What's new

General/Other - Unbreakable Buff suggestion: "Droning" the aura.

Lokheit

Noob
Its common knowledge that Unbreakable is in a deplorable state, even after the last buff on its ex slide (which for some reason has a 57% damage reduction over following damage, so it isn't really that helpful), it's still considered one of the worst variations in the game.

There is something that could help its playstyle evolve though. I've been thinking about this since the original aura buff in September and with the mechanics presented by Cyber Sub-Zero The Fridge the idea has evolved.

The original aura buff gave us this:

- Aura became faster, allowing us to use the EX version in the middle of a combo (and the regular version after a B12), but with a damage scale of 0.85 (you only get 85% of following damage, basically like using the EX Iceball or CSZ regular Iceball in the middle of a combo).

- If you use Ice Burst/Frost Bomb with the aura active, the move deals increased damage and removes the aura.

This change didn't buff combo damage so much (mostly because of the damage scale on aura use mid combo, while Grand Master Sub-Zero can use the EX Klone in the middle of some combos with no penalty to following damage) and it created some sort of "identity crisis" as the aura shouldn't be active if you wanted to extend your combos or make them safer... but the whole idea of playing Unbreakable is having the aura active as much as you can.

In the latest MKXL patch, another move received new properties at the cost of consuming the aura:

- EX Slide now freezes the opponent in the air on its second hit. The problem as previously said is that the damage scale is too heavy (Grand Master EX Slide into Klone has a lighter total damage penalty for example).

BUT these 2 moves could be the first step into a tweak that a different, more metallic, version of Sub-Zero already has:

The Fridge has the ability to call drones, that can be consumed, by holding the command button, to enhance different moves. This way you can add damage over time to iceballs, make a string launch or add big corner carry to the divekick.

Now here are some interesting things to take from this:

- Buffing the move, and consuming the resource in the process is completly optional (you hold the button if you want it, just tap it if you don't want the resource gone).

- It works on different ways over different moves.

- It's already in the game code, which means that using it for a different character is CHEAP from a production and resoures stand point.

So here is the idea:

Make the aura buff optional too for Unbreakable and make it buff more moves, specifically, the regular and EX versions of Iceball and Parry, and make the buff basically the same that The Fridge already has: add a bit of damage over time to the freeze effects.

So what do you gain from this?

- You get the ability to consume the aura with your freezes... why is this VERY important? Because it removes the "identity crisis" mentioned above. With this buff you could keep the aura active all the time (which is the main reason to play the variation) and still benefit from the "aura use mid combo" extension because your combo starter (string into iceball or parry) removes it.

- Adding a little bit of chip damage to those enhanced freezes compensates a bit for the damage penalty on aura use. It still isn't too high, but at least you get a bit more from those combos (probably +1-2 damage taking into account that you're using iceballs sooner and will cancel auras into 242, so not really so much more damage).

Additional changes that could come with this buff:

- Decrease the new EX Slide damage penalty so it's worth the bar AND the aura consumption you're already spending.

- Make the enhanced Ice Burst safe on block, which would create some "mini block strings" like F4-EXFreeze-JIP-F4-Burst. Not much damage and you can't loop it, but you would get some nice chip damage and still be safe.

So basically, it's not such a big buff, and it's something that already exists in the game's code (I insist on this because this means it's a CHEAP change with very little production cost) but it could have a big impact over the evolution of Unbreakable, removing the identity crisis that its buffs created and adding a bit of damage over time ticks to compensate for the heavy damage scales on aura use.

@RM Ree
@Dankster Morgan
@boba_buster
@themilkman014
@UsedForGlue
@Braindead (I know you're no longer into the game but you're still part of the Subbie community).

Last edited:

ArmageddonUMK

LongJohnCena
Unbreakable should get a teleport that he can only use when his aura is up. Would be the ultimate timeout character.
I was against the idea of giving him the old tombstone tele, as I didn't think it solved his issues, but now that you put it that way I'm all for it. Next buffs should focus around him being a timeout character. Now that's the defensive style I had in mind when I first read about the variation

But let's face it, we're not getting anything worthwhile at this point. Nrs clearly doesn't know how/care enough to make it a useful variation

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
To play defensively you still have to be able to win the attrition war/trades while doing it otherwise these time outs will still leave you with the lower health and losing the game, he has the lowest damage and some of the worst chip in the game, and his only projectile does no chip. Aura needs to redirect chip damage to your opponent, even if only 50% as much.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
To play defensively you still have to be able to win the attrition war/trades while doing it otherwise these time outs will still leave you with the lower health and losing the game, he has the lowest damage and some of the worst chip in the game, and his only projectile does no chip. Aura needs to redirect chip damage to your opponent, even if only 50% as much.
Yep, 100% this. That's why this variation fails in comparison to other defensive variations like Grandmaster and Blood God, because they at least give the opponent something to fear. Even though GM and BG are mid- upper mid tier, they arnt toothless like Unbreakable.