What's new

College Grads, Career holders and Healthcare Workers of TYM... I need your advice

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
I had the same issue when I got my degree in Medieval shoe lace sculpting
LMAO

but on topic it really sucks to be in this position, am currently in school for my psychology degree then i have options, but the statistics are bad. most people who get degrees, even masters in psyche don't ever work in their fields after graduation. am so stuck on what to do, in the mean time i just got my state life insurance license and working on federal securities license for investments and financial planning. i should have that by the end of the month, but its looking like unless i become a psychiatrist i would be making more at what i do now than a counselor or therapist and at what cost? 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 4 years of apprenticeship to either go from clinic to clinic where they only hire you for 4 hours once a week because you are to expensive and i don't have the resources to start my own psychiatric office and get all the right certifications and business stuff plus the loans needed to be pay back. ugh i have a choice, stick to what i like doing, make less money. go to school for 10 more years, work where i work now, and see how much money i make, which can be a lot (over 50K to 100K+ a year) depending on how i work. nothing makes sense to me anymore in this "economy" why go to school? if you spend over 100K in schooling to become a psychiatrist, when will i get a full time job as one? when will i pay off my debt?

PANDA

*Supreme Member*
Ask your current professors at your college if they know any good companies that are hiring or if they could write you a recommendation...etc.
Also, look around your school for job fairs from different companies...

aj1701

Noob
Hi everyone. I am a senior in college, and on the cusp of earning my Bachelor's degree in Nuclear Medicine Technology. I am currently finished with classes, and am working 40hrs/wk in a clinical setting. I am not paid at all for this, I am basically giving free labor for the payment of my own experience, to oversimplify things. Once I finish my clinical training hours in December, I will take final exams at college in January, and sit for boards either that month or the beginning of February, depending upon testing dates. Once I pass, I'm certified, I'll have my degree, and I'll be into the real world.

However, during my time in school, the job market has taken an absolute nosedive.

I can count on one hand the number of nuclear med jobs in Ohio, PA, Indiana, Illinois, and VA right now. All of these jobs are PRN (as-needed, no guarantee of hours). Reading forums online, all I see are people that have been working in the field 20+ years kicking and screaming about how terrible it is. Patient volumes are down, doctor perception of nuclear is down, we are currently caught in a shortage of our lung imaging agents... those with jobs in the field are lucky to have hours. those that don't have hours are lucky to get a few crumbs. And there are a LOT of nuclear techs that can't even get the crumbs.

Are other job markets like this? Is it really so difficult to find good work related to your degree right out of college? I'm going to have 8 months of full-time experience and potentially two separate certifications in nuclear medicine (NMTCB and ARRT), as well as a non-diagnostic CT certificate enabling me to run certain hybrid imaging systems ("the future of medical imaging").

If you are in/have been in hard times like this where there simply aren't jobs for your major, how have you gotten by? Did you have to go back to school, and learn how to do other things? Did you have to get additional degrees? Did you have to flip burgers on the weekends to try to help make ends meet? I'm certified in phlebotomy, so hopefully I can do that on the side and make enough to get by until I (hopefully) find a nuclear med job...

I guess I don't really know what I'm asking. I have a little under half a year to make a plan on how I can continue in life after graduation. Does anyone have advice on how to deal with low-demand job markets, and how to stand out within them? What can I do to be the best possible candidate and be as attractive as possible to potential employers?

CrimsonShadow PLAYING TO W1N tagging the both of you since you both would probably have unique opinions on this. Just looking for a little advice/guidance I guess.
Have you checked in FL? My mom is an xray tech and says there's ton of health care jobs there since FL is where old people go to die.

Have you checked in FL? My mom is an xray tech and says there's ton of health care jobs there since FL is where old people go to die.
LOL. No I haven't, and I would rather not move to Florida if I can avoid it. However getting a real job comes first so who knows.

Ask your current professors at your college if they know any good companies that are hiring or if they could write you a recommendation...etc.
Also, look around your school for job fairs from different companies...
Nobody is looking to hire a nuclear medicine technologist at a job fair lol. But yeah, I definitely will hound my professors to try to help me get my foot in the door at some hospitals. nukes is a small field so having letters of recommendation from them would be great as I'm sure my professors and potential employers will know of eachother... :)

You're still getting a degree and that's going to set you apart. You may not get a nuclear medicine job right away but you'll be able to still get a decent job in some other field. As others have said, getting a degree in a certain field doesn't mean you're going to end up working in that field, at least right away. It sounds like you may need to just get some kind of job to pay bills at first and keep focusing your efforts on getting the job you actually want during that time. Some fields are pretty strong right now, like nursing and IT, so people who focus in those areas tend to get jobs pretty easily. Also, as someone else said you may have to relocate to get the job you want, which sounds terrifying but usually a lot of companies assist you in getting set up in that area. Good luck.
Yeah I really hope so. From what I understand a lot of hospitals are willing to assist you with or outright pay for some of your education, so maybe if I get a job at a hospital doing one of the other lesser jobs i'm certified in, they could pay for me to go to school for CT or MRI. Then I would be multicompetent in multiple imaging modalities and could bounce between departments to get hours....

You live in Ohio; oil & gas are in your future. Look up Marcellus Shale an get hired. Also, you live close to one of the best hospitals in the country. I'm sure you'll find an avenue. See you soon enough.

EDIT: I find it very unfortunate that you have to pick a career at such a young age. I have two degrees and work in a field that has nothing to do with either of them. Be flexible.

Thanks for stopping in here, Mace. I really appreciate it. You are far and away one of the best guys I've ever met in the MK community. I will look them up, and I will do my best moving forward to try being flexible and learn new things. The more I know, the more I can do, and the more I can do, the better chances I have of finding a real career. Thanks man. Hopefully I don't have to branch too far away from nuclear.

lawzoers

Noob
Engineer master race reporting in, ¿does your alma mater have some kind of subsidy assigned on research projects?

matterovermind thanks man. What I'm realizing now is that my degree is very narrow in scope, it only enables me to do one thing: Be a nuclear medicine technologist. I inject patients with radioactive materials, and operate gamma cameras. If I wanted to work in a nuclear pharmacy, i have to go back to school for pharmacy. If I want to be a nuclear medicine doctor, I have to become a radiologist and learn all of the imaging modalities from a clinical standpoint instead of a technologist's (imaging) standpoint. It's like getting this degree has me back asswards in terms of building upon it to do other things. Hopefully I can get into hybrid imaging, and I'll definitely be trying to work another job with lower entry requirements at some hospitals/healthcare facilities to sustain myself. I'll make money, network, all that stuff. Once I graduate I can sit for 3 different nuclear medicine boards... all of them enable me to do the same thing.... so I am going to sit for the 2 more widely accepted ones and just take it from there I guess. I just hope I don't have to start all over again.

Engineer master race reporting in, ¿does your alma mater have some kind of subsidy assigned on research projects?
I don't know... maybe. Where are you going with this? Try to get into the research/academia side of things to learn more about my field and try to make a name for myself, or something like that? I'm curious :eek:

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
As a resident in a level one trauma center ICU currently, let me give you some advice.

I'm assuming that you are still young. Even if you're not, screw it.

Since you have a bachelors degree shortly and seem like you enjoy the healthcare field, I want you to look at two options which you may not like one bit because of the delay in pay and also other expense.

1. Become a Physicians Assistant. Three year program, no residency.

With the looming universal healthcare bill dangling only a few short years away the decline of college grads entering medical school or choosing medicine in general is dwindling. The DEMAND is at an all time high for Physician Assistants currently and will only demonstrate an upward trend.

On top of that, PA's are values highly in the medical field by physicians, hospitals, etc. I personally know of a branched hospital that I work for that ONLY has PA's in the Emergency room and one physician at any given time. They use Skype to communicate with our ER physicians to determine the right course of action. Plus, they can do a lot of cool stuff that Physicians can do without the bullshit.

AND, you can find a cushy job at a Dermatologist office if you want OR you can go work in the Operating room if you want. Such a varied range of specialties so YOU can pick what field you want.

The salary ranges from $65,000 to work just general medicine in an office to $150,000 a year if you want to work for a surgical practice. PLUS, 99% of the time whenever the docs away, you're away on vacation and you can work your contract around what YOU want.

2. Become a Physician. four year program plus residency (guaranteed income until you're done).

Hear me out. You already have half the battle done besides the application process, MCATs, and interview process. Go for gusto, bust your balls, and be the best. PLUS, you can get $2000 a month to live on, that's not infusing housing if you life on campus. I made it just fine.

3. Become a Lawyer. Three year program

Cake job, makes more money than a physician if played right, and is flexible.

Face it, you're you g enough. I had people in their thirties just entering medical school when I was in. There is no excuse. Your degree can get you into anyone of these programs as long as you have the pre-reqs.

Don't be afraid of debt, if you pick the right field you will be able to pay that debt off in five years if you live modesty and then you'll live VERY comfortable.

Also, check out StudentDoctor Forums. They have classifieds there for all sorts of jobs and you can mingle with people in the same field to see if there are any leads.

Good luck.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that becoming a PA you can work quarterly bonuses into your contract. I personally know of two PA's that get a $5,000 quarterly bonus to meeting their patient quota.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
This is why am majoring in computer science, great pay and plenty of jobs :)
one of the the coolest professions, right next to super hero.

As a resident in a level one trauma center ICU currently, let me give you some advice.

3. Become a Lawyer. Three year program

Cake job, makes more money than a physician if played right, and is flexible.

The legal job market is garbage. It is horrible. There are countless articles out there giving the numbers on how god-awful the legal profession is right now. No one should consider going to law school unless they can get into a top 10 law school, and even then things are rough out there. I'm sorry, ColdBore, but it is clear to me that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the legal profession. And it is far from a cake job. First year associates are expected to sign their lives away. Attorney is one of the jobs where working over 40 hours/week is the norm, it is expected that you work 60-80 hours/week. That is on salary too, so no overtime. I've worked Easter, Christmas, 4th of July, and every other holiday you can imagine. Sure, there are well-established attorneys that might be doing alright, but by and large people should avoid trying to become a lawyer, that time when it was a guaranteed road into upper-middle class has long since passed.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Have you considered going back to school? Get your masters or doctorate if you can get funding.

I graduated in May 2011 majoring in Psychology and Neuroscience. Jobs sucked back then like they do now. My hope is that when I finish my doctorate the market is much better. (about 3 years...if I can manage that dissertation :X)

Also, IDK about you, but I went to a small liberal arts school in PA so I have massive student loans to pay back. The bright side is I can defer them indefinitely as long as I stay a student haha... Another bright side of going back to school.

Also, you may want to check out clinical/research internships at the NIH. They have PAID (30k a year) fellowship positions which are ballin. https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta

Check it out FrothyOmen or anyone else interested in clinical/research areas

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
The legal job market is garbage. It is horrible. There are countless articles out there giving the numbers on how god-awful the legal profession is right now. No one should consider going to law school unless they can get into a top 10 law school, and even then things are rough out there. I'm sorry, ColdBore, but it is clear to me that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the legal profession. And it is far from a cake job. First year associates are expected to sign their lives away. Attorney is one of the jobs where working over 40 hours/week is the norm, it is expected that you work 60-80 hours/week. That is on salary too, so no overtime. I've worked Easter, Christmas, 4th of July, and every other holiday you can imagine. Sure, there are well-established attorneys that might be doing alright, but by and large people should avoid trying to become a lawyer, that time when it was a guaranteed road into upper-middle class has long since passed.

I'm only going by family experience as my brother does corporate bankruptcy in the Pittsburgh area for an established firm and is making very very very good money. Even local Attorneys are making good cash.

I do remember reading that the market is bad currently but surely there are some specialties that are booming in the legal industry?

Have you considered going back to school? Get your masters or doctorate if you can get funding.

I graduated in May 2011 majoring in Psychology and Neuroscience. Jobs sucked back then like they do now. My hope is that when I finish my doctorate the market is much better. (about 3 years...if I can manage that dissertation :X)

Also, IDK about you, but I went to a small liberal arts school in PA so I have massive student loans to pay back. The bright side is I can defer them indefinitely as long as I stay a student haha... Another bright side of going back to school.

Also, you may want to check out clinical/research internships at the NIH. They have PAID (30k a year) fellowship positions which are ballin. https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta

Check it out FrothyOmen or anyone else interested in clinical/research areas
Well, I'm still in school so going back isn't really something I wanna do right away haha. I don't want to be a professional student, especially if there are employers out there who will pay for me to further my education later down the road... it's time I start living my life instead of living in books all the time. Luckily I don't have loans to repay, so taking some out later on to go back to school won't be too bad I guess.

I checked that NIH link... maaan, that makes me hella emo lol. Just reading through some of the titles for these articles, they are way over my head. It seems like anything relating to nuclear med (more broadly, ionizing radiation) is entirely focused on how it affects DNA. Basically it's nuclear + genetics, and i fucking haaaaaaaaaaaaated genetics when i had to take it. That class was the worst. I will keep on looking through this site because it seems like an AWESOME resource and I'm sure I can find some leads here. Thanks for the link.

What about you? Do you have any work experience at all that relates to your degrees?

aj1701

Noob
LOL. No I haven't, and I would rather not move to Florida if I can avoid it. However getting a real job comes first so who knows.
Well in all seriousness health care is hot down there. I don't care for summers there, but its not bad otherwise (I have family there so I visit a lot around the year).

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Well, I'm still in school so going back isn't really something I wanna do right away haha. I don't want to be a professional student, especially if there are employers out there who will pay for me to further my education later down the road... it's time I start living my life instead of living in books all the time. Luckily I don't have loans to repay, so taking some out later on to go back to school won't be too bad I guess.

I checked that NIH link... maaan, that makes me hella emo lol. Just reading through some of the titles for these articles, they are way over my head. It seems like anything relating to nuclear med (more broadly, ionizing radiation) is entirely focused on how it affects DNA. Basically it's nuclear + genetics, and i fucking haaaaaaaaaaaaated genetics when i had to take it. That class was the worst. I will keep on looking through this site because it seems like an AWESOME resource and I'm sure I can find some leads here. Thanks for the link.

What about you? Do you have any work experience at all that relates to your degrees?
Yeah man, I spent a year and a half working at the NIH in a Clinical Neuroscience lab at the NIH. It was very helpful to me in deciding if I should head back to school to further my education or start another job outside my field. I am now back in school getting my degree in Clinical Neuropsych.

I think it is a very smart idea to take 1-3 years off of 'school' to work in the 'real' world. Too many people go right to grad school after graduation and they burn out or miss out on some good maturing experiences. If you look hard enough you should be able to find a few paid internships in your field or of the like, which will help you decide on your future path while still making money.

Always do what you enjoy most.

lawzoers

Noob
I don't know... maybe. Where are you going with this? Try to get into the research/academia side of things to learn more about my field and try to make a name for myself, or something like that? I'm curious :eek:
Universities in my country have subsidies which come from the State itself for the sole purpose of encourage bachelors to increase their knowledgment on some related subjects and be more competitive, countering the effects of the phenomena called globalization, so keep in mind the possibility of have some more instruction or to get a job in a foreing country. You can try to go deeper on the nuclear medicine subject and go for a doctorate. Often, the higher your grades are, the more chances you have to find a job.

You can try to innovate in your field of study with the help of subsidies. Make your research work lead the way your peers do their jobs creating new paradigms. You don’t know which piece of new lore can be used to develop nuclear medicine. Every profession can have room for improvement, you could put your mental prowess in thinking new theories or algorithms that can diminish intrinsecal difficulties, both in execution on complexity, of some routine proccess. If you get lucky you could find something worth of a patent. A plethora of examples of these can be found in whatever science you think of.

Be an entrepeneur. You have a broad idea of the items (equipment, supplies, etcetera) nuclear medicine needs in order to function properly and I’m pretty sure this branch of medicine needs to be ressuplied constantly. Sell, find a scarce market related to your study subject and exploit it. I recommend to you to find a partner to cover the start-up costs of any new company. Venture yourself in the sales practices. Having a degree in administration never hurts.

Feel free to ask for more advice anytime you want.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Start your own business. My masters degree in exercise physiology has a salary cap easily blown through with owning your own business. I'm currently co founder of a business and things are moving where they should.

lawzoers there is no such thing as a doctorate in nuclear medicine. there is a masters degree but it is a brand new thing and nobody really knows what to do with it other than to say "lawl i have a masters, sup"

I guess that if I went into research the goal would be to find new pharmaceuticals that tag well to our radioactive tracers and allow us to perform functional imaging of things we don't do well/at all right now... after today I am considering this option more and more. I just don't know if there is any money in it.... or any want for a kid right out of college with only clinical experience to start pulling stuff like this haha. I dunno if it's really appropriate given my current skillset but who knows? I don't wanna talk myself out of it either. Thanks regardless