What's new

Characters don't look at each other

So there was something about the game that bugging me for a while and i think i pinpointed what it is.

Characters don't seem to "look" at each other as much as they did in MKX, and it's slightly off putting.

Note Kano vs Erron in KK#7 @50:33

Kano is staring at Erron's chest! Unless the movement is much more nuanced and the eyes are doing all the movement, and difficult to see on a smaller screen. But it looks odd that he wouldn't move his head up, at least a little.

They also don't seem to look up when characters jump over them.

Just playing around with MKX, a shorter character will look up/down to the other if they're very close. They'll also move their head slightly even when moving from far to close. In MK11 they seem to have a fixed gaze straight across.

Small nitpick yes, and the times that it's clearly evident probably isn't that much, but I think MKX did this better, and am quite surprised that it wasn't at least as good as MKX given how well everything else in the game is looking.

Hopefully it's something that's still being tweaked and will be at least as good as MKX when released.

Last edited:
I don't think it's even possible to notice this unless the characters are both sitting around doing nothing because they're being demo'd. If they're slinging attacks, their line of sight is the last thing you'll be paying attention to.

Xelz

Go over there!
Heh, I noticed this during the Kotal Kahn walkthrough. Trust me, it’s much more obvious when he’s on the screen.

But I actually prefer it because in MK9 and X characters would tilt their heads unnaturally and it created uncanny valleys. If you watch a real fight, people generally shift their eyes more than their necks and if they need to move their head then their entire body shifts a bit. Animating that would be rough, which is why other fighting games don’t do what MK9 and X did.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Kano is staring at Erron's chest! Unless the movement is much more nuanced and the eyes are doing all the movement, and difficult to see on a smaller screen. But it looks odd that he wouldn't move his head up, at least a little.
In combat, you want to keep your eyes on the opponent's centre mass.

When someone is within personal range of you (6-7ft at the most) the only way you can hope to react to his movement is if you look at the chest bone / solar plexus area: This way, you can see both arms and both legs by peripheral vision.