shoes. Another guy kept asking me if I needed a ride back home, some guy tried selling me a gucci chain and told me to follow him around the back of the station and this dude kept asking me for money..

I'm flying next time, I'm not driving to Philly by myself and I'm not taking a bus, fuck that shit.
Props to you going through all of that to get there, dude. Seriously..

SANS POWER

Banned
Props to you going through all of that to get there, dude. Seriously..
No, no, no, well see, I drove to Pittsburgh and then met up Bass in that fucking CL benz aka Dat Coke Level Benz, got on the highway. Half way there, stopped at that auction lot, hopped into a fucking S550 AMG and rode the rest of the way there. Might I add, smoking fucking lemon-haze and driving nearly 100mph while practically passing out in the back on the way to Philly, due to the potency of the bud.. After I got off the greyhound at Pittsburgh, it was just some straight G shit..

MRIGOTBASS

According to LuckyDay over on Shoryuken,

http://shoryuken.com/f7/columbus-bar-battles-3-columbus-oh-8-21-special-guest-justin-wong-now-momos-241355/index41.html

"Who did you hear that from? You can play on pad if you like.
Tim and I are going to be running the UMK station pretty much all day, let me know if you have any questions."

Also in a private message from Lucky Day as of 8:28 PM

"Hey man,

You just won Summer Jam UMK3 right?

Good shit, we'd be glad to have you for UMK3 at Bar Battles. We'll have PS2 pads for people to play on, or you can use a wired 360 pad on the MAME setup.

We will also have a UMK3 arcade machine for casuals and tourney matches if both people agree on it, but it's not required, so pads are cool.

You probably met Tim Static at Summer Jam, he'll be here running the UMK3 with me, so let me know if you have any other questions.

And did you already pre-register? And are you bringing any other guys with you? "

Can we all get on the same page?

Hey guys, just signed up.

I'm the one bringing the MAME setup that this tourney will be played on. While the setup itself is an arcade panel setup (see the pic below) we will have two converters for PS2 pads plugged in at all times for players to use. We have at least 5 columbus players that play on pad, there's no way we can run this all on stick, virtually nobody but myself and Tim here have experience on the MK layout.

A few guys will also be using their own customs with the converters.

So you're good to go on using PS2 pad.

In addition to the MAME setup the UMK3 cab will be here though, so if you're playing mms or any casuals on that, it's obviously only PS2 pads. But we won't be using that cab for the tourney if one player requires the PS2 port.

FYI, don't take this as Tim trying to prevent you from playing on pad, he knew I was building the panel, but he probably didn't know about the plan to include the PS2 converters.

Here's the panel:

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Thanks for the clarification Lucky Day, and like I said in the Shoutbox, welcome to the site.

Is that stick setup custom made?

Tim Static

Adminerator
yea i was thinking Seasons Beatings, not CBB3. CBB3 was just moved to the same venue as SB and I've been doing alot of planning for SB, i wasnt thinking. But SB is a cab only event for UMK3, and CBB3 is a stick and pad event.

Thanks for the clarification Lucky Day, and like I said in the Shoutbox, welcome to the site.

Is that stick setup custom made?
Yeah, the panel itself is an official Midway panel from Tim's old MKII machine. I took the panel, boxed it up, wired up the controls, drilled the run button, etc.

It's also got 2.1 sound built in, headphone out, volume control, and adjustable feet for a slant or changing height.

I literally just finished it tonight, and we're going to be christening it at Bar Battles 3 this weekend.