What's new

Character variations in story mode?

How do you guys think variations will play out in the story mode? My assumption is that they will be locked throughout the story, as in the MK9 story line cutscenes transitioned smoothly into the fights. Pausing to allow players to select their variations, in my opinion, would break up the pacing and create an awkward pause between fights. Further, the character's costumes during cutscenes don't betray any particular variation. Cassie, for example, isn't wearing a head set or sunglasses nor are her fists glowing. I feel as though the transition from cutscene to fight might be weird if Cassie were suddenly wearing sunglasses.

So, will characters be locked into their first variation? Their second? Different variations locked for different characters? Perhaps some sort of hybrid mix of the variations unique to the story mode?

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
I imagine some characters will switch between variations based on timeline e.g. Netherrealm War will be Inferno Scorpion, 15 years could be Hellfire and 25 years Ninjitsu.

For others, like Cassie, I think the game will randomly decide for you

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I was wondering this too. I imagine variations will be pre-chosen for each fight. Since most characters will likely be fighting several times, I imagine you'll get to play as several variations before it transitions you to the next character.

I imagine some characters will switch between variations based on timeline e.g. Netherrealm War will be Inferno Scorpion, 15 years could be Hellfire and 25 years Ninjitsu.

For others, like Cassie, I think the game will randomly decide for you
Along this line of thought, the variation could be made obvious prior to each fight. Perhaps Scorpion finds swords in a cutscene and loses them in another. Perhaps somebody informs Cassie that she'll have air support missles during her next fight. Perhaps perhaps perhaps.

My guess is that it will have at least 3 fights per character that you play in the story and it will have you play all 3 variations, switching for each fight.

To add to that, I'm going to assume that they will somehow make the variation tie in correctly for a fight. For example, if you are playing as Kitana and it puts you up in a fight against Goro, it will give you the Mournful variation in order to make it easier to keep him away.

I dunno, just a thought.

I'm enjoying this topic more than the 800th "Who will make the final roster" thread

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Well, maybe they set up you using certain variations... like... Cassie and co stroll in to talk to kano and before she fights him, she says a one liner and puts on her shades just like her father's win pose and then the fight starts?

or she's about ready to fight someone and she cracks her knuckles and that signifies it's brawler variation?

I think it would be rather easy to switch up variations and still keep the pacing and transitions smooth.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Along this line of thought, the variation could be made obvious prior to each fight. Perhaps Scorpion finds swords in a cutscene and loses them in another. Perhaps somebody informs Cassie that she'll have air support missles during her next fight. Perhaps perhaps perhaps.
stole my idea... you damn ninja you!!

My guess is that it will have at least 3 fights per character that you play in the story and it will have you play all 3 variations, switching for each fight.

To add to that, I'm going to assume that they will somehow make the variation tie in correctly for a fight. For example, if you are playing as Kitana and it puts you up in a fight against Goro, it will give you the Mournful variation in order to make it easier to keep him away.
This would be ideal for me personally, as I myself (like several others) will be playing story mode to completion before the other game modes. This would essentially give me a very quick run-through of all the variations.

However, don't you think that this would be a bit confusing for casual players? Lets not kid ourselves, the story mode is incredibly awesome but its main purpose is to appeal to casual gamers, in my opinion.

This would be ideal for me personally, as I myself (like several others) will be playing story mode to completion before the other game modes. This would essentially give me a very quick run-through of all the variations.

However, don't you think that this would be a bit confusing for casual players? Lets not kid ourselves, the story mode is incredibly awesome but its main purpose is to appeal to casual gamers, in my opinion.
That's true.. I'm sure NRS has a plan to remedy their confusion. Whether it be a breakdown of the variation before you end up in a fight or just a list of the special moves on the screen during the fight..

Not sure. If they don't do anything about it, I'll just lol a bit

That's true.. I'm sure NRS has a plan to remedy their confusion. Whether it be a breakdown of the variation before you end up in a fight or just a list of the special moves on the screen during the fight..

Not sure. If they don't do anything about it, I'll just lol a bit
These are good solutions but they ruin the story if the player is trying to really get immersed in the universe.

Imagine Mileena saying "Now you wish to STEAL MY MEANS OF RECLAIMING IT!??!?!"

Followed by a little window popping up describing how to use Kotal's Sun God variation.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
It would be a nice change, instead of fighting the same boring garbage character that is Sheeva like 65161153135198 times in MK9, at least there is a difference,