What's new

General/Other - Tempest Buzzsaw vs tempest.

Carl

Noob
Well as a buzzsaw and tempest main it is difficult to say which is better.

I use bother variations for different reasons as if im playing a grandmaster then i go buzzsaw whereas if i play someone like master of souls id go tempest.

Its very difficult to say which one is better because dont forget in buzzsaw if someone jumps over your low hat then you have to wait until it comes back on your head and in that time frame you are screwed.

I personally would love to use buzzsaw all the time but because of the hats go missing when someone jumps it hurts his zoning alot.

Captain l2ed

White wolf
I personally like buzzsaw pkaystyle better as well because it reminds me of mk9 lao but I find myself using tempest just because of ex spin. May have to swap back.

Meep8345

Noob
I think buzz saw is his best now. It fixes his issues of opening people up in tempest and improves his neutral with the low hat.

XxDark_

Noob
Why do you say that? What makes tempest more scary than Buzzsaw?
Tempest is just a lot more solid for me to handle most mu's. playing buzz saw you will find yourself working a lot harder to close out the game. I strictly play buzz saw against grandmaster sub zero though. I feel like it does so much better than tempest.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Tempest is just a lot more solid for me to handle most mu's. playing buzz saw you will find yourself working a lot harder to close out the game. I strictly play buzz saw against grandmaster sub zero though. I feel like it does so much better than tempest.
I think you're definitely right. I feel like Buzzsaw is even and Sub beats Tempest. Imo of course.

myri

Time Warrior
Tempest ex spin is better, hat spin helps with his pressure game a lot, not as meter dependent for midscreen damage as buzzsaw.

That being said I don't play buzzsaw (only variation I like is tempest but I've experimented) but as far as I can tell the only reason to play it is the low hat and slighly better zoning which helps with certain matchups I guess.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Just worth noting, Hat Trick actually does decent against Grandmaster too, probably another 5-5 but definitely nothing worse than 4-6, ExHatToss going through clone is a godsend in that MU and punishes a lot of unsafe clone cancels.
Yeah. A good Sub usually won't do an unsafe Klone cancel, especially against characters like Lao. I haven't played a good hat trick so I'll take your word for it lol.

TheGoldenJew

PSN: The_Golden_Jew1
My rationale for playing tempest is simply damage tbh...u can play buzzsaw and it may take the whole alloted time to close a round. In tempest, u catch ur opponent with 3 ex spins and its ggs

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Tempest is better for multiple reasons:

Against most of the cast, a lot of them don't have an answer for Kung Lao putting up his hat spin and just running at them, of course, the universal answer is letting the Kung Lao player run in, have the hat block, and then his only option is staggering or a throw, but in a lot of MU's, this is something the Kung Lao Tempest player can do at will, after throws, at full screen, or after every 21 knockdown, if you can do this in any MU, use Tempest.

Having a pressure tool like MB Orbiting hat allows for better offence, and by offence, I mean staggering and throwing, and with throws that is where most of your damage will be made up, and by throwing your opponent a lot, they start to let go of the block button way easier.

But nothing in any variation beats his Hat spin armour breaking in the corner, this is something no other variation has with this amount of safety. Hat Trick can armour break in the corner but it doesn't work vs the entire cast like tempest.

Buzzsaw is still a decent variation, but the lack of damage and the fact that conversions from B3 are meter dependant, that really hurts the variation, considering you can do some cool knockdown set ups with MB low hat, you will find yourself meter starved in order to do these in a match. Considering you have to juggle MB spins, breakers, and B3 conversions, it can be difficult to prioritise with MB Low hat set ups.

Buzzsaw does have its place vs characters that make him duck and walk in the neutral, his straight and low hats can contest this, but you have to deal with low damage and you need to be on point with low hats point blank into jailing standing 1's, you can also get a lot of throws after the low hat on hit, but the opponent can always mash armour.

But for almost all matches, Tempest is best. His MB Spin starts his game, and its a huge threat to even leave the ground vs him, even with Kitana.

Last edited:

XxDark_

Noob
Tempest is better for multiple reasons:

Against most of the cast, a lot of them don't have an answer for Kung Lao putting up his hat spin and just running at them, of course, the universal answer is letting the Kung Lao player run in, have the hat block, and then his only option is staggering or a throw, but in a lot of MU's, this is something the Kung Lao Tempest player can do at will, after throws, at full screen, or after every 21 knockdown, if you can do this in any MU, use Tempest.

Having a pressure tool like MB Orbiting hat allows for better offence, and by offence, I mean staggering and throwing, and with throws that is where most of your damage will be made up, and by throwing your opponent a lot, they start to let go of the block button way easier.

But nothing in any variation beats his Hat spin armour breaking in the corner, this is something no other variation has with this amount of safety. Hat Trick can armour break in the corner but it doesn't work vs the entire cast like tempest.

Buzzsaw is still a decent variation, but the lack of damage and the fact that conversions from B3 after meter dependant really hurts the variation, considering you can do some cool knockdown set ups with MB low hat.

Buzzsaw does have its place vs characters that make him duck and walk in the neutral, his straight and low hats can contest this, but you have to deal with low damage and you need to be on point with low hats point black into jailing standing 1's, you can also get a lot of throws after the low hat on hit, but the opponent can always mash armour.

But for almost all matches, Tempest is best. His MB Spin starts his game, and its a huge threat to even leave the ground vs him, even with Kitana.
Accurate. sums it all up

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
You could use Hat Trick as a standard if you wanted, but you don't want to use it in any match vs a character with a 50/50 or safe 50/50 as you will find yourself point blank with no hat and at disadvantage.

You do get an incredible corner game with Hat Trick, but you don't get guaranteed armour breaking set ups in the corner for free like tempest does.