What's new

Cancelling into MB Breath

Seretar

Noob
Hello folks!

I'm slowly improving my (pitiful) skills with Superman, and I'm having real trouble cancelling into MB Breath from just about anything. I can cancel into the other moves just fine(including the other db moves like heat zap) but for some reason MB Breath eludes me. Any general tips on how to get this one to come out?

Thanks much!

Beck__

Old English Fighter
You input the special (DB2) straight after the other inputs. Practise getting breath to come out first. Once you have that you can add the mb, easiest way to do it is to spam mb button after the DB2 input is complete, comes out every time.

Vagrant

Noob
You have to hit the mb trigger late during the breath. It's a weird timing. I had to practice it for a few hours before getting it every time

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
the most difficult stuff I find with sups is the cancelling into trait in the corner. Hard stuff.

Drumslinger

XBL: drumgeek77
The MB timing is different depending on what you're cancelling into it from. For the F2 xx MB Breath I use the MB at the same time I dial in the breath. At the end of a 22 I have to wait until the animation starts.

Beck__

Old English Fighter
like I said if you start hitting the mb button as soon as you complete the DB2 motion, it will come out every time, No need to time it.

Cancelling into trait from 3 for example is simple, just hit trait straight after 3 (no pauses). But then you need to have a slight pause before hitting next attack, as you need to wait for recovery of trait.. then hit 3 xx mb breath. I struggled with this for awhile as I only play online, but once you get it, theres no going back.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
So for example, if I do F2,3, F2, 3 into MB breath: I can enter DB 2 wayyyy before the breath comes out and can just spam MB til the move actually happens?

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Oh ya? I usually have to wait until I input and see the start of the animation....I thought that allowed you to choose/confirm whether you wanted to MB or not..if I input too soon, reg breath comes out and I get salty cuz I dropped the combo, lol ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Beck__

Old English Fighter
So for example, if I do F2,3, F2, 3 into MB breath: I can enter DB 2 wayyyy before the breath comes out and can just spam MB til the move actually happens?
exactly, but remember each section is a mini combo, so in your example, input F23, then input F23 xx DB2, then spam MB button.. the breath will come out and be MBed as long you are spamming button. This is because you will press it during the window of MB possibility, i.e. if you were timing it, you would input F23 xx DB2, you would then wait for the animations to play out, as soon as you see breath animation start, you would hit MB. Spamming eliminates the timing issue, which is especially useful online.

I used to sometimes not get the MB breath on the big corner BnBs, as I was trying to time it.. since I started spamming MB, I never miss it.

Some other small tips whilst I'm here, things I notice others having issues with now and again..
Clash = you can just hold F + MB whilst being combod, it will clash at earliest opportunity.
MB interactable = Hold MB, then hit object button.
MB + F3/B3 = Hold MB, then do B3/F3, let go of MB button to stop charge.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Most of the time you are going to b3 after a MB breath anyways so there is really no reason not to mash it after inputting the command.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Most of the time you are going to b3 after a MB breath anyways so there is really no reason not to mash it after inputting the command.
This. I think the only other time I mash b3 is during batman combos online cuz the timing is diff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Beck__

Old English Fighter
Yeah, should always spam mb to get mb breath, as always enough time to keep going. Also defo spam b3 after the freeze to guarantee the combo.

ridianfable

Of the Badlands
Soo....am i missing something or does everyone not just hold MB button while inputing the special instead of spamming it? If that's like some hidden tech that dudes were saving for nationals my bad!

Beck__

Old English Fighter
Soo....am i missing something or does everyone not just hold MB button while inputing the special instead of spamming it? If that's like some hidden tech that dudes were saving for nationals my bad!
doh, I never thought of just holding MB! Thanks.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
for me, holding it down doesnt work, because if you mistime it then you are still gonna just blow hot air, and not Mr Freezy breath. mashing it, if you are having trouble with the timing, seems to be the easiest way.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
I had the problem, not sure if my problem is the same as yours but, you need to do everything separately.

For example, F2, is just forward+2, then super breath is down back+2, and then meterburn.

You can't do it all at the same time. You need to do it fast, but separate. My problem was that I was doing the meterburn at the same time. No, you have to meterburn AFTER doing the super breath input every time.

So you have to do:

F2
Db2
Meterburn

In quick succession.

ridianfable

Of the Badlands
Yep, I tried holding mb, doesn't work. That guy sounded so confident too! Ahh well spamming mb isnt too bad to guarantee it.
haha it works for me! I haven't dropped MB since i started holding. Maybe there is a bit of timing to it?

Beck__

Old English Fighter
haha it works for me! I haven't dropped MB since i started holding. Maybe there is a bit of timing to it?
It sounds like you are just hitting the mb button at the right time. Holding it won't do anything as it only registers on initial press.

Seretar

Noob
I kinda wish holdng it worked because it's really pissing me off online. I already struggle getting the breath to come out without meter, and having to mash the fricking trigger makes me all stressed out!

Alternatively, I just suck at the game ;).

I've been having the same issue for a week, the only thing that seems to work for me is to wait for the animation and then hit MB as it starts. I was trying to buffer it all, using the same timing/immediate press I used just throwing MB breath alone (which I get every time). Also got a false alarm on the "hold it" method over at gamefaqs. And mashing doesn't seem to work that well for me either... but I'm a pad player and have burn mapped to R1, so maybe I'm just not able to mash fast enough? Are all the people mashing it out playing on stick?

If supes really is the "easiest" character, I'm terrified to learn try to learn the timing on anyone else! I've only really focused on him so far, at least learning deeply. Obviously sky lasers are noob friendly, and he probably has the shortest list of combos to learn, but I can't imagine every character's goto damage dealing special being this difficult? Is the timing on all or most of the other characters as hard as supes MB Ice?

Seretar

Noob
I've just moved on to learning Batman (and trust me I'm not a good fighting game player) and one thing I'm finding is that there are far fewer places in his combos when you have to cancel into a special from normals. So it's mostly learning how to connect a lot of normal strings after opening with a MB Grapple. And that I think is actually quite a bit easier. I can already do longer combos with Batman than I can with Superman (although I imagine practicing Supes has helped me learn some general coordination).

Beck__

Old English Fighter
I've been having the same issue for a week, the only thing that seems to work for me is to wait for the animation and then hit MB as it starts. I was trying to buffer it all, using the same timing/immediate press I used just throwing MB breath alone (which I get every time). Also got a false alarm on the "hold it" method over at gamefaqs. And mashing doesn't seem to work that well for me either... but I'm a pad player and have burn mapped to R1, so maybe I'm just not able to mash fast enough? Are all the people mashing it out playing on stick?

If supes really is the "easiest" character, I'm terrified to learn try to learn the timing on anyone else! I've only really focused on him so far, at least learning deeply. Obviously sky lasers are noob friendly, and he probably has the shortest list of combos to learn, but I can't imagine every character's goto damage dealing special being this difficult? Is the timing on all or most of the other characters as hard as supes MB Ice?
I use PS3 pad, default controls so MB is R2. I wouldn't say I mash the R2 that quickly, I just do the DB2 then start hitting R2, works every time.

Just make sure you don't start mashing until after the DB2 motion is done. If you can get breath to come out every time, the MB shouldn't be an issue.