What's new

Buff Uppercut! M I Rite ?

i honestly dont think shang needs any buffs, in the right hands hes already a hand full to deal with and adding even something small can overpower him. sure hes got some hard match ups and sure he takes a really long time to master but all that time and effort just makes taking down those kung laos that much sweeter.

IMO shang needs to be sped up. Maybe i'm playing him wrong and I'd love sombody to teach me how to do him right, but everything he does is way to sluggish.

King

Sig Maker
IMO shang needs to be sped up. Maybe i'm playing him wrong and I'd love sombody to teach me how to do him right, but everything he does is way to sluggish.
Shang has the second best frame traps in the game. Your normals should generally only be used in block strings or inside combos. Aside from that, you should be using his specials more often. Shang probably has the best meaty pressure in the game.

Sigmar

Ex Mortis
why would you even use this? to get destroyed after missing?!. me using the uppercut is like me playing kl.

Shang has the second best frame traps in the game. Your normals should generally only be used in block strings or inside combos. Aside from that, you should be using his specials more often. Shang probably has the best meaty pressure in the game.
Been looking for videos on his pressure and traps, but cannot seem to find any. I'm a visual person, if I see it most of the time I can mimic it.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Been looking for videos on his pressure and traps, but cannot seem to find any. I'm a visual person, if I see it most of the time I can mimic it.
Any of his strings canceled into close up skull pretty much.

If you jump in on someone you always want to open with the 2, 2, 1 xx close up skull because if it lands you can do a full skull carry combo. After this string follow it up with f4, 3, 4 into more up skulls. The idea is that after up skull people either have to counter poke out or jump away to escape his pressure. If poking starts to occur replace your gaps with d3 which will win every counter poke war and then continue with more f4, 3, 4 close up skull pressure.

Back on topic: Screw buffing uppercut. D1 is just way better on reaction because it turns into a 1,2 xx 1,2,2 meteor for the safe jump continued pressure. If people are stuffing your D1 then start pressing D3 to lower your hitbox. At this point if people start to wise up and use jump kicks (they wont) then I guess you will have to block like everyone else. People shouldn't have an easy time jumping on Shang though.

Any of his strings canceled into close up skull pretty much.

If you jump in on someone you always want to open with the 2, 2, 1 xx close up skull because if it lands you can do a full skull carry combo. After this string follow it up with f4, 3, 4 into more up skulls. The idea is that after up skull people either have to counter poke out or jump away to escape his pressure. If poking starts to occur replace your gaps with d3 which will win every counter poke war and then continue with more f4, 3, 4 close up skull pressure.

Back on topic: Screw buffing uppercut. D1 is just way better on reaction because it turns into a 1,2 xx 1,2,2 meteor for the safe jump continued pressure. If people are stuffing your D1 then start pressing D3 to lower your hitbox. At this point if people start to wise up and use jump kicks (they wont) then I guess you will have to block like everyone else. People shouldn't have an easy time jumping on Shang though.
Thx sao, I guess i've been doing it semi right then. I can usually only pressure like this in the corner. f434 up skull or f43 upskull and I juggle em in the air with it again or put in a SS at the end if I can ever remember and know the other character. Alot of times though if they are blocking i'll do the f434 Upskull and then go back into it and most of the time they can jump right over me for a cross up.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Thx sao, I guess i've been doing it semi right then. I can usually only pressure like this in the corner. f434 up skull or f43 upskull and I juggle em in the air with it again or put in a SS at the end if I can ever remember and know the other character. Alot of times though if they are blocking i'll do the f434 Upskull and then go back into it and most of the time they can jump right over me for a cross up.
If you notice they're jumping out (and most people want to) you need to either jump kick them to put them back in the corner or change your strings a little to get your hitbox's higher. B1,2,1,4 is a great string for anti jump, f4, 3, 4 works of course and you might want to think about ending some of your strings with a meteor on top or in front of your opponent to keep them trapped.

Edit: I don't like sticking out a soul steal at the end of his block strings because of the potential damage/chip/free meter Shang gets off of his up skull pressure. When an opponent is advancing your goal should be to make them dash block an up skull and then dash at them and start the pressure.

The most practical soul steal setups in my opinion are off of b2 xx soul steal. This is a net of 22% and great for finishing.
Or f3 xx soul steal. Usually attempt these off of a jump in punch towards the end of the round unless you're comfortable with the opponents character. The reason I recommend these is because you either hit your opponent with an overhead or a low into soul steal which is safe on block.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
What about instead of the ss, try going for an upskull, and once it hits, try hitting b1,2,1,4? That's about 1 free bar, and I don't see many people use that string that often.

What I need is something to beat raiden's teleports that'll do some decent damage or leave ME at the advantage. I know I can uppercut him with quan chi or nightwolf, but with shang i'm toolless and out of inspiration. That's hardest matchup for me, and I'd appreciate some help. I just can't touch him(teleports and strings me) or zone him (needless to say anything).