What's new

Strategy Characters That Tanya's Ex Tanfa Throw Whiffs on & how to punish it & Who b2 Works On to Stuff Armor

Dragon_FGC

Knowledge is power
This post is not just for Tanya players. This is for anyone who plays against Tanya and needs to know if Tanya's ex tanfa throw whiffs on their character, or if their armor can get stuffed.

For those of you who may or may not know, Tanya's ex tanfa throw will sometimes whiff on the way back on certain characters if they duck after the overhead of the b1 2+4 string. Tanyas b2 also stuffs most characters armor, but not all.

Stance can SOMETIMES dictate if the ex tanfa throw whiffs on second hit or not.

Corner may also dictate whether or not the move whiffs.

If you only hit the 2+4 of b12+4 then it can make ex tanfa whiff more then normal.

Just doing b1 ex tanfa throw makes it so it doesn't whiff on certain characters (or makes it whiff less).

A Working tanfa throw means it hits on the way out and on the way back.

A Non-working tanfa throw means it hits on the way out and whiffs on the way back leading into a full combo punish after the tanfa comes back to her.

Below you will find that I went into the lab to see what characters Tanya's B2 works on to stuff armor, and how many times ex tanfa throw will work correctly out of 10 times.

Jason - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.
Kung Lao - Tanfa throw works 7/10 times. B2 doesn't work.
Jax - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.
Sonya - Tanfa throw works 3/10 times.B2 works.
Kenshi - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.
Kitana - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times??? (I could of swore that it didn't work sometimes). B2 works.
Scorpion - Tanfa throw works 0/10 times. B2 doesn't work on slide or teleport but it will make teleport whiff.
Sub Zero - Tanfa throw works 6/10 times. B2 works.
Mileena - Tanfa throw works 3/10 times. B2 works.
Takeda - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.
Cassie - Tanfa throw works 1/10 times. B2 doesn't work.
Jacquie - Tanfa throw works 3/10 times. B2 works.
Kung Jin - Tanfa throw works 5/10 times. B2 works.
Tanya - Tanfa throw works 9/10 times. B2 works on everything but ex drill kick.
Predator - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.
Shinnok - Tanfa throw works 0/10 times. B2 works.
Kano - Tanfa throw works 0/10 times. B2 works on everything but ex upball (regular ball is difficult to b2).
Johnny Cage - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.
Erron Black - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.
Liu Kang - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.
Ermac - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.
Kotal Kahn - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.
Reptile - Tanfa throw works 8/10 times. B2 works on everything but ex slide.
Ferra/Torr - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works on everything but "Grab 'n' Stab".
D'vorah - Tanfa throw works 2/10 times. B2 works.
Raiden - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.
Quan Chi - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works against the warlock variations armor.
Goro - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works on everything but ex punchwalk.
Tremor - Tanfa throw works 10/10 times. B2 works.

The timing of b2 to stuff the opponents armor will be a bit different for every move.

Video tutorial on punishing a whiffed ex tanfa throw from Tanya.

All in all it's honestly just random whether or not the tanfa throw will whiff or not (from what I can tell).

Thank you all for reading! Hopefully this helps some of you guys out. Cya next time in the Mortal Kombat Arena :)!

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
For the record, most characters can just backdash after the first hit in order to get out of her pressure. This is still good info and pretty useful. Good job.

Dragon_FGC

Knowledge is power
For the record, most characters can just backdash after the first hit in order to get out of her pressure. This is still good info and pretty useful. Good job.
Thanks so much! Yeah they can backdash the tanfa throw going out then backdash it coming back but you can't backdash it if you already get hit by it on the way out, so it's basically a guess, am I gonna rekka or tanfa throw, and If do a tanfa strike and you predict the tanfa throw and backdash then you get hit.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
For Tanya players - If you're playing against a character that your ex tanfa whiffs a lot on, use b1 tanfa throw instead of b1 2+4 tanfa throw, this way you're tanfa throw will never whiff and plus there are no gaps compared to b1 2+4 ex tanfa throw.
Unless something has changed since the patch, this is not true. There is still a few frames where they can duck block between b1 and tonfa toss, and it doesn't jail them 100% of the time when they do this. It does eliminate the gap though.

b1~ex tonfa toss does jail better than b12+4~ex tonfa toss though. I think this is mainly a distance thing.

Also, it should be noted that the corner changes things as well. Some characters it will almost always whiff in the corner.

Dragon_FGC

Knowledge is power
Unless something has changed since the patch, this is not true. There is still a few frames where they can duck block between b1 and tonfa toss, and it doesn't jail them 100% of the time when they do this. It does eliminate the gap though.

b1~ex tonfa toss does jail better than b12+4~ex tonfa toss though. I think this is mainly a distance thing.

Also, it should be noted that the corner changes things as well. Some characters it will almost always whiff in the corner.
Wow you're right, my bad. I made the opponent always block and duck when they can but apparently they don't use the frames that they can duck to duck. I'll change this, thanks for the info.

Corner does change things I will add that.

Thanks for the insight :).

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Wow you're right, my bad. I made the opponent always block and duck when they can but apparently they don't use the frames that they can duck to duck. I'll change this, thanks for the info.

Corner does change things I will add that.

Thanks for the insight :).
No problem! I tested this a while ago and figured out that b1 and f2 were best at jailing. I tested both of them midscreen and in the corner.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Is there a reason why Kung Lao can beat b2, but Jax can't (Tempest specific maybe)? His ex OH punch is 5f, which I believe is faster than Lao's ex spin.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Is there a reason why Kung Lao can beat b2, but Jax can't (Tempest specific maybe)? His ex OH punch is 5f, which I believe is faster than Lao's ex spin.
The startup on OH DP is not correct in the movelist. Probably due to it being a move that is a derivative of the actual dash punch.