What's new

Buff Uppercut! M I Rite ?

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Shang really should never be in a situation where he needs uppercut. It's slow because he has other great options for punishing jump ins.

RamenO

It Stinks!
I don't really agree that he has other "great" options for punishing jump ins. His forward 2 is his best normal for stopping jump ins, and can be followed up with ground skulls, though.

Close ground skull is also a good way to stomp out any premature jump ins.

However, once they're on you, you can only really play good defense and wait for an opening. Uppercut isn't going to help in any match.

Rather than buff his uppercut, I'd rather see his neutral 3 or 4 buffed in some way(hit box, start up, etc.)

Altaire

Noob
Shang doesn't need a fast uppercut. His near upskull will punish jump-ins, and it gives huge advantage on block.

I really don't know why more people don't use this.

Creepy00

Noob
Maybe cause shang has the morphing ability and earns his opponent gameplay style? Like their special, normal,etc.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
i'm a five minute shang tsung but the initial feeling is that he absolutely needs faster normals
You're supposed to use the skulls to put people in block stun and then use his normals for frame traps. Once you get a block string going your opponent has to guess correctly to get out.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Please feel free to share with us his other great options for punishing jump ins.
I spoke somewhat incorrectly. I meant to say that Shang should never really be in a position to get jumped in on. Upskulls will stop a jump in if they happen and if the opponent blocks you get a free block string into more upskull frame traps.

shura30

Shura
You're supposed to use the skulls to put people in block stun and then use his normals for frame traps. Once you get a block string going your opponent has to guess correctly to get out.

i'm sure that skulls are so slow that almost every character has somethin go get out.
upskull slowness is ridiculous

a good set of normals could make a better character than he actually is

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
i'm sure that skulls are so slow that almost every character has somethin go get out.
upskull slowness is ridiculous

a good set of normals could make a better character than he actually is
Here is a link to a tournament I streamed Wendesday the 13th and a Shang Tsung player won it.

http://testyourmight.com/forum/content.php?1446-MK9-Arizona-Tournament-Matches

If you use his frame traps correctly which takes a lot of practice his normals shouldn't feel to bad. Try putting people through the platformer of up skulls and when they get close to you F+4,3,4 into up skull. Eventually your mind will be able to think fast enough to decipher whether or not you've landed the hits and send out a mid range up skull or a close one that your opponent blocks granting you the ability to loop the same string into another up skull.

To put it simply, Shang Tsung doesn't win his matches by reacting to offense. He wins his matches by putting his opponent into some form of block stun and running frame traps.

Please feel free to share with us his other great options for punishing jump ins.
1. jumping forward air to air jump punch, dash f+34~medium ground skull, :en ground skull, ender of choice.

2. jumping forward air to air jump punch, soul steal for 14% plus damage boost.

3. NJ punch, close ground skull, medium ground skull, :en ground skull, ender of choice for 30% or more and its unbreakable.. i'll say it again....UNBREAKABLE!!

shura30

Shura
Here is a link to a tournament I streamed Wendesday the 13th and a Shang Tsung player won it.
your stream is the reason i started playing shang lol :D

i think i'll practice with him a bit more
but i really don't see him a character that can be effective in the long run against rushdown types

i think that his skulls can be effective until players learn to react with spins and dashes

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
your stream is the reason i started playing shang lol :D

i think i'll practice with him a bit more
but i really don't see him a character that can be effective in the long run against rushdown types

i think that his skulls can be effective until players learn to react with spins and dashes
You're exactly right. He has a really difficult time with Raiden because zoning doesn't work on him. Good rush down pressure will prevent him from setting up his fireball game and force him to go for ex soul steal to get you off him. And he does have gaps in his pressure that people can use to their advantage.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
I spoke somewhat incorrectly. I meant to say that Shang should never really be in a position to get jumped in on. Upskulls will stop a jump in if they happen and if the opponent blocks you get a free block string into more upskull frame traps.
That's very true. I can apply some solid pressure on offense and make all my normals safe with skulls/soul steal, but lack in getting characters off me especially against the likes Lao, Mileena, Kitana, etc.

3. NJ punch, close ground skull, medium ground skull, :en ground skull, ender of choice for 30% or more and its unbreakable.. i'll say it again....UNBREAKABLE!!
In general, what's a consistent way to land NJP in combos ? If I'm on the left side of the screen my success rate is much higher than on the right side when it comes to NJP in combos.

I think Shang must has a fast appercut.
1) Shang has very bad wake up game, and fast uppercut would be +1 option.
2) Obliviosly, Shang cannot punish small unsafes.
3) Why are you talking, what Shangs have many way to punish jump ins?
a) Close Ground Skull - too slow for use om reaction, you must predict your opponent. If you miss, opponent will punish you
b) f+2 - well timed jump in punch easy interrupt this move. and it never help with crossups.
c) NJP - great move, but slow start up.
4) A few words about F434 skulls mixups.
a) If you do F434, ground skull, d+3, opponent can cross up you after ground skull. I think you can use NJP, but even if it will success you given only near 34 damage for you opponent. But if opponent crossup will success, you receive 40+ damage.
b) If you do F434, up skull, opponent can crossup you on reaction after F434, or doing fast special.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I think it will be interesting for all peoples, who read this topic, not only me. Can you write any facts?
I thought it was common knowledge. Thats like asking: Prove that Sub-Zero can link x-ray from 2,1,4 and citing that you did it 5000 times, each time it missed. Just trust us on this lol.