What's new

Clearing up misconceptions about Scorpion's void

Enenra

Go to hell.
Slips sorry if I'm stepping on any toes, but I have seen a lot of confusion in regards to Scorpion's vortex, primarily about the second spear into 50/50s. I know you've covered it, but I think a reminder is in order.

That said...

When Scorpion lands a string and hitconfirms it into spear, he can NJP JK tele dash F43 spear. This sets up the opponent for a 50/50 guessing situation they cannot poke, wake up, or tech roll out of. This is because of a mixture of the phenomenal recovery off of F43 into spear and the "splat" caused by the second spear. When Scorpion brings the opponent over to him, input either B2 or F4~spear as fast as possible. Do not wait, if the mix up whiffs it is because you did it too late. The timing will make sense once you land it a few times.

Here is Slip's video:

Also, if the opponent just lies there the move will not whiff. You will just have a 100% chance at guessing right.

Props to o-BEEF_SUPREME-o: Off an AA spear, do NJP JK Tele F43 spear into void.

111~second spear or 33~ second spear will NOT work. It doesn't provide quick enough recovery for a vortex-solid 50/50. You MUST use F43~second spear.

If you have not landed a spear in your kombo, say you landed a naked B2 for instance, try and end the string with 111~spear crossover punch F21 tele. Sometimes, depending on gravity, you can 1 dash 111 (1 dash 11 as well) into spear to keep from whiffing the spear. This is the other best vortex set up.

If the NJP JK tele is giving you trouble, try RedRaptor10 's kombo and replace the NJP with 2~tele. Easier, and you still get a F43~second spear. (Example: JIP 11 spear, NJP, dash 2 tele dash F43 spear.) RedRaptor has another very fancy set up that is high execution but extra damage: jip, 1, 1, spear, press back once, crossover deep jump kick, dash, 2, tele, dash, f4, 3, spear. Here is the video:

Here is the difference between the vortex and the void as explained by SunnyD:
Vortex leads you standing with a large amount of advantage. You a freely given the option to do the b2/f4 mixup or block string pressure without fear of getting poked out or armored. The opponent MUST block the followup because of the advantage the grounded teleport gives.

The Void is a OTG setup that has the opponent guess a 50/50 mixup while still in recovery frames of the double spear knockdown. Its true that both result in a 50/50, but the void can hit opponents when they are not expecting it, it's a lot safer, and you can setup your distancing from the opponent to make your options safer (back dash then b2 makes a unsafe option more or less neutral due to distance)

The biggest difference is that, as far as I am aware, you cannot fuzzy block the void. You can fuzzy block the vortex however.

tl;dr: F43~second spear into quick 50/50 is the only way to have a true vortex off of a second spear set up. Off of one spear, go 111 spear.

I will update the OP if you have any questions.

OZZYGUITAR

Back-dash Adam
wow, i literally pressed enter 2 secs ago to say that people need to know what's happening in the vortex and then i refreshed the page and BOOM this was up, thanks btw

ryublaze

Noob
Not sure if this was known yet but I was just in training mode and found a 37% void combo that does 2% more damage than the BnB but it's extremely hard to do. I get it like 1 out of every 10 tries lol.

jip, 1, 1, spear, press back once, crossover deep jump kick, dash, 2, tele, dash, f4, 3, spear

Just something you can play around with...

Enenra

Go to hell.
who was confused?
You have no idea the shit I was reading.

Not sure if this was known yet but I was just in training mode and found a 37% void combo that does 2% more damage than the BnB but it's extremely hard to do. I get it like 1 out of every 10 tries lol.
jip, 1, 1, spear, press back once, crossover deep jump kick, dash, 2, tele, dash, f4, 3, spear

Just something you can play around with...

May I add it to the OP?

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
This is helpful, I've only ever used his original vortex. (ending with teleport) only because I didn't understand this one.

Good stuff!

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
This is helpful, I've only ever used his original vortex. (ending with teleport) only because I didn't understand this one.

Good stuff!
This isnt the vortex, this is the void setup.

Enenra, you should probably change the title of the thread, as the void is completely different from the vortex.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Aside from the combo itself, is there a difference? They both end up in the 50/50 situation. (which, is the same...isn't it?)
Vortex leads you standing with a large amount of advantage. You are freely given the option to do the b2/f4 mixup or block string pressure without fear of getting poked out or armored. The opponent MUST block the followup because of the advantage the grounded teleport gives.

The Void is a OTG setup that has the opponent guess a 50/50 mixup while still in recovery frames of the double spear knockdown. Its true that both result in a 50/50, but the void can hit opponents when they are not expecting it, its alot safer, and you can setup your distancing from the opponent to make your options safer (backdash then b2 makes a unsafe option more or less neutral due to distance)

The biggest difference is that, as far as i am aware, you cannot fuzzy block the void. You can fuzzy block the vortex however.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Vortex leads you standing with a large amount of advantage. You a freelky given the option to do the b2/f4 mixup or block string pressure without fear of getting poked out or armored. The opponent MUST block the followup becasue of the advantage the grounded teleport gives.

The Void is a OTG setup that has the opponent guess a 50/50 mixup while still in recovery frames of the double spear knockdown. Its true that both result in a 50/50, but the void can hit opponents when they are not expecting it, its alot safer, and you can setup your distancing from the opponent to make your options safer (backdash then b2 makes a unsafe option more or less neutral due to distance)

The biggest difference is that, as far as i am aware, you cannot fuzzy block the void. You can fuzzy block the vortex however.
Added to OP

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Enenra THANK YOU! This will save us a lot of trouble on the boards having to explain why 2 1+2 or any other ghetto ender into a second spear won't work. I concede, you're the big spoon.
Might want to add the aa spearversio. Aa spear, njp, tele dash f43~spear.
Sent from Cyberdyne Systems

ryublaze

Noob
37% Void Combo

jip, 1, 1, Spear, press back once, crossover deep jump kick, dash, 2, Teleport, dash, F4, 3, Spear

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Enera THANK YOU! This will save us a lot of trouble on the boards having to explain why 2 1+2 or any other ghetto ender into a second spear won't work. I concede, you're the big spoon.
Meantioned the wrong Enenra bro lmao.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Enera THANK YOU! This will save us a lot of trouble on the boards having to explain why 2 1+2 or any other ghetto ender into a second spear won't work. I concede, you're the big spoon.
Done.

And thanks bro ^_^ I get to be Scorpion, finally. And the big spoon ofc, that's obviously what I'm more excited about (>_>) (<_<).

But you're still the Bi Han.