What's new

Question Choosing a Secondary Character

GAOStarr

Noob
Short: Who is a great second character for Raven mainers?

Long: After watching combo videos on YouTube, and reading the Raven Forums on this site, I decided to practice with Raven to see if I wanted to make her my main character. I definitely love playing with her, and I've learned some damaging combos with her: she's sexy main material.

After about 35 hours of playing no one except Raven, I'm starting to want a little variety in the form of learning a secondary character. My question is, who should I choose? I will spend hours watching videos, reading Internet posts, and practicing with this new character, so I want to choose wisely.

Part of me wants a power character (like Superman) who can throw the Interactable Objects that Raven can't. The other part of me wants a character that balances my personal weaknesses with Raven. I have a very difficult time fighting good Deathstrokes, Banes, and Doomsdays with Raven, so I'm wondering if I should choose someone who doesn't have such a hard time with those three.

If you main Raven, who do you second? Why? Who do you recommend? Thank you for your help and advice!

chores

bad at things
Part of me wants a power character (like Superman) who can throw the Interactable Objects that Raven can't. The other part of me wants a character that balances my personal weaknesses with Raven. I have a very difficult time fighting good Deathstrokes, Banes, and Doomsdays with Raven, so I'm wondering if I should choose someone who doesn't have such a hard time with those three.
WW - power character - easy to get in on deathstroke with super fast dash, air dash, air demigoddess, divekick. whiffed gunshots from midscreen can be shield charged.

never had a problem w bane.

doomsday sword stance d1 locks up his trait just like nightwing staff stance d1

but i tell everyone to play ww

GAOStarr

Noob
lol, why do you tell everyone to play Batgirl? Is she your main? Is she really that awesome? If you use her, how comfortable do you feel fighting against people who use Doomsday, Bane, and Deathstroke? What about her combos? Can you usually pull off combos in the 30's and 40's?

I have been looking at her, she looks like a lot of fun!

Anyone else?

Vogue

Noob
My main is Raven, every day I wonder why I don't just switch to Batgirl. She has crazy good combos. When she combos into bolo she gets standing reset(no wakeup invincibility) into the same mixup until she runs out of meter. Her high low game is nearly impossible to block on reaction. She can't be spammed by projectiles due to her teleport. She's great and fast and fun and kind of the opposite of Raven but with good counter zoning tools which is why I picked Raven.

GAOStarr

Noob
Cyborg is someone I haven't given a lot of thought to. I'll have to look at his videos online to see what his combos and BnBs look like.

Wonder Woman is also another person I haven't given much thought to. I didn't like her when I used her in the demo, but I was also new to the game when I played the demo and didn't know what I was doing with anyone. lol

I'm definitely getting a lot of great tips, thanks guys! I just don't want to spend hours practicing with a character only to find out they can't use good combos online, or they get demolished by the same people that demolish Raven.

Killer Frost or WonderWoman.

Black Adam and Hawkgirl give KF trouble, but Raven goes even with B.A imo, and beats HG

WW im not too sure on B.A but she beats HG

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Wonder Woman is also another person I haven't given much thought to. I didn't like her when I used her in the demo, but I was also new to the game when I played the demo and didn't know what I was doing with anyone. lol
Go with Wonder Woman or Nightwing. Both have a lot of variety between their two stances. Nightwing's Staff Stance is starting to feel a little gimmicky to me, to be honest, whereas Wonder Woman's second stance seems to have a little more depth.

GAOStarr

Noob
Wow, I'm getting a lot of encouragement to use Wonder Woman, and she's someone I hadn't even considered. I'm really glad I asked you guys. I'll have to look at her combo videos online, and see how she feels to me in Practice Mode. I also need to look-up Cyborg since, admittedly, I know very little about how he plays.

GAOStarr

Noob
Right now, I think I'm leaning toward Wonder Woman or Batgirl. I would rather use Wonder Woman than Nightwing since I seem to fight a lot of Nightwings online, but haven't seen too many Wonder Woman players. Thanks for all of the help, but I'm still open to further suggestions and explanations. :)

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Batgirl. Destroys zoners and have crazy good 50/50s. I tell everyone to play Batgirl though.
This... Batgirl is amazing. I did not want her in the game AT ALL and now I'm maining her, lol. She's not very online friendly, though.

GAOStarr

Noob
I have yet to see Zod's gameplay. I know there's a video out... I need to go do that now.

I guess it comes down to who I like more, but I'm feeling torn between Wonder Woman and Bat Girl. If Bat Girl does have a harder time connecting her combos online, then I will use Wonder Woman. How is Wonder Woman's low/overhead game? One problem I have with Raven is that a large majority of her attacks hit in the middle, and I have to consciously change-up my game against opponents who are quick to block.

Vogue

Noob
So I was watching A Foxy Grandpa play Wonder Woman on Perfect Legends stream tonight..... WOW. That character is nuts. Extremely great high low game. Hit confirms forever. Hit confirms off lows into combos for 40+ percent . Great normals with fast start up and long range. Can avoid chip in sword stance...... I say give her a chance. Defiantly easier to play online than batgirl due to the multitude of hit confirms .

GAOStarr

Noob
Wow. Then that confirms it for me. I'll be picking up Wonder Woman and learning how to use her. Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the advice and everyone sharing what they know. I'll report back here in a week or so to let everyone know how the training's going! ^_^

GAOStarr

Noob
Update: Hey all. I spent a few hours practicing with Wonder Woman today, and I am having a very hard time completing her combos in Practice Mode. I'm not sure if this is because I have gotten so accustomed to using Raven, but Wonder Woman's combo-inputs feel choppy and very time sensitive. Her low/high/overhead mix-up is amazing, and I am loving her high damage, but I feel like I am staring at my opponent and constantly measuring how high they are above the ground in order to execute my next move at exactly the right time. Maybe I just need more Practice, but I definitely did not have this much difficulty learning Raven. Maybe Raven's just simpler? Anyways, I just wanted to update everyone, and ask if any Wonder Woman users have any tips? Thanks in advanced.

Sami

Noob
Raven's combos are simpler as you only need to judge height right up until you land MB Singularity. After that you can be pretty much on auto-pilot as the bounce sets them up in the same way each time. The only time I really need to think when doing a Raven combo is making sure I remember not to jump in too early with ji3 after b3.

As this is about a secondary for Raven and not abandoning Raven wholesale, you're best bet is to try and find somebody to cover her really bad match-ups. As much as I hate to say it, Superman is probably best for this as Raven has big issues with armoured moves (especially charges), something that his trait completely nullifies. He also has a completely different play-style to Raven.

I tried WW about a month ago. Not a lot of players use her so I figured I'd give it a go. Had the same issues as you. Just had a hard time connecting consistently. After about 5+ hrs, I just moved on. Haha. Hopefully you can stick it out because she is such a powerful character. Good luck, man.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GAOStarr

Noob
As this is about a secondary for Raven and not abandoning Raven wholesale, you're best bet is to try and find somebody to cover her really bad match-ups. As much as I hate to say it, Superman is probably best for this as Raven has big issues with armoured moves (especially charges), something that his trait completely nullifies. He also has a completely different play-style to Raven.
Thanks for this advice; I'll try Superman out and see how I feel about him. I do dislike the way I've seen him used online, but, on rare occasions, I have seen him used intelligently at close, mid, and far ranges. I'm currently trying to learn a BnB with Batgirl, but I'll try learning a Superman combo also to see who I find more useable.
I tried WW about a month ago. Not a lot of players use her so I figured I'd give it a go. Had the same issues as you. Just had a hard time connecting consistently. After about 5+ hrs, I just moved on. Haha. Hopefully you can stick it out because she is such a powerful character. Good luck, man.
I tried sticking it out, but it really proved to be too difficult for me. Normally, I enjoy the process of memorizing combos and practicing them until I can do them very comfortably in the middle of a real fight, but I just kept feeling frustrated with my lack of progress with Wonder Woman. It got to the point where, despite how badly I want to use it, I stopped trying because it was no longer fun.
After that you can be pretty much on auto-pilot as the bounce sets them up in the same way each time.
I know this is right. It didn't feel like "auto-pilot" at first, but after trying to use a couple of different characters and then re-practicing with Raven, I definitely have to agree. Does anyone else have an auto-pilot feel to them? I hate to admit it, but this is a feature I might NEED in my second character...

CamChattic

Eternal Champion of Justice
If you like the raven counter zoning game wanna cover a different set of match ups and want some easy confirms in your life I'd suggest Ares. There is actually some really good guides on the character as well.

GAOStarr

Noob
Ares? Really? Interesting. I was looking at him when I first got the game, but he seemed nearly impossible to use competitively. I guess people have figured him out? Thanks, I'll look into him as well.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I picked Hawkgirl to be my secondary when I was maining Raven, but I ended up switching to hawky as my main instead with Raven covering a few matchups here and there >.>;

WW, Batgirl, or KF are good secondaries to have as a Raven mainer as they cover a good amount of her bad MUs are all really good characters as well. For the 3 matchups you mentioned Supes and Deathstroke are good against those guys.

You can also just go full on derp and pick Scorpion if all else fails <_<