What's new

Question - Grandmaster Clone not working within certain proximity. Jumps back instead?

I recently picked up Sub Zero Grandmaster. I am starting to learn him.

Recently, while practicing, I stumbled upon him not releasing a clone, instead... he'll just jump back? (Anybody else experience this?) it does not happen all the time. But it happens quite often. Lots of times its when I'm very close to the opponent or have them in the corner. What's confusing, it still drops a clone within that same space, that prior it neglected me to drop. (It's perplexing)

NOTE:
When he jumps back instead of dropping a ice clone, there are no other clones or opponents trapped in ice. He just randomly does this. I would like to know why.

Last edited:
That's just how it works. You can't put the clone out so close.
Ah. I didn't know that. Thanks. (That's what I kind of figured)

What's confusing me though (it still comes out from the space it wasn't me allowing to) In the corner I'll do:

b2, f42, db2 (and the clone won't come out)
Then I repeat almost immediately, and the clone does indeed come out?? (Both in the same place) Sometimes *even* freezing my practice dummy in mid air

So by the clone still coming out, is that a bug? (Is this known?)

Because, if its not supposed to come out, then it shouldn't at all and not confuse me by sometimes coming out and sometimes not coming out (in the same space).

Last edited:
Might be due to stance something like that was posted earlier today
This was posted earlier today? Can you link me please. I tried searching before creating my thread and nothing came up regarding this subject. Unless, I entered the wrong key words which I don't think I did. Thanks.

EDIT:
It's definitely not stance. I just ran a test with both stances and was able to freeze my practice dummy twice in a row in mid air. Then, back to jumping backwards. Since nobody else is speaking on it, I think it's a bug and I hope it gets officially acknowledged and addressed.

Last edited:

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
could just be timing on the juggle really hitboxes move around while theyre in the air so at one point it may just be far away enough

could just be timing on the juggle really hitboxes move around while theyre in the air so at one point it may just be far away enough
This sounds logical. I'll run tests with that in mind and factor that into what's happening. I hope it's not a bug...

Because, freezing my opponent while they're mid air, via a clone, that populated onto them, is fucking amazing.

If you juggle an opponent in the corner with b2, b2 for example, you can use d1, 1 into ice clone more consistently than d1,b12 into ice clone, especially when playing online. Whether something freezes or not is just about hit boxes imo, stances and height from the ground do matter, but only because of where both hit boxes are in relation to each other.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Ice clone close proximity has always been rather finicky. It was more or less the same way in MK 9, as well.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Also, yes: the height of the juggled opponent does matter as to whether clone comes out or not. I'm pretty certain that clone stands a greater chance of coming out when the opponent is closer to the ground.

Although, I've had a hard time getting clone to come out and freeze female opponents regardless of how close to the ground they are. That's been my experience, at least.

Gr1mgr1n84

Why ask why?! When HOW is so much more FUN!
Sub Zero clones cant be close to the opponent and the jump back has been around since MK2 where he would jump back and not drop a clone.