What's new

Clashes AND Breakers both in Injustice 2? Seems that way.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I personally really like the new clash system and how they interact, but what if when you won the clash you had two or even more buttons you could hit in terms of how you hit the opponent down? I see Batman doing a flip and punching his opponent down. I just think it'd be neat if you had a few more options.

Win clash, have small window to hit whatever button, done.

Thoughts?

I like it, that it puts the character personality after it's done opposed to Injustice one where they just break off.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
It looks a hell of a lot cooler, and importantly shorter.

Still not a huge fan of the wager concept, but at least they improved it.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.

Okay that is DEFINITELY the wager system but wait...what is this?
Combo breaker? Air tech? How does it work?

Discuss folks. This plus the recent inclusion of Dodge rolling means a lot is shaking up here. Post your thoughts on this interesting turn of events. If you find out any specifics on how the two systems work please share.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
I'm just gonna main the character with the best meter build cause all these defensive options with them are crazy.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
We know its called an 'Air Escape' from the most recent footage from gamestop. So not a wild guess to think you wont be able to do it grounded, cost one bar.

The Ex roll might be a movement only option with no other defensive stuff behind it such as armor or invincibility however it looks it can be used to beat some of the higher projectiles which makes me believe you can get hit out of it so it becomes a read/reaction type thing to maneuver and whiff punish.

Clash looks pretty much the same

shaowebb

Theres a Q&A with Ed Boon at 4:30 PT tonight (tuesday E3) shortly after the IGN coverage of Injustice 2.

We should really pool together a group effort to inquire about this mechanic, the specifics of the dodge roll, and how gear is/or is not used for the tournament oriented game modes.
Its a pretty big set of questions and right now I feel they top our main points of interests here. Likely if he covered the breaker thing he'd cover the dodgeroll, because I get the feeling they might be treated by them jointly as a new "MB Escape" mechanic that can be done during hitstun or neutral.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I'm kind of worried, are they putting in all these features to balance out the fact that offense is going to be batshit crazy like it is in MKX? Or is defense going to be too good that characters like Supes, Aquaman, etc. are going to be top tier again?
I'd love for zoning to be good again, but I don't want the game to have ridiculous offense (even if it is offset by equally ridiculous defense) or be lopsided.

portent

Noob
Looks more like the air recovery system from Street Fighter Alpha 3, but it also looks like it requires meter.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Looks more like the air recovery system from Street Fighter Alpha 3, but it also looks like it requires meter.
Yeah, that was my first impression of it. I noticed that meter while taking damage built very fast. Seemed possibly faster than I1.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I really like what they did. The graphics and the characters are much improved, including Supergirl (THX NRS). After the clash I just think there should be more hit options.

For example: Above when Gorilla Grodd wins the clash, perhaps he does his yell to knock down the opponent and also has the option to just hit them down.

portent

Noob
Yeah, that was my first impression of it. I noticed that meter while taking damage built very fast. Seemed possibly faster than I1.
I'm starting to get the impression that this game is going to be very meter dependent. It's going to take meter to get in, meter to get out, and meter to recover.

shaowebb

You know whats an awesome difference about these clashes over Injustice 1?

YOU DONT END UP FULL SCREEN EVERY TIME.

Kind of odd though. Look at the health and the followup. Looks like Batman tried to breaker a combo from Supergirl and lost the wager so instead of a blast forcing them apart Supergirl just finished her combo. It may just finish the last action that was input if the clashing defender loses the wager. It'll still cut a combo short if thats the case, but you'll at least get that last bit of your strings or whatever which might be useful for holding screen positioning.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
I'm sensing injustice is going to be one heck of a defensive game and meter management looks be even more important than in any other fighting game from what I've observed so far

shaowebb

Also Sonicfox confirmed that AIRTECHING IS IN THE GAME. It costs a bar but if you do it at the wrong time you will get reset. I am curious whether this means all those gifs are air tech attempts and not combo breakers. If so then it'd mean pretty well any juggle state could be air teched or something. Still though that is risky. If I spend a bar to flop out of a juggle and it resets damage scaling, and combo scaling completely and I get put right back into stuff I just gave you a ton more damage and cost myself meter.

Gonna have to be smart with air teching. Still need confirmation though whether or not these are all air techs we're seeing or if there is a breaker or somethign goin on during any of these.

shaowebb

Whoops. Jumped the gun there. Reports are that every character has their own clash ender. That means that Supergirl's followup wasn't a player thing. Just what she does when she wins a clash. At least its not a fullscreen knockback for both people like when we had the generic explosion after a clash.

Here's hoping grapplers like Bane will put folks on the ground right at their feet after a clash since they thrive by staying on top of folks and not knocking them away. That is if he returns.

So yeah...not fullscreen, but uncertain if it varies heavily after a clash how far you send folks flying. Confirmed everyone has their own followup animation for winning clashes.