What's new

Characters who seem to have been given the wrong character's gear?

Art Lean

Noob
So as per my recent profile post whereby I'd bemoaned that Frost's Lin Kuei uniform has bikini line seams on it that suggest it was originally meant to be bare-legged as a homage to Ruby in MK Defenders of the Realm and then at the last minute they decided to cover her thighs. Not only does the stitching match Ruby's body suit perfectly, but Frost even gets the uniform in red, whilst I also mentioned that Sub Zero actually got Ruby's mask, Cyromancer's Calling, but frustratingly Frost did not.

Now as I'm sure we're aware, Jade and Skarlet strangely actually share a few masks (mostly the awful ones with no straps that are magically glued to their faces), and all this got me thinking, are there any gear pieces that you've literally felt were actually given to the wrong character and have left you thinking "aaggghhh why can't I use those on this character instead of that character"?

For me there's actually quite a few:

* As stated above, Sub Zero's Cryomancer's Calling mask should have gone to Frost (preferably with the hood, but even just to have the exact mask with her red LK uniform would have been nice) since it's nearly identical to Ruby's.

* Johnny should have got Cassie's Cool Reflectors (I believe they're also the same as Sonya's Mean Muggers) glasses to better recapture MK1 and 2 with his retro MK2 skin.

* Terminator should have got Johnny's LA 2019 glasses as they're very close to the Terminator 1 glasses.

* Scorpion should have got Mileena's Divine Ragakam mask as a homage to MK Legacy.

* Rain should have a 'no gear' option for his arm just as Sub Zero does for his belt, as it doesn't do anything anyway and the one and only option in his retro ninja skin (since all the others weirdly don't have a strap if chosen) is utter crap.

* Specifically Kold War Skarlet should have had access to Kabal's More Machine Than Man gas mask, it's so soviet it would look amazing.

* ALL of the male ninjas should have had a palette swap of Scorpion's Furious Akuma cloth mask, like the Shang morphs do.

* Whilst not exactly the same (since it's got different eyes), however Frost should have had a full overhead classic cyberninja mask like Robocop has.

* Shang should have had an option for no bracers, like Kung Lao and Liu Kang do.

* Mileena should have had access to a lot of the classic Sais that Kitana has instead of all the overly ornate ones in her own repertoire.

* Noob Saibot should have had Sub Zero's Cold Skull of Bi-Han and Brother's Keeper masks (though still letting Sub Zero also have them of course).

* The Joker should have had Noob Saibot's Crazed Laughter mask.

* Johnny should have got a palette swap of Liu King's Unrelenting Python Grip bracers in homage to MK1 (since I do believe in MK2, Ho Sung Pak actually wore Johnny's bracers that Daniel Pesina wore in MK1... and Elizabeth Malecki as Sonya did in MK1 too?).

* The Brigitte Wilson Sonya skin should have come with a palette swap of Johnny's After Party basic wrist watch gear for her gloves slot to match the movie.

* Not gear per say, but Skarlet should have got D'Vorah's horror nurse skin.

* And again a skin, NightWOLF should have got Johnny's werewolf skin, as a silly homage to MK Annihilation "Pretty cool huh? It's my animality."

Actually I've probably exhausted all of them in this post.

Carry on :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 66057

My vote is for Raiden… who should have gotten a stand 1 string with no flawless block cause… it’s not even fucking special cancelable. That looks good on all the other characters.

For me it's KL skin decisions.

Why on earth would you give Kotal Kahn a ridiculous hercules beetle Kytinn skin and not the six armed character you can turn into a Spider?
Why would you not give D'vorah a Red and Black Season of Blood skin? It turns her into a Black Widow.
Why pick Kung Lao for your Lizard League and not "Hornbuckle" Liu Kang?

Mileena should of gotten her own damn sais, not Kitana.
Mileena should have actually had Kitana's Bony Butt attack as a Customizable move that replaced Tele-Kick instead of being a rarely used Jinsei Augment gimmick. I mean it's fair game after Kitana stole her Tele-Kick into Air Projectile that Mileena can't do anymore.

And hell since Kitana can do it in a stance I've never seen Kitana players use, Maybe have Mileena's Air Sai gain a bonus option where she can throw Sai at a Downward Angle.

But nah, I guess despite her always doing it to others you aren't allowed to steal from the princess of mk.

Last edited:

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I actually quit the game very early on, so I'm not that familiar with most gear, and my one complaint might actually have been fixed already, but I remember being very upset when I realized that in the first MK game where we were giving the option to customize our characters, NRS decided to give us 25 different staffs to use as Jade, and yet not one of them was purple.

Art Lean

Noob
I actually quit the game very early on, so I'm not that familiar with most gear, and my one complaint might actually have been fixed already, but I remember being very upset when I realized that in the first MK game where we were giving the option to customize our characters, NRS decided to give us 25 different staffs to use as Jade, and yet not one of them was purple.
It’s been sort of fixed, but not completely. Your staff will always be purple if you choose her MK2 or UMK3 skins, but you can’t have it be purple with any other skins (nor do you have the choice of it being purple or green with the retro skins either, it has to always be purple with those skins no matter which staff you select).

I was just thinking something.

In Story Mode we see pictures of Jax where he's Bald and some where he's rocking a thin stache but when it comes time to give him a classic skin with a stache, just reuse the young jax facial model from story mode and when it comes time to make a Revenant skin that should be bald just reuse the old jax facial model.