What's new

Cancel into X?

Monitor2112

Paitent Padawan
It's that time again. Time for me to show my ignorance. Be gentle, once again please? :)

I've been reading several threads talking about combos or generally playing the game and I keep running into the phrase cancel into or cancel out of, etc.

How does one cancel in those scenarios that call for it? Is it as simple as not inputting the next step in a string and starting a new string or is there more to it than that? i.e. 113>411>221 changing to 11(stop)>221>etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. It is appreciated.

Monitor

Moved to "Gameplay Topics" sub-forum.

Monitor2112
An example of "cancelling" is into a special move. Say you have a string command of 1,1,3, you can cancel the string into a special move, in a rough/smooth string-to-special input transition. Like so: 1,1xxSpecial.

Certain strings in the game can be finished and still be cancelled into a special, some strings cannot be cancelled out of, and some cancelled strings won't guarantee a special connecting.

LockM

Noob
So is there anyway to find out which ones work and which don't? Or it's just arbitrary?
Unless there is a nice overview which single attacks and which attacks in strings can be cancelled out of you are out of luck an have to try them out yourself. Haven't seen the Injustice guide but maybe it is mentioned in there.

Canceling refers to cutting short one animation in favor of another. (Its often notated with 'xx' or '~')

Canceling out of normals attacks (eg 1, 1, 1) and into special attacks (eg db2) is generally not arbitrary. Any given normal attack either can or cannot be canceled out of by a special attack. Likewise, any given special attack either can or cannot be canceled into from a normal attack. If you have a cancelable normal and a cancelable special, yet they don't seem to work together, an input error is afoot.

Most often noobs are confused by when to input the commands relative to what his or her character is doing onscreen. This isn't easy to figure out at first, especially for folks without rhythm and dexterity. As a general rule you should input all the the commands back to back to back, as one continuous string of inputs. Cadence will vary from player to player and character to character; nevertheless timing is a critical factor.

Hope that made sense. Hit me with more questions if you have them. I'll do my best to answer or tag someone who knows better.

Monitor2112

Paitent Padawan
Canceling refers to cutting short one animation in favor of another. (Its often notated with 'xx' or '~')

Canceling out of normals attacks (eg 1, 1, 1) and into special attacks (eg db2) is generally not arbitrary. Any given normal attack either can or cannot be canceled out of by a special attack. Likewise, any given special attack either can or cannot be canceled into from a normal attack. If you have a cancelable normal and a cancelable special, yet they don't seem to work together, an input error is afoot.

Most often noobs are confused by when to input the commands relative to what his or her character is doing onscreen. This isn't easy to figure out at first, especially for folks without rhythm and dexterity. As a general rule you should input all the the commands back to back to back, as one continuous string of inputs. Cadence will vary from player to player and character to character; nevertheless timing is a critical factor.

Hope that made sense. Hit me with more questions if you have them. I'll do my best to answer or tag someone who knows better.
Thanks. That makes sense. I think the hardest part I am facing is the inputting what I want it to do three or four moves ahead.

I am used playing like this:
Put in command
Watch it happen
Put in the next command.

I can see where rhythm can be important to that. Things are starting to make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk