What's new

Can we get a character guide?

Raph

Noob
A couple of years back a few players got together on gamefaqs and created a very helpful character guide for Mortal Kombat 9 that they posted up on Google Docs. (Unfortunately the guide has since been taken down). I'm hoping the more experienced players here might be kind enough to put a similar guide together for Mortal Kombat X. In Mortal Kombat 9 the character guide helped a lot, especially for new players, or players just wanting to learn a new character, or players wanting to improve their skills. A lot of people, (myself included), would really appreciate it if the more knowledgeable people could find the time to put a character guide together. This would also help a lot of people who are no longer used to the game due to the massive changes made by all the patches. Here is a rough idea of what the guide should include for every character:

-Introduction to the character
-Description of each variation, and what each variation is meant for
-Strengths
-Weaknesses
-Special moves
-X-Ray
-Secret Technique (I'm not sure if MKX has this)
-Beginner Combos
-Basic Combos
-Mix-Up Combos
-Specialty Combos
-Reset
-Vortex
-BnB (Bread n Butter) Combos
-Advanced Combos
-Enhanced Combos
-X-Ray Combos
-Best Combo Strings and Normals
-Playing as [insert character name/variation here]
-Preferred Game Plan
-Fighting Against [insert character name/variation here]
-Fatalities
-Brutalities
-Frame Data
-Character/Variation Game Play Style (can be more than one, and includes: Counter, Rushdown, Mix-Up, Juggle, Zoning, Balanced, Turtling)

Pretty much something like that. If I've missed anything please feel free to add. I know it's a lot to ask, but if we could get a character guide like this going, either on these forums or on Google Docs or even gamefaqs then it would most certainly benefit a lot of players. I think the biggest hurdle for a lot of new players is the variation system. Unfortunately the game does nothing to inform the player what each variation is meant for. So for example, a player that uses an aggressive play style might unknowingly choose a variation that is focused on defense, and then not understand why they aren't having fun or why they are struggling. A clear description of each variation would definitely help a lot.

Last edited:
I will do a guide:
Cryomancer: for masochist people who wants to lose. Otherwise do like Me and pick it only for casual play. I recommend You to pick Scorpion instead.

Cryomancer "buffs" put in just in a category higher than Lackey Ferra/thor (Personal opionion of a Day one Cryo main).

His real game is around pokes and trusting that people wont jump back or backdash after block.

His only real mixup needs meter to people avoid to do that (ex iceball or ex ice burst),and if they read that You are screwed. so, He's High risk for a broken Mid reward( Needs more nerf).
f1+2 is His best string because 2 has no hurtbox and covers midscreen.(26 frame telegraphed string is OP).
His d2 is the slowest in the game. (One of his best tools LMAO).
His command grab does less damage than other command grabs meterless, just 1% more than normal grab. On a side note It works like meterburn throw if not canceled. Leading to a ghetto reset.

The biggest buff he got was his damage nerf to the Hammer and Ex Hammer, because those were OP to begin with.

Now seriously:
BNBS:
Jedi master A.K.A not even Sonic Fox will do these combos to an opponent:
Note: (Starting combos with b3+3, s4,f4 does 5% less damage, hurray.
1+1+1 could be replaced with b1+2).
f1+2+2--b2(Side switch LMAO)--f1+2+2--b1+2+polar punture+ice hammer =36%
f1+2+2--b2(Side switch LMAO)--f1+2+2--b1+2+polar punture+ex ice hammer--b1+2+polar punture+ice hammer=40% OMG BROKEN plz moar nerf.
f1+2+2--b1+2--d1--b1+2+polar punture+ice hammer =33%
f1+2+2--b2+2--d1--b1+2+polar punture+ex ice hammer--b1+2+polar punture+ice hammer=37% Still op needs nerf.
Normal combos midscreen
jip--1+1+1+ice ball--jip--f1+2+2--f1+2+2--b1+2+polar puncture+icehammer = 34% OMG the same damage midscreen as erron black, nerf moar.
jip--1+1+1+ice ball--jip--f1+2+2--f1+2+2--b1+2+polar puncture+ex icehammer--b1+2+polar puncture+ice hammer = 37% still broken.
corner combos
Jedi master
jip--b2--b2--f1+2+2--1+1+1+polar puncture+icehammer =40% OMG broken
Jedi master supreme one bar:
jip--b2--b2--f1+2+2--1+1+1+polar puncture+ex iceball--njp--b1+2+polar puncture+ice hammer =44% OMG ampossible, must nerf.
Realistic combo:
jip--b2--b2--d1--d1--d1--1+1+1+polar puncture+ice hammer =38% OP plz nerf
jip--b2--b2--d1--d1--d1--1+1+1+polar puncture+ex ice ball--njp--b1+2+polar puncture+ice hammer =42% brokest combo ever.
Dark vader2 bars combo
jip--b2--b2--b1+2+ex polar puncture--b1+2+ex polar puncture--b1+2+polar punture+ ice hammer = 46%.
misc corner
1+2+3+polar puncture+ ice hammer = 20%
That's it. I Hope You get to win the next tourney with this OP character. Enjoy the miniguide. Because I have two months that I don't use the char. again,I recommend You to pick Scorpion instead. I did just that.

Last edited: