What's new

Chew Bubblegum & Kick Some Ass! Cassie Cage Full Guide (DS and YQ)

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I really hope so lol it had me super scared. Can F3,4 keep them in the corner? If so, how?
If they keep getting hit with the overhead and you're not using B1 they'll block standing and since F34 is a low starter it'll get em. Usually better to use it if you bait a wake-up and you can cancel it into the glow kick to get more damage and go back for more pressure.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
She's still an amazingly well-balanced character that's not in need of any buffs or nerfs.

+Excellent neutral game from F4 and B24
+Meterless launcher off a low-starting B1,3 that KBs on standing block (although conditioning the opponent to block high is needed)
+One of the best zoning/counter-zoning tools and combo extenders (Kneecappin)
+Good movement
+Good pressure
+Good anti-airs (S1, B3, Up Glow Kick, Air Bullet Barrage)
+Good Krushing Blows, the best of which starts off a 10-frame advancing normal
+Practically no strings that can be Flawless Blocked (only gap in F3,4,3 string, between 4 and 3, and thats not a string that really should be completed)

-Poor reach on low pokes
-Has a DVorah-esque D2
-Struggles against counter-zoning
-Not much of a corner game, despite what Sonic says
-Her low starters mainly should be used as a whiff punish due to their startup time (18 and 19 frames)
-High execution need for more-damaging combos
-One of the worst Fatal Blows in the game, although it can be used as a whiff punish if you can bait out an opponent's Fatal Blow
-State of your costumes, Cassie

Last edited:

Ehndur

Yes
Characters don't need good Low-Overhead mix-up to be great, I don't know why people are still talking about that. It's no longer MKX :D Yes, it's a strong tool to have, but definitely not necessary.

Like, she has a 9 frames mid that is 0 on block. Some characters would beg for less. She has a very strong neutral, if not the best, and doesn't even need a 50/50 to apply pressure.

As for her other overhead string, 2,1,D2 I'm not sure if there's much use for it. The tutorial says you can use it to catch people trying to duck under 2112. I rarely use either of them though. Usually if I get a 2 it's a missed input meant to be either B2 or F2.
S2 has the advantage to hit people duck blocking, even if it's a high. And the entire string 2, 1, 1, 2 jails, which leaves you at -3 (more or less, seems inconsistent) and at a F2 range.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Characters don't need good Low-Overhead mix-up to be great, I don't know why people are still talking about that. It's no longer MKX :D Yes, it's a strong tool to have, but definitely not necessary.

Like, she has a 9 frames mid that is 0 on block. Some characters would beg for less. She has a very strong neutral, if not the best, and doesn't even need a 50/50 to apply pressure.

S2 has the advantage to hit people duck blocking, even if it's a high. And the entire string 2, 1, 1, 2 jails, which leaves you at -3 (more or less, seems inconsistent) and at a F2 range.

What do you mean by applying pressure?

Methysan

Noob
Sonic also said Cassie has "really good krushing blow requirements."

Not sure how I feel about that. I think hers are pretty average. The only ones I can count on getting pretty much every game are F2, 1+3 and D2.

B13 is doable, but isn't super common in my experience. Maybe I'm not conditioning enough high blocking in my play.

Hitting the last hit only of B243 is pretty rare, and either requires full screen footsie reads or the opponent to mess up trying to duck or challenge the last hit on block.

Fully charged guns is pretty hard to land, and we've already discussed amp nut kick being a waste of meter. And then there's shoulder charge which I'm sure Sonic wasn't referring to since no one is using Yaas Queen.

So 6 KBs in Digital Soldier (including D2) and only 3 are reliable in my opinion. So yeah, average KBs. I know she has it better than some like Johnny, but I wouldn't say hers are great compared to other S and even A tier characters.

Ehndur

Yes
What do you mean by applying pressure?
I mean that she has an 11 frames advancing mid that staggers, the follow-up can be hit confirm into a launcher, last hit is a possible KB. A 9 frames mid that leaves you neutral on block at almost the same range. An amazing reaching F2, although is a high, ends with a possible KB, and if not, it still leaves you on + frames at range of another F2. AMP BF4 makes everything safe, switch sides, and gives you enough space to back up.
And of course, her combos ends with a restand +4, to start all over again.
Not mentioning her grab range too. But doesn't have any oki or KB on them sadly.
Her (whiff) punish game is also amazing.

Hitting the last hit only of B243 is pretty rare, and either requires full screen footsie reads or the opponent to mess up trying to duck or challenge the last hit on block.
Something I used to do by accident is dropping the 4 in the B2, 4, 3 string at the end of a combo, so that, if they don't expect it, they rise up just in time to get hit by the 3 KB. Got me laughing a few times. Now I actively try to do it, although it's a bit gimmicky, but since they expect to end standing by a Nut Kick, it can catch people off guard.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
I mean that she has an 11 frames advancing mid that staggers, the follow-up can be hit confirm into a launcher, last hit is a possible KB. A 9 frames mid that leaves you neutral on block at almost the same range. An amazing reaching F2, although is a high, ends with a possible KB, and if not, it still leaves you on + frames at range of another F2. AMP BF4 makes everything safe, switch sides, and gives you enough space to back up.
And of course, her combos ends with a restand +4, to start all over again.
Not mentioning her grab range too. But doesn't have any oki or KB on them sadly.
Her (whiff) punish game is also amazing.

Something I used to do by accident is dropping the 4 in the B2, 4, 3 string at the end of a combo, so that, if they don't expect it, they rise up just in time to get hit by the 3 KB. Got me laughing a few times. Now I actively try to do it, although it's a bit gimmicky, but since they expect to end standing by a Nut Kick, it can catch people off guard.
Her F2 is amazing and the 1+3 ender is great. However, the pushback is too great to risk going for b2 or another F2. After your opponent blocks the 1+3 they can neutral jump and punish whatever follow up you make. In my experience, it's a one and done kind of tool most people I play will either d1 after the 1+3 to stop your advancement or just walk backward and react to your follow up.

Also, B2 is not a real stagger. Your opponent can easily contest with a d1 after a blocked b2 or b24 and if they block the b24, you've given up your turn. Should you decide to follow through with the full b243 string, your opponent can just block b24 and then just duck the 3 and full combo punish you or d2 you for a crushing blow.

Her F4 is phenomenal

My personal favorite poke took is her d4

@Vslayer showed my how useful that is lol

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Her F2 is amazing and the 1+3 ender is great. However, the pushback is too great to risk going for b2 or another F2. After your opponent blocks the 1+3 they can neutral jump and punish whatever follow up you make. In my experience, it's a one and done kind of tool most people I play will either d1 after the 1+3 to stop your advancement or just walk backward and react to your follow up.

Also, B2 is not a real stagger. Your opponent can easily contest with a d1 after a blocked b2 or b24 and if they block the b24, you've given up your turn. Should you decide to follow through with the full b243 string, your opponent can just block b24 and then just duck the 3 and full combo punish you or d2 you for a crushing blow.

Her F4 is phenomenal

Side note, I realized that the best way to get that F2, 1+3 KB is to do it right after they block it cause they won't expect it twice, especially if you usually use D4 after, which is what I do.

Ehndur

Yes

Her F4 is phenomenal

NJ doesn't beat a F2 follow-up. You won't always do it twice in a row obviously, since it's not guaranteed, but it's surprising enough to throw out once in a while.
But that wasn't really the point. I just meant that it's a great string on its own, while leaving you + and at a F2 range.

But, what do you mean B2 is not a real stagger ? :D Of course they can spam D1 after every hit of a string that doesn't leave you + on block, otherwise that would be a frame trap. That's the definition of staggering.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Sonic also said Cassie has "really good krushing blow requirements."

Not sure how I feel about that. I think hers are pretty average. The only ones I can count on getting pretty much every game are F2, 1+3 and D2.

B13 is doable, but isn't super common in my experience. Maybe I'm not conditioning enough high blocking in my play.

Fully charged guns is pretty hard to land, and we've already discussed amp nut kick being a waste of meter. And then there's shoulder charge which I'm sure Sonic wasn't referring to since no one is using Yaas Queen.

So 6 KBs in Digital Soldier (including D2) and only 3 are reliable in my opinion. So yeah, average KBs. I know she has it better than some like Johnny, but I wouldn't say hers are great compared to other S and even A tier characters.
I get her KBs a lot in games, sometimes you just gotta put out B243 without conditioning. The name of the game is not being predictable, and throwing out B243 from half screen is my way of doing that XD people don't get the B13 a lot because it's unsafe, and well I like playing unsafe because that combo can get you hella damage for 1 bar. It really depends on how you play.

Methysan

Noob

Something else I just discovered about standing 2. If you hit F4 you're +16, but because of the way female characters double over, F2 will miss but S2 won't even though they're both 10 frame startup. This is only in the corner obviously.

Ehndur

Yes
Something else I just discovered about standing 2. If you hit F4 you're +16, but because of the way female characters double over, F2 will miss but S2 won't even though they're both 10 frame startup. This is only in the corner obviously.
Yeah, it doesn't even surprise me. There is so much inconsistency with high hitting moves. :confused: It does have to do with the way they're animated and the hitbox that goes along though. Like, you can see that S2, despite being a high, in his animation, goes way lower than, say S1.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I really don’t see what’s wrong with her low pokes. You can’t have a character with such oppressive normals and expect her to have Johnny cage pokes. Even then, her pokes seem pretty normal to me.
As with pretty much everything else regarding her playstyle, her pokes are balanced. I meant that it's not as good to use her low pokes when compared to her standing pokes.

What is the best way to not drop her 1,1,1 ender? Do you do a micro dash? Also, when using j4 do you delay the kick as well? Like in B2,4 + Low gunshots AMP * J4 * 1,1,1 + Up glow... and hitting her s4 can be strange too, one step too much and you cross yourself up with your back to the opponent lol, i like it. I need execution or timing heavy stuff or else i become bored.

Ehndur

Yes
What is the best way to not drop her 1,1,1 ender? Do you do a micro dash? Also, when using j4 do you delay the kick as well? Like in B2,4 + Low gunshots AMP * J4 * 1,1,1 + Up glow... and hitting her s4 can be strange too, one step too much and you cross yourself up with your back to the opponent lol, i like it. I need execution or timing heavy stuff or else i become bored.
No delay on the J4. The timing is on 1, 1, 1. As late as you can basically, so the last 1 doesn't whiff.

If you're talking about the S4 in the S4 * 1, 1, 1 * Glow Kick, I have not really found a good way to time it. So, I just input the dash right before being free from the AMP Low Gunshots, and try to find the good timing for the S4 and get it to muscle memory. If you find any visual or audio indicator, I'll gladly take it.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
NJ doesn't beat a F2 follow-up. You won't always do it twice in a row obviously, since it's not guaranteed, but it's surprising enough to throw out once in a while.
But that wasn't really the point. I just meant that it's a great string on its own, while leaving you + and at a F2 range.

But, what do you mean B2 is not a real stagger ? :D Of course they can spam D1 after every hit of a string that doesn't leave you + on block, otherwise that would be a frame trap. That's the definition of staggering.

Stagger string is a series of attacks designed to get your opponent to take damage. A good example of this would be frame traps, or even tick throws. Staggering your attack is simply shifting the timing of your attacks to get your opponent to flinch, in order to set them up for a frame trap, reversal bait, or tick throw. An example would be to do a d1, walk forward half a step, and then do another d1.

Cassie doesn't have that kind of frame advantage off of a b2 or b24 and doesn't really get that type of frame advantage in general

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
I feel like Cassie has a great corner game. She literally has one button that forces you to make a move. F4 IS THAT GOOD! Literally puts you in position to whiff punish anything the opponent does. Sweep(b4) is an amazing button as well. She gets her best damage there and pressure. She gets even meatier nut kicks up to +6(haven’t found any more + than +6), safe jump setups that beat 10f wakeups. And as far ending combos, nutkick is great but ending in knockdowns force people to burn more resources which opens up more damage/better pressure.

Ehndur

Yes
Stagger string is a series of attacks designed to get your opponent to take damage. A good example of this would be frame traps, or even tick throws. Staggering your attack is simply shifting the timing of your attacks to get your opponent to flinch, in order to set them up for a frame trap, reversal bait, or tick throw. An example would be to do a d1, walk forward half a step, and then do another d1.

Cassie doesn't have that kind of frame advantage off of a b2 or b24 and doesn't really get that type of frame advantage in general
Someone explained it clearer than me :

Goatlegs

Noob
I feel like Cassie has a great corner game. She literally has one button that forces you to make a move. F4 IS THAT GOOD! Literally puts you in position to whiff punish anything the opponent does. Sweep(b4) is an amazing button as well. She gets her best damage there and pressure. She gets even meatier nut kicks up to +6(haven’t found any more + than +6), safe jump setups that beat 10f wakeups. And as far ending combos, nutkick is great but ending in knockdowns force people to burn more resources which opens up more damage/better pressure.
This x1000. If Cassie had high dmg corner bnbs along with her current options she would be too strong if she isn’t already.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Someone explained it clearer than me :

That's a great video lol I know what it is, what I'm saying is Cassie's b2 isn't a stagger though. B2 is -4 on block and doesn't recover quickly enough to do much else. For example, b2 gets blocked, you go for a grab (which would be 14 frames) your opponent d1's or even d2 for a crushing blow. Remember grabs are a high and if your opponent isn't blocking, it will whiff. The only thing you can do after a b2 is possibly walk back or try to d1 but she doesn't get much of anything off a d1.

Theres nothing threatening about her b243 string other then it's a phenomenal whiff punisher.

It's true her b2 is -4 but with it's slow recovery back to neutral, your opponent won't have a hard time contesting it since it would be there turn.

Now I'm not saying shes bad or anything but she doesn't have much offensive pressure to work with outside of f4.

The pressure she creates is solely based off her defense.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
That's a great video lol I know what it is, what I'm saying is Cassie's b2 isn't a stagger though. B2 is -4 on block and doesn't recover quickly enough to do much else. For example, b2 gets blocked, you go for a grab (which would be 14 frames) your opponent d1's or even d2 for a crushing blow. Remember grabs are a high and if your opponent isn't blocking, it will whiff. The only thing you can do after a b2 is possibly walk back or try to d1 but she doesn't get much of anything off a d1.

Theres nothing threatening about her b243 string other then it's a phenomenal whiff punisher.

It's true her b2 is -4 but with it's slow recovery back to neutral, your opponent won't have a hard time contesting it since it would be there turn.

Now I'm not saying shes bad or anything but she doesn't have much offensive pressure to work with outside of f4.

The pressure she creates is solely based off her defense.
It works as long as you are giving them different looks. Also 12 is 0 on block, 21 is -1 on block, f3 is -1 on block, f32 is -2 on block. Just keep them on their toes and they will show you how to pressure them.