What's new

Question - Bo' Rai Cho Can we talk about how to handle BRC's Neutral?

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
We all know that Bo does damage in the corner, and that he has sweet ass combos. I think we need to talk about the weakest element of his game and how to approach it. I'm playing drunken master mostly right now, i feel like one day I will break down and take up dragons breath, but in general how do you handle the neutral game? what are your favorite pokes? mixups? meaties? setups? how to deal with certain kinds of matchups/playstyles?

TamedLizard

Buff George
I despise DM so I don't play it, but both Bart and DB have similar tactics. It's ALL about corner push. As we know, that's where Bo's magic thrives.

D4, F1, D1, 11, F1, farts, DB3 are essentials, with mixup options in S3~DB3 (true 50/50), S2~DB3, 24~DB3, and 41~DB3 (although used more sparingly due to odd hitbox and the gap).

Bart specifically can REALLY make the mixup game hell for anyone because you can go for a low with DF3 instead of DB3 with any of the aforementioned mixups. Just be weary of the gap. B1~DB3 is also fantastic and exclusive to Bart only.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Anti-air fart and start match with fart....

Works everytime.

when I first started with bo, i was really suprised at how effective the fart was against jumpins.

i have been doing alot of f1 fart run f1 fart for pressure.

I have found d4 into bellybump has served me pretty well as an opener.

roll into fart, roll into sumo stomp, roll into grab, and roll into headbutt all work very well for me. Headbutt is really really usefull to me.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Outside of learning REO's crazy Dragon Breath setups, I feel like his staff variation is the most applicable in most matchups.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
barts d2 is also really good.

I think db1 in dragons breath is super important to his gameplan, it makes alot of his stuff safe, and its convertable into d4 bellybump midscreen and into f1 fart in the corner. i have a hard time justifying df2 though. It's a good anti air, but aside from that its just this weird, short range, medium damage, high special that isnt as good as db1.

dm's meditation is super critical to dm's gameplan. it adds mixups to his strings, it has 2 launchers, its fully invincible till you hit the ground if you meter burn it, i just wish roll didn't consume stamina, and that you could drink during it.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Puke more
this is actually pretty good advice, I use it as an anti air and to check people with good reaching mids. Its not fully safe but its hard to punish at max range. this is the main reason I want puke to reset the timer. That way you could maintain the drunken state alot longer without doing something super unsafe and unthreatening like drinking. With the way it is now I have like 4 seconds to land a fart combo, and like 6 seconds to land a hkd or bump and dump in order to drink relatively safely. also expuke should be full screen in all drink levels. Maybe just lvl 3 puke can reset the timer, that would give a better reason to ramp all the way up rather than to try and stay at lvl 1 or two which are arguably more useful.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
Bo is so slept on its not even funny.

just remember i knew he wasn't bottom tier.
I don't think he has ever been not bottom tier. His nerfs really didn't hurt his gameplan that much, I was just pissed that they nerfed the worst character in the game for like no damn reason. It's not like he was sweeping tourneys or racking up a disproportionate amount of ranked wins or anything. To clarify, I believe that he is bottom tier, but he isn't trash, his toolset is just weaker than everyone elses.

He is like 2 buffs from being top 10, especially dm.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
I don't think he has ever been not bottom tier. His nerfs really didn't hurt his gameplan that much, I was just pissed that they nerfed the worst character in the game for like no damn reason. It's not like he was sweeping tourneys or racking up a disproportionate amount of ranked wins or anything. To clarify, I believe that he is bottom tier, but he isn't trash, his toolset is just weaker than everyone elses.

He is like 2 buffs from being top 10, especially dm.
he is nowhere near bottom tier.

he is either top or high mid until matchups are grinded

he really only struggles against zoning, and well so does Cassie Brawler but she isn't bottom tier.

he has great mixups, great normals, unblockables, tick throws, restands, and a fart vortex.

those are not the tools of a bottom tier character.

if you end combos in Fart that makes them guess oh or low if you time it correctly. or you can tick throw them, or set unblockablke that they have to read.

his frames are somewhat slow, but so are aliens and many others.

give him time.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
he is nowhere near bottom tier.

he is either top or high mid until matchups are grinded

he really only struggles against zoning, and well so does Cassie Brawler but she isn't bottom tier.

he has great mixups, great normals, unblockables, tick throws, restands, and a fart vortex.

those are not the tools of a bottom tier character.

if you end combos in Fart that makes them guess oh or low if you time it correctly. or you can tick throw them, or set unblockablke that they have to read.

his frames are somewhat slow, but so are aliens and many others.

give him time.
While I do agree that Bo Rai Cho has an incredible amount of untapped potential, you can't deny that he struggles immensely when out outside of his footsie range. In Bartitsu and, he only has his unblockable for a ranged attack, which I believe starts up in 31 frames and is very minus on whiff. Combine that with his terrible run and forward dash and you'll have yourself a jolly good time full screen.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
While I do agree that Bo Rai Cho has an incredible amount of untapped potential, you can't deny that he struggles immensely when out outside of his footsie range. In Bartitsu and, he only has his unblockable for a ranged attack, which I believe starts up in 31 frames and is very minus on whiff. Combine that with his terrible run and forward dash and you'll have yourself a jolly good time full screen.
you can say that about most characters, like Brawler or Cyrax or name one.

anyone who wiffs is gonna be negative and get punished.

but honestly his: Run is about Mid tier in the rosters run speeds.
its decent.
and Bartitsu has mad range in that variation. you only have to run half screen then open them up

he struggles to get in, but when he gets in its GG vortex city into tick throws that do 20% plus

thlityoursloat

kick kick
"Great normals" what.
Tell me how an 8f mid that has less range than Jacqui's s1 , 24f mid and highs highs highs for days are good normals. Yes, BarTITsu has excellent range but it really more often than not doesn't matter when you can very easily escape that range and zone him out.
He's not being slept on, BRC mains are aware of how dirty this character can potentially be.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
you can say that about most characters, like Brawler or Cyrax or name one.

anyone who wiffs is gonna be negative and get punished.

but honestly his: Run is about Mid tier in the rosters run speeds.
its decent.
and Bartitsu has mad range in that variation. you only have to run half screen then open them up

he struggles to get in, but when he gets in its GG vortex city into tick throws that do 20% plus
Bo Rai Cho is a theory and lab monster, he has all this stuff in his move list that is really good on paper. However, I'd advise you to play a bunch of matches with Bartitsu and see how things work out. I was awfully surprised about how not well things turned out.