What's new

Changes to Fatalities

Should Fatalities be more risky?

• Yes.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • No, they are fine as is (similar to MK9).

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's a ton of discussion to be had about gameplay, but I think we'll know a lot more after E3, so in the mean time, what's everyone's feelings about this change to fatalities:

Make them more difficult to perform by making spacing precise and more difficult inputs. In addition, make it so that there is a risk to performing them--perhaps, like a Mercy state where if you make a mistake, the opponent gets a small amount of health.

This is how I could see it working:

The amount of time to perform a fatality is reduced--maybe like 3 seconds total.
You cannot hold block while doing it.
The final button in the combination is an attack button.
The spacing for a fatality is never within range for a standing attack to hit an opponent.

Criteria for Fatality failure/mercy mode--whiffing a normal attack.
Criteria for ending a round without Fatality--attack the opponent or 3 seconds ends.

What this would do:

No more wasting time after winning--3 seconds maximum. If you act like an ass, you're punished. Hopefully, Fatalities would be more rare and more hype if someone risks it.

I don't know, I was thinking about it earlier and was bored--what does everyone think?

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
TAG TEAM FATALITIES. THEY HAVE BEEN AROUND SINCE MKDA KRYPT! Make it harder by removing Fatality Trainer and have fatalities go back to the mystique of mk1-3

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
It might be cool if they were just fight enders kind of like ultra combos in KI where you could cancel into them when your opponent is really low on health, and if you screw it up your opponent has a chance to come back. That would introduce some risk to it. I guess that would kind of screw up the whole fatalities at different distances though. Just throwing it out there.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Honestly
I'd prefer the old style to have 2 fatals.

Then i'd like a fatality that they do NOT give us the input for that chains off a combo. So like...... there is an indicator on the health bar that lets you know that 5% life is left.... so instead of doing a "normal" scorpion spear..... you know the special spear input.... and he does the OTG slam into some quick fatality that is fluid (just an example). That way it isn't a KI ultra...... but rather a new unique type of Fatality that has flair as well as a unique situation. Imagine getting into top 8 doing the combo fatal on someone and the commentators just going ape shit.

I can't imagine getting rid of the old school way of fatalities tho.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
It might be cool if they were just fight enders kind of like ultra combos in KI where you could cancel into them when your opponent is really low on health, and if you screw it up your opponent has a chance to come back. That would introduce some risk to it. I guess that would kind of screw up the whole fatalities at different distances though. Just throwing it out there.
this is getting out of hand..........

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
No need to be harsh. Just make it like the old school games and give a really short amount of time for it. And have them other than directions+attack.

I somehow enjoyed Sub's Run Run Block Run Block fatality in UMK3 not sure if it's that exactly but it's fun to mash it out.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Honestly

Then i'd like a fatality that they do NOT give us the input for that chains off a combo. So like...... there is an indicator on the health bar that lets you know that 5% life is left.... so instead of doing a "normal" scorpion spear..... you know the special spear input.... and he does the OTG slam into some quick fatality that is fluid (just an example). That way it isn't a KI ultra...... but rather a new unique type of Fatality that has flair as well as a unique situation. Imagine getting into top 8 doing the combo fatal on someone and the commentators just going ape shit.

There is an indicator on the health bar. The word damage flashes when you are at about 5% - 10% health left. Been there since around mk3.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
That's a good idea but better suited to Brutalities.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
That's a good idea but better suited to Brutalities.
Yeah, I hear ya...and it is kind of a direct rip off of ultras really. I don't even know if I like my own idea anymore :p, but I was just thinking from a risk perspective.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
i like ur idea but thats the scenario that ran through my head:

*inputs fatality codes wrong
*opponent (kabal) regains small amount of health
*dashes armor through my projectile and gets a full combo
*loses and gets salty!

lol i miss mercy days tho :)

i like ur idea but thats the scenario that ran through my head:

*inputs fatality codes wrong
*opponent (kabal) regains small amount of health
*dashes armor through my projectile and gets a full combo
*loses and gets salty!

lol i miss mercy days tho :)
Haha, I think it's kind of the point. The thing is that with the character rosters being so large now and the production being so high, we will probably only get 2 fatalities per character. Seeing them done after every single match online gets very old. By adding risk, it could make them more rare and refreshing to see them.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
Haha, I think it's kind of the point. The thing is that with the character rosters being so large now and the production being so high, we will probably only get 2 fatalities per character. Seeing them done after every single match online gets very old. By adding risk, it could make them more rare and refreshing to see them.
im all for it buddy if the game is not armor fest!

TAG TEAM FATALITIES. THEY HAVE BEEN AROUND SINCE MKDA KRYPT! Make it harder by removing Fatality Trainer and have fatalities go back to the mystique of mk1-3
the "mystique of mk1-3" only existed because no one had the internet in their pocket like they do today.

They could not include inputs for fatalities, and we'd know every single one for every single character within a day tops.

RemainSolid

It don’t always be like it is... but it do.
I want hara kiris. If your opponent is taking too long to input fatality code, you can input your hara kiri code while they're attempting their fatality. If they don't want you to hara kiri then be quick with the fatality or attack them before they input the hara kiri code. Or if the opponent rage quits they'll automatically hara kiri and you have the option of skipping it.

Honestly

Yeah, I've thought about something like this before too. In retrospect, the system is already there from MK9 in the form of X Rays. It was just never presented to the player as a "finishing move" so to speak. And of course, most X Rays can be chained from a combo so the fatalities should be too. I think finishers need to be situational and have movement properties of their own as well. Not just be big cut scenes. They would also look more fluid as well since the loser character wouldn't have have to stand from a knockdown or anything weird looking like that such as in past games.

That way there is more reward to the player that can actually finish the match with a fatality (in terms of prestige), with either the naked attack or from combo. It also presents risk to the person trying to do it, because they could be blocked as single attacks just like with X Rays. But yes, you should only be able to do the finisher when the life bar has a flashing indicator and when you're close to losing.

They should also have various finishing moves too based on a special button input, just like X Rays. And I think it might be best to have finishers all do the same damage to rid itself of any complications in damage potential. Unless you guys can find a reason in there being problems that would arise from this.

Last edited:

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Haha did this one spawn off my pathetic failed attempt to do Shang's joker fatality? ; P

Lol jk. But in all seriousness though, I'd like to see some challenging to input fatalities in the form of brutalities again.