What's new

Clash System still bad?

I just made a response in a different thread, but I think that this might be to crucial to leave it there only.

You know the french tournament from a while ago ... We had two Flashs in the grand finals and saw the Clash basically over 5 times per match. That was some pesky shit.
For now they've changed it:

- You can only enter the Clash once per match.
- You can only enter it during the second life-bar, after the armor-bar is gone.
- If you invest more meter, your combo-damage gets through, if you invest equally much or less, you lose the damage.
- The clash is faster now and doesn't interrupt the combat as much.

BUT ...

To me it feels like the Clash-System is still strange.
Let's imagine I'm playing against someone and I know that I'm the better player, but somehow we both enter the red life-bar at the same time.

If there is only ONE Clash per match, why shouldn't I simply let the opponent start a combo on me and use the meter after the second or third hit of his combo and then not invest any meter?

- If he invests meter, he'll do the damage (which is minimal on that point, if they removed the additional Clash damage which was supposed to be added at the beginning of the game development).
- If he doesn't invest meter, the damage gets negated.

In both points the Clash is gone and I can proceed to fuck him up and there is nothing he can do against it, because I basically wasted his Clash.

If it's not already the case, then shouldn't both players have access to one Clash to make it more even?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It's not bad, and it's 100x better than a breaker. Also, I thought it was that each player gets one clash per match, not one clash per match altogether?

Either way, getting rid of it by just activating is fine with me. I wouldn't mind if clashes and breakers were never in games ever, lol.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Breakers are really good! They promote really good meter management/use and help save us from Cyrax =[
No, they're not good. Build meter, advance freely, mess up, breaker. Build meter, advance freely, mess up, breaker. It makes me so mad.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I personally like the idea and find it to be an original way to add more meta to the metagame of a fighter. You only get to do it once per match, and deciding what you want to do with it is going to determine how well you manage your game as well. I'm hype!

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Waiting on seeing how the wager meta turns out. I hope to see some hella analysis on the subject.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
No, they're not good. Build meter, advance freely, mess up, breaker. Build meter, advance freely, mess up, breaker. It makes me so mad.
Injustice limits the breakers so that wont be a problem anymore. Alpha-counters only cost one bar though, so that could limit offense/pressure a lot.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Injustice limits the breakers so that wont be a problem anymore. Alpha-counters only cost one bar though, so that could limit offense/pressure a lot.
Yeah the alpha counters are going to be interesting.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Even Kabal doesn't build enough meter to abuse it like that...

You must be playing against pre-patch Kabal...... ............with Sheeva.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Even Kabal doesn't build enough meter to abuse it like that...

You must be playing against pre-patch Kabal...... ............with Sheeva.
I'm saying that concept is really dumb. If you have 2 meters, you can do whatever you want with no fear. And if you don't have 2 meters, you can play it a lot safer and try and build meter. When you get 2 bars, you can do whatever you want again.

It's obviously an over simplification, but you get my point.

It's the pushblock mechanic. i just don't call it pushblock because it costs meter like an alpha counter.
Oh, it's the pushblock. I thought it was something else.
I think I remember reading somewhere that the Pushblock will be only available when stage interactives are turned off, but I don't know if that's official or not.
It could be, because some gadgeteers could turn out to be too tricky in the corner because of the pushblock and the stage-interactive-bounce-away.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Oh, it's the pushblock. I thought it was something else.
I think I remember reading somewhere that the Pushblock will be only available when stage interactives are turned off
I haven't heard anything super concrete about it. Today it was confirmed to cost 1 bar in one of the articles. I think it's just part of the game.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I'm saying that concept is really dumb. If you have 2 meters, you can do whatever you want with no fear. And if you don't have 2 meters, you can play it a lot safer and try and build meter. When you get 2 bars, you can do whatever you want again.

It's obviously an over simplification, but you get my point.
I don't see how that's bad.. Do something stupid and blow all your meter away and now you're put in a bad situation. The opponent has the advantage since he has more meter than you. You shouldn't do something stupid just because you kan. Those that have that mentality are often those that get blown up in this game.

Breakers also help when playing against Characters with Armor. You WILL get hit by an EX Kartwheel against a good Sonya, but if you have the meter to break it then you kan kontinue your game.

Meter Management is probably most important in this game than any other. I feel it adds dimension to the game, especially since 2 bars is not that easy to build. (For most characters at least.)

There's also unbreakable kombos to worry about in some match ups.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I don't see how that's bad.. Do something stupid and blow all your meter away and now you're put in a bad situation. The opponent has the advantage since he has more meter than you. You shouldn't do something stupid just because you kan. Those that have that mentality are often those that get blown up in this game.
I'm not saying once you get 2 meters that you should just play dumb and reckless, I'm saying you can. More importantly, you can rush down with little fear when you have 2 bars. If you make a mistake and get punished, you break it and that mistake only hurts your meter, which is ridiculously easy to build in MK9.

Breakers also help when playing against Characters with Armor. You WILL get hit by an EX Kartwheel against a good Sonya, but if you have the meter to break it then you kan kontinue your game.
So I got hit by my opponents move, which is MY mistake, but doesn't matter have breaker. Opponent makes a good read or has good reactions, doesn't matter have breaker.

Meter Management is probably most important in this game than any other. I feel it adds dimension to the game, especially since 2 bars is not that easy to build. (For most characters at least.).
It is very important in MK9. Doesn't change the fact that I hate breakers and think the concept of them is poop.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I'm not saying once you get 2 meters that you should just play dumb and reckless, I'm saying you can. More importantly, you can rush down with little fear when you have 2 bars. If you make a mistake and get punished, you break it and that mistake only hurts your meter, which is ridiculously easy to build in MK9.
I really don't feel that is the kase.. Building 1 bar is one thing but building 2 is not as easy. It takes ~23 blocked hits if I remember korrectly to build two bars.. Do you think that's easy to do in a round?

So I got hit by my opponents move, which is MY mistake, but doesn't matter have breaker. Opponent makes a good read or has good reactions, doesn't matter have breaker.
Think about it this way: Meter is an extension of your life. When you break, you're losing life.

If all you kare about is life then you don't understand this game well enough.

It is very important in MK9. Doesn't change the fact that I hate breakers and think the concept of them is poop.
I think it balances the game. It's mostly a mindset thing that I'm seeing from people that hate them.

fischbong

Rock Strongo
In this interview Hector explains the Clash system. Sounds like both players get a clash. It's at the 06:40 mark. Sorry if this has been posted.