What's new

Question - Hollywood Cassie Crisis

ryuandken24

From the page of Cage!
I have been playing with Cassie since the game came out. She is my favorite newcomer, I love her intros, her story, her look, and her sick ass combos. But even though I have stuck with her this long, I am still super scrubby and can only do 29 or a little over that percent. I'm not a BAD Cassie, I know what to do in situations, but I have such a hard time doing her db2 run cancel combos, which look awesome but I just can't get the hang of. And those combos seem to be half the character. I also cannot decide on a variation. I started out with brawler, now Hollywood, and as we speak I'm in the lab with Spec Ops which has to be my favorite looking variation those missile combos are just godlike. I win lots of online matches, but I feel so dirty and cheap after some wins because I didn't really do any real heavy hitting combos. I really rely heavily on d3 into f33, which is a underhead and overhead. A lot of people fall for it, and I love it but I feel I do it too much. I follow it up with a b212 a lot of the time. Recently something however that I never see any Cassie's do is in the corner, 112 into more ones and end it with another 112. I found you can do this over and over. So sorry if this post isn't well written, I'm newer to posting here, I just needed to get this off my chest and want some advice from Cassie players. Simple stuff, into bigger stuff. Oh I forgot to mention I also use Jason, Tanya, and Johnny sometimes as well. I find them a little easier to use (mainly Jason) but I have this urge to get good with Cass.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Hi, welcome to the Cassie forum! We don't use 112 in the corner because it doesn't lead to much damage. Your optimal corner punish will be with the 242 starter. What you do after that is up to you, but you get upwards of 46%. Generally, you want to start combos with B12, B212(+D1+2), DF1, F3, or 242. As for the midscreen run cancels, they just require a lot of practice to get consistently. Here is the combo thread for further assistance: http://testyourmight.com/threads/cassie-cage-combo-thread.49934/

A couple things

1) Do not feel dirty and/or cheap if you win without massive combos. Get that out of your head. If you can win by your fundamentals alone, great. If you can win because you've found super dirty stuff with your character, even better. You are essentially "Winning with your Sword in it's Sheath", that's good. It means you've found out a winning strategy that beat your opponent before the fight even started. If they want a better fight it's their responsibility to force you to draw your sword and whip out the real dirty stuff.

2) The trick to run cancels I've found is to rethink how your inputs work:

Your run will start after the final input of your run has been completed. That is :blk.

A full run input is :r:r:blk

The general idea, is you want most of your run input to be done, by the time you want to actually run. So ideally, :r:r should already be pressed by the time you are ready to input the run, and the only thing remaining should be :blk. The game automatically buffers in your previous inputs, it doesn't care that :r:r was already done during another move's recovery. Those inputs still count.

So when you see Cassie doing her :d:l:bp animation, you should already be inputting the :r:rof your full :r:r:blk run input. Your input for the run is already done 66% of the way, and you just need to remember to not press the final :blk until you see Cassie is done with her :d:l:bp

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Thanks guys thats all great info. Im looking at the combo thread right now. I'll keep this stuff in mind.
My guess is that you're just missing some tech. Figure out how she works and hit up practice mode and you will continue to improve.

hey dude, the thing about Cassie and you should try to keep in mind is, since the nerf they did to her hollywood variation with the f34, she cannot do a lot of damage mid screen, the thing she does right and makes a difference from all the cast is that nearly every string she has can lead to a run combo, and that damage begins to accumulate, mmmm, let me tell you that Cassie is a beast in the corner, she can do 40% damage easily and has good mixups, jajajaja, and yeah, you should try to learn running combos, but the more you practice, the easier it gets.

Now, in the topic of which variation.... in a sense you can use all of them depending on the match up, since all 3 variations have a somewhat similar gameplay (well, maybe spec ops is a little different). In hollywood you use resets to start a overhead or low with the kick abuse string (which is one of her best strings because it goes low overhead and can be special cancelled with getaway flip for a run combo), in brawler (my favorite( you have another overhead (the takedown special move) which can help you get more mixups, like for example, f33 is an overhead, low and mid, some people are now getting the hang of it, so with brawler you can go f3 and then immediately go bf3 for takedown, so in the end is a overhead overhead (quite sneaky for people who don't know it), she also has an air grab that turns out it helps a lot, especially if you meter burn and can do a combo. Spec Ops is used for zoners, can go overhead a low depending if you ex missile or not, personally I don't use it a lot unless I go against grandmaster sub zero or a Jax that only zones all the match.

lastly, one thing I should mention (and learned recently) are her pressure strings and how they work. It is important to understand that some of Cassie strings are safe on block, her 212 is 0 on block and that makes it safe, and normally her fastest move is 2, so use that string for pressure in the corner, however keep moderation because if you start only doing it they will armor through it or use a faster string. so in many cases after some 212 go into d3 to poke and make another safe string, 332 is also another safe string and can lead to poking also, alternate these 3 strings for keeping pressure and then go to a overhead or kick abuse low to have the chance to start a combo.

umm, I hope I didn't confuse you jajajaja, but hey, ask anything and I can give you tips, Cassie is a great character and my main, I love her options and mix ups and can become a pro character choice, she definitely is strong and worth learning, and of course........ THAT ASS, jajajajaja

GAV

Thought you guys would find this interesting - Here's who Cassie is based on...

Felice "Lil Bulldog" Herrig

Nicole Herrig is an American kickboxer, Muay Thai fighter, and mixed martial artist. Born in Buffalo Grove, Illinois, she began her career practicing kickboxing and Muay Thai before transitioning to MMA in 2009.

Weight: 115 lbs
Height: 5' 5
Nationality: American

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I always figured she was based on Ronda R. But.. shrug. Really you can insert just about any blond MMA chick.

You aren't doing anything wrong. I play Brawler myself (I just like the variation) and Cassie isn't a mid-screen damage monster. She's not meant to be. She's designed to start offense off of just about anything, and capitalize on mistakes. 212 is great for a punisher and it leads to like 31-33% mid-screen. Her corner combos are where your big damage comes in. She's fast and tricky. Opponents have to really know *how* to block her, or you can just run all over them, and turn anything they do thats unsafe into solid damage and decent corner carry for you. At least in my experience, most practical Cassie BnB's range from the mid 20's to low 30's unless you're in the corner, then they do all the damages forever. Im sure there are some super tight, execution god level stuff that leads to more, but your basic (Starter) x CARTWHEEL x RC x (String of your choice) x Ender, on Brawler, falls between 25% and about 33%, meterless midscreen.

Reactions: GAV
I wanna learn Cassie, how do you do low air hand gun like I've seen sonic fox doing. He does it as soon as he jumps.
I asked myself the exact same thing, but it looks like he does ub into f1, so its like diagonal backward followed by forward 1 to do it, but most be VERY fast, can´t get it but still practicing

ryuandken24

From the page of Cage!
Sorry for calling it underhead, back when I was like 8 I played shit tons of third strike and I remember somebody saying underhead. I just kind of got it implanted in my mind.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

I always figured she was based on Ronda R. But.. shrug. Really you can insert just about any blond MMA chick.

You aren't doing anything wrong. I play Brawler myself (I just like the variation) and Cassie isn't a mid-screen damage monster. She's not meant to be. She's designed to start offense off of just about anything, and capitalize on mistakes. 212 is great for a punisher and it leads to like 31-33% mid-screen. Her corner combos are where your big damage comes in. She's fast and tricky. Opponents have to really know *how* to block her, or you can just run all over them, and turn anything they do thats unsafe into solid damage and decent corner carry for you. At least in my experience, most practical Cassie BnB's range from the mid 20's to low 30's unless you're in the corner, then they do all the damages forever. Im sure there are some super tight, execution god level stuff that leads to more, but your basic (Starter) x CARTWHEEL x RC x (String of your choice) x Ender, on Brawler, falls between 25% and about 33%, meterless midscreen.

sars

Noob
This is my first fighting game ever so I am no pro but for the run combos you need to practice. I probably practiced for about 8 hours before I could do it constantly. I also started off with small combos. 21 to 25 percent midscreen and 25 to 29 percent in the corner. After a couple weeks I looked at the combo thread and added a little bit more damage each time. I didn't add them until I could do the other ones consistantly. Now I can get between 36 and 40 percent in the corner. It took over 2000 games online and a lot of practicing but I got there. I would also rather hit a 29 percent combo 95 percent of the time then drop a huge combo 90 percent of the time. I'm still no pro but Im def a lot more confident now then I ever was.