What's new

Capcom Cup Live (on going TYM Discussion)

trufenix

bye felicia
What I mean by random is players who you know are weaker than others, no matter how strong compared to the public, making constant upsets e.g you know nuckledu is weaker than daigo, even if hes a great player and earned his way into capcom cup.
The guys in CC got there by being the most consistent within the microcosm of their region. Nobody "random" qualified. You could make an argument for a few more players from a given region or a couple more qualifying events along the way but would you really want the NRS cup to just exclude you or whoever else from EU simply because your scene doesn't have as many killers or events as the US or Brazil? I mean, you're pretty confident that you can stack up to most US players, right? Do you think its justified you're irrelevant or just some random player because you don't play at WNF or Next Level?

The simple answer is just make the tourney bigger, but they are still working the bugs out even at 16. That said, I don't think anyone can view this as anything other than a success. A ton of money for the players, some very high quality matches with lots of nail biter endings, and a totally free stream with minimal commercial nonsense. I will personally take just about any opportunity to rag on Capcom, but really this was just a win win (win) scenario all around.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
The guys in CC got there by being the most consistent within the microcosm of their region. Nobody "random" qualified. You could make an argument for a few more players from a given region or a couple more qualifying events along the way but would you really want the NRS cup to just exclude you or whoever else from EU simply because your scene doesn't have as many killers or events as the US or Brazil? I mean, you're pretty confident that you can stack up to most US players, right? Do you think its justified you're irrelevant or just some random player because you don't play at WNF or Next Level?

The simple answer is just make the tourney bigger, but they are still working the bugs out even at 16. That said, I don't think anyone can view this as anything other than a success. A ton of money for the players, some very high quality matches with lots of nail biter endings, and a totally free stream with minimal commercial nonsense. I will personally take just about any opportunity to rag on Capcom, but really this was just a win win (win) scenario all around.
You misunderstood my post. I'm saying that while people were deserving of their capcom cup entry, the upsets were overwhelming and results ended up being kind of random and not representatitve of true skill and I gave the example of nuckledu outplacing daigo when the former is clearly a much better player or snake eyes finishing last.

trufenix

bye felicia
You misunderstood my post. I'm saying that while people were deserving of their capcom cup entry, the upsets were overwhelming and results ended up being kind of random and not representatitve of true skill and I gave the example of nuckledu outplacing daigo when the former is clearly a much better player or snake eyes finishing last.
Well, for starters, Du didn't outplace Daigo. They both finished ninth. Second, there's nothing random about it. Du also outplaced Daigo at Evo. And Daigo lost in much the same ways he did at EVO, a Dhalsim counter pick, and a well known US player. Lastly, whats random about Snake Eyes losing to Bonchan and Momochi? Who should've gone out first round instead of him? CHu went out, Nish went out, PR Balrog went down to his own teammate. Are PR Balrog's results random as well? Did he not deserve to send Daigo home?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Daigo has been incredibly inconsistent for the last couple years.. When he plays well, he plays really well; but when he doesn't he's human. He can win a tournament and then place 17th at the next and no one will bat an eye.

There are probably better examples, but NuckleDu outplacing Daigo at a tournament isn't a surprise at all -- it mostly just depends on the bracket.

Daigo has been incredibly inconsistent for the last couple years.. When he plays well, he plays really well; but when he doesn't he's human. He can win a tournament and then place 17th at the next and no one will bat an eye.

There are probably better examples, but NuckleDu outplacing Daigo at a tournament isn't a surprise at all -- it mostly just depends on the bracket.
He hasn't been inconsistent at evo (5 straight top 8s before this year) and he won the topanga world league and A league. Overall he has got top 8 a lot more than he hasn't. I would say he isn't winning as many events, so that could be said to he inconsistent for someone of his lvl; however, that isn't a surprise with how the tournaments for SF4 all time have went.

I honestly wanted to see more matches. The live band and tablet dj (LOL) was just poop.
Edit: Even the Daigo/ Madcatz promo was better than this

Last edited: