What's new

Tech Buffer window after iaDG

Eminent

Forum Lurker
After iaDG on block or hit, while you are falling back to the ground there is a buffer window where you can input specials and they will come out when you hit the ground.

Some practical uses for this:

If you hit someone with iaDG into the corner, you can buffer a lasso grab. As long as they don't wake-up, they have to block the lasso grab. It will hit them as they stand up even if they are blocking low, leaving you at frame advantage.

You can parry right after iaDG. If you can get the iaDG out at the lowest point you can even parry flash's and batgirl's fastest punishes. (Lex's corps charge can't be parried)

***You can BOUNCE CANCEL after iaDG. The armor comes out faster than you can block. Yes, you heard that right. Try it against lex's reversal corps charge. You don't even have to get the iaDG to come out very low. Costs 2 bars but it'll punish Lex everytime.

Thanks to 4x4lo8o for helping me find this.

There is video of me doing this at 1:26:32 and other places in this video. http://www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat/b/477113529 (That's me, Mister E, and 4x4lo8o playing the mirror)

4x4lo8o

Noob
Maaaan, what are you doing spoiling all our secret, Arizona Wonder Woman tech? Especially the tech I found. Go share your shitty corner combos or something if you want TYM fame, not my awesome discovery :coffee:

Just as a note, this isn't a buffer window - it's actually a special cancel. You input it before the end of the move(you can actually dial in the special right after you input the demi goddess, before it even connnects) and it cancels some of the recovery frames into the special. It's sorta odd that you can cancel a special into a special, but that's what it appears to be.

The parry doesn't beat anything that would have been a punish. I think it activates the same frame you would have been able to block(so demi goddess has a cancel advantage of 4 frames, I guess). To parry The Flash's Flying Uppercut reversal you have to get the perfectly spaced, perfectly low iadg that would have been able to block it anyway. It has other uses though, like blowing up people who know they can't punish iadg but go for pressure instead.

The bounce cancel is pretty amazing, it makes iadg completely safe.

DarkPage

Noob
This is so fuckin great.

I had noticed that when i did that when i tried an instant j1 into amazon smash, and like if i missed the timing and hit the 3 too late when she hit the ground the d3 would come out.

sounds like the same kinda function, but never thought demigoddess would kinda have it too and with the bounce cancel that shit is super viable especially if you messed up and did it a bit high, plus shes always got some meter to spare.

awesome awesome find.

Eminent

Forum Lurker
I had noticed that when i did that when i tried an instant j1 into amazon smash, and like if i missed the timing and hit the 3 too late when she hit the ground the d3 would come out.
I've noticed that exact same thing, except I would get standing 3. I think you were just holding down when she landed. When you do a jump in attack, once it connects there is a buffer window until you hit the ground I think. That's when you're supposed to input strings when you jump in. With instant jump 1 there is a giant buffer window because she kicks you at the beginning of the arc. The game thinks you are trying to ji1~3.

Eminent

Forum Lurker
damn iadg into lasso? would it maybe also be possible to cancel into swordstance?
Yes, you can. But that is pretty unsafe... unless you cancel the stance switch into sword parry or something? Hmm... might be on to something there.

Edit: Just tried it. I don't think there's much there. It's too unsafe.

Yes, you can. But that is pretty unsafe... unless you cancel the stance switch into sword parry or something? Hmm... might be on to something there.

Edit: Just tried it. I don't think there's much there. It's too unsafe.

what about the shoulder? that might be a block string

Im tryna do it on lex corps charge right now and she wont even switch to sword in time at the lowest possible, let alone the shield bash coming out.

so it wouldnt be a true blockstring, but an iadg is kinda like a reptile dash on block u need a couple of frames to react and input your move to punish it. it might still be useful if there is really only a small gap. iadg into lasso grab is still a high so people can blow that up.

DarkPage

Noob
so it wouldnt be a true blockstring, but an iadg is kinda like a reptile dash on block u need a couple of frames to react and input your move to punish it. it might still be useful if there is really only a small gap. iadg into lasso grab is still a high so people can blow that up.
True, if you get input just right, cause the push back of IADG i dont think they can d1 or anything so could be useful.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
After testing it, cant really see much use for it.
Opponents can beat out followups with specials, if their normal couldnt reach in the first place you were better off just whiff punishing too, and from the knockdown in the corner why go for frame advantage off the lasso grab, when you already have your 5o50 attempt?

4x4lo8o

Noob
After testing it, cant really see much use for it.
Opponents can beat out followups with specials, if their normal couldnt reach in the first place you were better off just whiff punishing too, and from the knockdown in the corner why go for frame advantage off the lasso grab, when you already have your 5o50 attempt?
The Lasso Grab is pretty meh, but the fact that you can special cancel iadg potentially leads to some crazy stuff.

The parry creates a guessing game. The parry comes out at the same speed as just blocking, so unless you think they're going to attempt to punish with a move that's unsafe on block or they're expecting the parry and not going to attack there's not a whole lot of reason to not throw it out. If they attempt to punish with something that's safe on block but mistime or misjudge it or just give up on the idea of punishing and go for pressure it gives you a chance to punish that doesn't exist without this. Then, if they know you have the option to parry they can wait and punish when they see the parry, but if you chose not to parry that now leaves you in their face at neutral and you can go for a string or start footsies or whatever.

For example, as Ares I have pretty poor options for punishing iadg. Usually I just go for 22 which will punish sometimes, but mostly I just expect it to be blocked which leaves me at +1 and in my d1 range. She could back dash, but that doesn't give her a punish either and it creates a bunch of space. So I'll block iadg all day - the chip is annoying but eventually she'll do one that I can punish and they always leave me in a position that I can work with.
But now that she can parry them I can't safely throw out that 22. She lands, I commit to that 22, she parries twice and I'm eating 40%. So next time I block iadg I just block and wait for the parry. Instead I end up blocking a b1.

Obviously it doesn't matter if the opponent/character can punish iadg consistently, but that leaves a fair number of match ups that it does affect.

The bounce cancel seems like a ridiculously good option to have. It's expensive and is only going to be a situational thing, but it makes iadg completely safe. In something like the Aquaman match where he's been punishing iadg fairly consistently with d2 and limiting your ground mobility with ftd the whole match you could use it near the end of the game to get in from half screen and either blow up his punish attempt with un-traitable, unclashable damage or get free pressure if he just blocks

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
This is amazing. I wonder how many other characters have specials that can be cancelled. Harley is the only one that comes to mind with her AA gun shot~line of fire

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I'm not gonna do any special cancelling without some freaking scouting that is for sure.

ESPECIALLY doing parry or lasso grab.

Seems like the risk/reward is too much of a big deal. Especially, like foxy said, you can just block and be fine. That is no risk.

It is pretty neat though.

Eminent

Forum Lurker
Seems like the risk/reward is too much of a big deal. Especially, like foxy said, you can just block and be fine. That is no risk.
Obviously just blocking is going to be your go-to option. However, if you notice any patterns in your opponent, you now have some options to blow them up for trying to punish/going for pressure every time.

RM_Gamer

Noob
the fact that u can bounce cancel after it is amazing. u can catch back dashes and best of all u dont have to pre-link it. if u noticed u did it too high just bounce cancel on reaction. good find