What's new

Character Discords

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I made this thread to discuss the use of character discords..

Imo I think they are very damaging to TYM and diminishes greatly the availability of information for people that want to learn the character.

It defeats the whole purpose of even having these forums and I've noticed many of these discords have limited capacity as well..

That is my opinion and I hope we end them..
What do you guys think. Maybe there's an added benefit I cannot see.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I think it's ok to kinda just spitball. I would say that any worthwhile content that comes out of them should be also be echoed on the appropriate thread here to help noobs, keep this site active, and to have a catalog of the info.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. It made sense when we weren't allowed to post game info on TYM, but now that the game is out, hopefully we don't remain so fragmented. I'm getting back to only sharing info on TYM.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
tbf you can just join all of them if you wanted all that information there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed in them so the information isn't restricted.
but I agree in some way it does seem somewhat obsolete when you have these forums that are split up into characters but it's a means of instant messaging, a quicker way to discuss theories before posting it all here I suppose.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I noticed that the character forums where waaaay more dead than usual when a game drops and realized the discords were to blame..

Like I said, I can see why some might find them useful but imo they do way more damage than good..

Also I've visited some of these discords and they're much more unorganized than these forums so finding info is much more difficult. It's also twice the work of you have to visit here and the discords if you want to find certain info

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
I made this thread to discuss the use of character discords..

Imo I think they are very damaging to TYM and diminishes greatly the availability of information for people that want to learn the character.

It defeats the whole purpose of even having these forums and I've noticed many of these discords have limited capacity as well..

That is my opinion and I hope we end them..
What do you guys think. Maybe there's an added benefit I cannot see.
Agreed. I get the whole character council, tech testing thing but the lack of activity on the character forums, given the release date was yesterday for some parts of the world, is a shame.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
For me its just an ease of use thing. Like i can join a discord chat server and instantly invite someone to play and we both can join a voice channel and discuss tech, mu,gear etc all right there. I don't have to sift through pages of threads to talk about a specific thing either. Also since its an app when i get tagged i get notified on my phone immediately as well. Also easier access to google docs, pics, etc just everything is just easier on the go. I'm still going to post everything i know on tym, but just from say a mobile use aspect its just an easier way to share info quicker. Also you don't have to deal with any ESG Jagged/MadeOfMetal type bs in servers hehuehe

sars

Noob
I agree. TYM helped me so much for MKX. My first fighting game. Now I see people on reddit asking for character help and I canthink even point them here. Most characters don't even have a basic bnb combo thread. Newer people will just get frustrated and leave the game without some help.

-LD50-

In a relationship with Killer Frost
As much as I love tym - discord is just simply a great platform with obvious advantages. There is a place for both. TYM is stronger for full guides and large rants but discord is a better place to develop discussions

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I don't really get discord tbh.

I don't think there's much cause for concern though. Pretty much everything I've seen on discord ends up on here too.

E

Eldriken

Us staff members have recently been instructed to no longer allow discussions about Discord here on TYM for the very reasons you mentioned, @dribirut.

I think discussions like this one is okay because you're not posting a Discord link for people to use, so don't sweat getting into any trouble due to the aforementioned.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I think it's ok to kinda just spitball. I would say that any worthwhile content that comes out of them should be also be echoed on the appropriate thread here to help noobs, keep this site active, and to have a catalog of the info.
I want to work on organizing on a higher level. I understand that find info can be hard. Perhaps, we need to add the PreFixes to the INJ2 forums. I think they worked well.

I take some of the blame for where TYM is, simply because I cannot be as active as I once was with work, family, etc. Regardless, I am trying..

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I want to work on organizing on a higher level. I understand that find info can be hard. Perhaps, we need to add the PreFixes to the INJ2 forums. I think they worked well.

I take some of the blame for where TYM is, simply because I cannot be as active as I once was with work, family, etc. Regardless, I am trying..
Honestly TYM works great but if I would hiiiiiiiiiighly recommend putting the injustice character icons in the first page forum section to make them more accessible. Currently I have to go through like 4 pages

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
This forum is dead. Shit, I remember when Injustice 1 came out and the forums were a floodzone. Same with MKX. It's very depressing.