What's new

Question Character Balance via Damage Adjustment

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Hi guys, I just have a general question regarding character balance and balancing:

When it comes to nerfing top tier characters and buffing low tier characters, why not accomplish this by (solely) adjusting damage output?

For example: now, Alien's bnb damage is such that 3 mixups = life bar gone. What if its overall damage was reduced by some % so that now, 5 or 6 mixups = life bar gone?

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
Nice idea, but it's not that simple. While damage increase/reduction may help a little bit it comes down to who has better tools, mixups and frames. For example, I play Balanced Kenshi from time to time and if somehow the opponent is not blocking low in the corner and b32 hits you can get 40%+ with no meter. Yet he still has a hard time against most of the cast.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Damage is not always a factor which makes a character top tier.

Sinestro hits like a two-year-old yet he's still a top tier

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
I see what you guys are saying and I do agree.

But I guess what I want to know is whether you can "ignore" factors like frame data, tools, strings, movement, etc., and only adjust damage instead? This way, the dynamics of a particular match-up doesn't change (i.e., a 7-3 remains a 7-3), but now the disadvantaged character could be winning more often and make the match-up seem like a 6-4 or 5-5.

P.S. not trying to be stubborn, just looking for more insight into the idea!

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Doing that can create very frustrating play though. A character with bad tools but very high damage can feel random and gimmicky to play as and against, while a high tier with great tools that are "excused" by low damage can still very much dominate a game with it just being dragged out to more frustrating lengths. I have similar complaints about how they try to create balance in Street Fighter by changing health values. It technically does work as a balancing tool but it isn't a gameplay friendly balancing tool.