What's new

Character Powers Thread

Red Son

Noob
Recently I've been working on some kind of a list with the character powers, I only put some characters powers in the list, because is the ones that I have more knowledge. I want to share that with you guys. I forgot about the damage, so as my list is finished I will add it.

Please take a look, comment and help me complete my list. Opinions are welcome, especially if you main the character.

sorry about the bad quality images of the characters.

I think that every character should be around 41 ~ 46

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Granted scorpions vortex and void set ups are risky, he has a lot of safe normals that can chip you out, especially in ths corner. I would buff his safe game to 2

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

RiverHB

Noob
Great stuff. I do have a question about one of the categories, though. Is "punish" based on damage, or more opportunities to punish things, or both? An example is I think Jax has many opportunities to punish, but the damage is unremarkable unless he's got the opponent cornered.

Red Son

Noob
RiverHB - the punish is based in damage, if it's easily to punish, if it leads to resets, or vortex (scorpion), if it leads more easily to corner (the character have to be good in corner here). With Jax it's so easy to punish, 1,2 string, 1 point, you can direct the character when you're punishing he, if you do the df2 after the punish, the opponent is pushed away in front of you, and if the corner is in your back, you can end with db1, so you can leads the opponent to corner so easily, Jax has good corner game, so it's 2 points here. The damage it's not that good but it's not that bad, and if you're in the corner, Bam! reset.

beef_supreme - I agree with you, I'll edit to buff scorpion, and will add johnny cage. XD I'm studying cage right now.

NKZero

Noob
Red Son this is a really great idea man so nice work! It's nice to get a feeling of what each character is capable of doing and it makes choosing a character significantly easier imo. Can I ask what safe game means? I notice that people like Kitana, Kabal and Sub Zero excel in that category. Is it something to do with keeping your space and distance from the opponent or something. Or is it that the character has no risky options?

Red Son

Noob
NKZero - The last one. Look at scorpion, like everyone else, he have safe and unsafe options, but his mainly game, the vortex, leads to unsafe moves, like b2 and f4+spear, if you don't do that unsafe moves, you're scorpion will not be that good, so you need to go to some risky ways. But a character like Liu Kang, can play a entire game much more safer, [b3, 1, 2] is safe, [f1, 2] is safe, safe projectiles, the only risky is the specials, but you don't need to follow then, unless you're being zonning, so that risky I nerfed in anti-zonning proprieties.
Kitana can cancel a great part of her specials in to df2, unless the opponent is ducking, you're safe. There's no total safe character, so I put five points to the characters that can play very well with only the safe moves. Kitana's [f2,1] is safe, as the f4, 1 if you end with df2.
Kabal can cancel almost everything in to the NDC, making it much more safer. The only unsafe move that it's more used is the ground saw, and if he misses the cancel, so his safe game is not 5, but 4.
Sub Zero can play a part of the time more safer (not totally safe), canceling his normals in to the ice clone. But in the other part of the time he have to follow his game by unsafe options, like the slide, ice balls and stuff like that. So I gave him 3 points

All of this is my opinion, and its most likely a little off, but here's how i see a few of your blank ones:
Baraka:
3: spark is alright, pokes are above average
2: has knee reset, pretty much it here
4: blade charge is stellar, and spark trades pretty well, but mostly blade charge
3: he has a subpar at best mix up if i remember correctly
3: Baraka remains consistently average, your not gonna overwhelm someone, but he can hold his own
2: he's not building crazy meter by any stretch
4: baraka does a pretty good job with AA, blade charge, spin, and slices (might be chop chop, cant remember the name) also works very well
3: Baraka has some good damage, and can move you to the corner pretty quick
5: baraka has a top tier corner game, not a place you want to be
3: his best launcher is safe, but some of his other stuff requires a little more riskyness
I can do some more if you'd like

Red Son

Noob
Thank you, I was not familiar with Baraka. Otherwise I was studying his proprieties and it's pratically the same thing that you describe here, especially the metter stuff, he's not good with that. I think his anti-zonning could be 3, because you have to spend a bar to get in, and his metter build is very low. he don't have any teleports or dashes.

I'll be glad if you could bring me more information like that, 'cause I main Kung lao since the beginning of times and I'm not familiar with those characters, specially Freddy and Scarlet. xD

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Scorpion:
-Zoning: 2 (Spear, Teleport, and Demon-Fire mix-up is all he has: he can't keep people out for long)
-Frame Traps/Resets: 4 or 6 (depends on what you mean by reset, because Scorpion is well known for his Vortex and Void, but has no guaranteed frame traps or resets)
-Anti-Zoning: 4 (Demon Fire trades with anything other than iaP, Net, Forceball, and Ice Ball twice, and EN Spear, but unfortunately still gets blown up by iaP of all kinds.
-Mind Games: 6 (no doubt about it)
-Meter Build: 4 (Can build 1/4th of a bar per combo; good pressure; cannot spam specials)
-Air Control: 5 (D1, D4, 1, 2, 3, Spear, Teleport and finally super priority Air Throw when comboing isn't an option: only aerial specials prevent him from controlling the skies)
-Punishes: 5 (There are few things that Scorpion can't punish, but for the most part, he gets good damage and great positioning out of any situation)
-Corner Game: 1 (Scorpion isn't that exceptional in the corner, and he can't really escape the corner easily either)
-Safe Game: 3 (Dollar Menu goes a long way in his pressure game)

Red Son

Noob
Very good information, from a player that mains he...
Thank you. I'll make this changes.

And I'm assuming that the vortex and the void is more in the mind games.
I'm gonna put the reset as 4, because he uses reset to vortex or void, but the extra points are in the mind games.

NariTuba

disMember
Nice looking graphs, i dig'em so ill contribute for whatever its worth.

When it comes to johnny cage, i disagree on three points:

Anti zoning 3/5: should be 2/5. His projectile sucks ass to stop a zoner for the same reasons it sucks to zone with. Red kick requires meter and leaves the opponent back in their comfortable zoning space on hit unless in the corner. If Cages anti zoning would be 3 out of 5 he would be unstoppable. The reason he is not, is because he gets zoned by not only the best zoners in the game.

Punish 5/5: Too much rating for his damage. (The best punisher in the game is Cyrax... he gets up to 80% damage or more under the right circumstances) Sure, Cage ends punishes in nutpunch and some chip but it ends up being in the high 20s low 30s AT BEST. After that comes a mind game... which leads me to my next and most important remark:

Mindgames 2/5: Im not sure how you classify this, but imho Cage's ENTIRE game is based on mindgames. Most of his strings are neutral on block so playing him is to constantly make your opponent try to interrupt or escape, anticipate and capitalize. He doesnt use frame advantage to keep you locked down, he uses strings that are neutral and dares you to escape, then crushes you.

Hope it helps :)

Seapeople

This one's for you
Just my personal opinions about Robo Cyrax, take them for what its worth lol.

Zoning: 3.5/5 - Net has a big hitbox & gives a big reward. Bombs can control the opponent's position. He really struggles against fast projectiles though.

Frame traps/Resets: 4.5/5 - This category is really broad imo. It could be just seperated into "Damage" and "Rushdown".
5/5 for damage obviously and 4/5 for rushdown - Most strings are neutral on block, but he has some amazing tools. Command grab mixups, double net vortex, 212 corner trap, and bomb traps all keep Cyrax's momentum going. He also has average pokes.

Anti-Zoning: 1/5 - Random teleports + net and bombs keep the opponent from being stupid. That's all he's got.

Mind Games: 5/5 - This kind of goes along with my rushdown opinions. Command grab, double net vortex, and the 212 corner trap are low risk/high reward. He can do a random net after any string to keep the opponent blocking. And a blocking opponent is a command grab'd opponent.

Meter Build: 3/5 - He builds meter at a normal speed, but his meter is devastating. 1 bar does 60-80% into more mixups. He can nulify the opponent's meter with ex net. Some of the best unbreakable combos in the game. Maybe rename this category "Meter management"?

Air Control: 2.5/5 - Cyrax doesn't control the air like the instant-air characters, but he does alright. Nets are hard to jump over. Great anti air with df1, 1 and d1.

Punishment: 4/5 - He doesn't have a godlike punisher like Raiden's superman, KL spin, Sub's 22, etc. But he can punish most things for huge damage.

Corner Game: 4/5 - His options just get scarier in the corner. IMHO, his corner game is only worse than Sub Zero, Kenshi, Jax and Cage.

Safeness: 3/5 - His only risks are random teleports, random nets after a block string, and corner bomb traps.

Miscellaneous - He has some of the worst wakeups in the game and very little armor. Idk if that fits into any specific category.

Red Son

Noob
Seapeople - thanks for the information, the miscellaneous thing, I'll be adding a new wake up category, so that fits there. One thing that I don't agree with you is the cyrax's anti-zonning proprieties, it's like 3/5, because the bombs and teleport is all he needs, you can throw a bomb in the middle of a zonning pressure, it'll make your opponents leave the comfort line, when he do that, you teleport, and then you're in, a net trade it's not a bad idea, since he will win or draw the trade, except it's Quan Chi trading. It's not a god like anti-zonning so I think that 3/5 is good. Like NariTuba said, his punishes leads to his high damage resets, so I think it's 5/5. About the others informations, I added, you're right.

NariTuba - I never think about that, but you're right, cage it's all about mind games. Very good info, I changed it.:)

Edited: It's done, I added the wake ups and meter management to the graphics, I also put numbers on the side of each character, for those who likes tier lists.
Tomorrow I'll see the other characters.

About that 6/5 powers that I added to some character, it's because I think that the character is the best in the game when it comes to that specifically propriety. Like Noob Saibot's zonning or Kitana's air control.

Any guesses or suggestions just leave a message, I'll like to answer and make that list more accurate, every information is welcome.