What's new

Calling All Technical Experts on TYM

I do hope you're joking.
NO! If you can not get any better than 1 down than satellite is an option. Why not? I know the cons, but you can at least play. With 1mgb that makes you internet unplayable I had to deal with it before. I found a better provider, but if that is not an option, what would you suggest? Over!

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
da hell is up with US's Download to upload ratio :confused:

my companies second lowest plan has 40 mbps download and 2 upload. I see Blake here with like 9 download and 4 upload :0 Just find that crazy lol.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
da hell is up with US's Download to upload ratio :confused:

my companies second lowest plan has 40 mbps download and 2 upload. I see Blake here with like 9 download and 4 upload :0 Just find that crazy lol.
Thats above average even. In my State we have some of the fastest internet you can easily purchase and it is like 25down 10up. There is the google fiber on a few towns which is stupidly fast but its only probably a few thousand people that can even get it.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Thats above average even. In my State we have some of the fastest internet you can easily purchase and it is like 25down 10up. There is the google fiber on a few towns which is stupidly fast but its only probably a few thousand people that can even get it.
Yeah i've been hearing Google fiber is amazing. Hope it continues to grow quickly :)

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
i wouldn't recommend having the router in DMZ all the time. There are security exploits. If upnp is not an option then port forward by all means.
You don't put the router in DMZ, you put a single IP/Console in it. This is the easy option if you're not comfortable with port forwarding.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
NO! If you can not get any better than 1 down than satellite is an option. Why not? I know the cons, but you can at least play. With 1mgb that makes you internet unplayable I had to deal with it before. I found a better provider, but if that is not an option, what would you suggest? Over!
1 down with standard dsl will likely be better than anything satellite can provide for gaming. You may get much better bandwidth but the pings will be horrendous. Pings of 500ms are considered 'good'.

1 down with standard dsl will likely be better than anything satellite can provide for gaming. You may get much better bandwidth but the pings will be horrendous. Pings of 500ms are considered 'good'.
O.k. well thanx for the insight. Now I know and I was just trying to be helpful! Over!

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
O.k. well thanx for the insight. Now I know and I was just trying to be helpful! Over!
No harm in that and sorry I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, I'm just trying to be real. With satellites around 25'000 miles away its never going to be a great experience.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Better, but damn I hate asymmetrical speeds. You only have two more Mb of upload

Edit: also try hitting servers in others states with speed tests, like la, Chicago, Philly, etc.
My upload's gone up to between like 7 and 8 now after more speed tests. But yes, while it may not be much more, it obviously was enough to maintain streams with a better success rate than before. So far, so good.

aj1701

Noob
My upload's gone up to between like 7 and 8 now after more speed tests. But yes, while it may not be much more, it obviously was enough to maintain streams with a better success rate than before. So far, so good.
Oh its certainly an improvement, but I'd be ideal especially for streaming if you had 16 up too. I think fios is better about being symmetrical.