What's new

Cancelling from dash into attack in IGUA

I've read elsewhere that you can't cancel from a dash into an attack. Has anyone independently verified this?

Dash~[punishing attack] and Dash~[combo extending attack] are crucial features of both MK9 and UMvC3. Why would NRS change the formula? More importantly, how would they change it without ruining the flow of the game?

I'm misinformed, one way or the other.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
From what I've seen, combo game is pretty limited in this game. You need to burn meter to do a wall bounce, or be lucky and have an interactable thing next to you.

Take a look at green lantern gameplay vs aquaman. His ermac life force move slams them to the ground. Which leaves us with: string-> life force

That's a terribly short combo. In order to make it longer you need to:
string->ex life force->string->wall bounce and so on.

Makes the game more meter intensive, so dashing isn't as necessary. Though I did notice that Green Arrow could dash and fire an arrow, provided he had charged it up beforehand.

I'm guessing its their overall strategy. Game seems to be very damage intesnive. It is a guaranteed 2 life bars, while MK9 could range from 2-3 and felt slower.

BrokenAngels00

Longtime Lurker
If this is the case, getting that meter from First Hit is going to be a huge advantage, assuming that it's in the game.

Playpal

Warrior
Means you have to be smarter with your spacing to me. I accept this challenge of new ground.
It'll be harder to whiff punish with this new dash system. I wouldn't be surprised if early on people whiff pokes and strings with no regard for whiff punishing. That's speculative though. We can't make any conclusions until the game comes out.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
It'll be harder to whiff punish with this new dash system. I wouldn't be surprised if early on people whiff pokes and strings with no regard for whiff punishing. That's speculative though. We can't make any conclusions until the game comes out.
It's a welcomed difficulty and will only serve to make us better in the long run.

BrokenAngels00

Longtime Lurker
Whiffed strings can be countered with projectiles, no doubt.
Or if you're playing someone like Bane, his dash.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Yes but at the same time it may give people with poor spacing a crutch. The new dash system doesn't actually promote better fundamentals. Just different ones.
Learning new/different fundamentals still makes us better players. ;)

This is the only thing about IGUA that I'm skeptical about. (Especially now that I know this same mechanic is in SF--IMO SF games are altogether not fun; the opposite of fun and entertaining.)

Dash~[attack] is so intuitive. Anything otherwise is not intuitive and is thus unfriendly to casual players.

Death

Warrior
It's a welcomed difficulty and will only serve to make us better in the long run.
I dont really agree with this. Whiff punishing is a huge deal when it comes to spacing and footsies. Players with bad spacing will get exposed by getting their shit whiffed all the time. Why help those players out? People with good spacing should get rewarded

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
This is the only thing about IGUA that I'm skeptical about. (Especially now that I know this same mechanic is in SF--IMO SF games are altogether not fun; the opposite of fun and entertaining.)

Dash~[attack] is so intuitive. Anything otherwise is not intuitive and is thus unfriendly to casual players.
What you are completely missing though is that in MK9 there were no mid range/long range pokes that recovered quickly. Everything in MK9 recovered super slow so whiffing anything literally almost will kill you.

In SF games there are pokes that recover quickly from mid/long range'ish. This is how footsies work in these games where there aren't dash cancellables. It won't bring down the pace of the game it will definitely be more footsies based. In my opinion though this game is alot more similar to a mix of SF+Tekken than MK9. SF in terms of footsies and Tekken in terms of how up close pressure will work.

I dont really agree with this. Whiff punishing is a huge deal when it comes to spacing and footsies. Players with bad spacing will get exposed by getting their shit whiffed all the time. Why help those players out? People with good spacing should get rewarded
Because stuff recovers quicker than MK9 people will be able to whiff a little more often, but just because of that doesn't mean good spacing won't be rewarded. Street Fighter games are literally 1000% spacing. It's like Spacing: The Game.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Pretty much every character can blow up shitty spacing, especially since most of them have either a projectile or a fast advancing move. It's still based on spacing.

Critical-Limit

Apprentice
I don't see how taking out dashing into attacks makes you a better whiff punisher. It just means your spacing needs to be more hair-thin. If anything it'll make whiff punishing more difficult.

You guys are crazy if you think spacing in this game is gonna get worse.

AS someone said earlier. I don't think it's worse or better. It's just different.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
AS someone said earlier. I don't think it's worse or better. It's just different.
Yea basically that's what I was trying to get at.

The way it'll work at the highest level is that you will sway in and out of the distance just outside of your opponent's farthest poke (or poke they are likely to use) then when they whiff it to go in and do a move that could punish them hard.

Pretty much every character can blow up shitty spacing, especially since most of them have either a projectile or a fast advancing move. It's still based on spacing.
I wouldn't call whiff-punishing with a projectile "blowing someone up". SF players might call it as such, but SF is antiquated and not fun compared to its competition in the FG market. We blow opponents up by dashing forward--if necessary--and full-combo punishing in MK9 or UMvC3, why shouldn't we be able to do the same in this game?

We are talking about a 2d fighting game; spacing is implicit is EVERY fighting game. The only question is whether or not movement is intuitive to the user.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I wouldn't call whiff-punishing with a projectile "blowing someone up". SF players might call it as such, but SF is antiquated and not fun compared to its competition in the FG market. We blow opponents up by dashing forward--if necessary--and full-combo punishing in MK9 or UMvC3, why shouldn't we be able to do the same in this game?

We are talking about a 2d fighting game; spacing is implicit is EVERY fighting game. The only question is whether or not movement is intuitive to the user.
It's kind of obvious this game is more complex than "herpdashforwardcombo" and not to mention there are a lot of normals with good reach. Furthermore, back-dashes have invincibility frames so that's another element of spacing to focus on.

Pretty sure pokes link into things too.

It's kind of obvious this game is more complex than "herpdashforwardcombo" and not to mention there are a lot of normals with good reach. Furthermore, back-dashes have invincibility frames so that's another element of spacing to focus on.

Pretty sure pokes link into things too.
Understood. There will no doubt be complex meta-game in IGUA; I'm not writing it off over this. Seems to me though that if IGUA plans to be the gold standard for 2d fighting games, users should be able to cancel dashes with attacks.

/two-cents