What's new

Broken Grammar: 'Unbreakerable'?

Sasuga

Noob
In Killer Instinct we had Combo Breakers. Some combo's could not be broken and were thus called 'unbreakable'.

Now in MK we have breakers. Some combo's can not be broken and they are called 'unbreakerable'...?

Unbreakerable sounds grammatically incorrect to me. To me the following sentences are correct: "You break combo's with a breaker. Combo's that can not be broken are unbreakable."

A lot of people seem to use the term unbreakerable. Even Ultradavid is convinced that this is correct as the mechanism is called 'breaker'.

So what do you guys think?

Eight

I am the salt
It's fine with me. Just a bit of FG slang/lingo.

Like cross-up, salty, bodied, free, etc. That shit isn't in websters, but we still use it everywhere.

and it sounds dramatic, so thats +1

UNBREAKERABLE

Sasuga

Noob
You're talking about a game that replaces hard C's with K's.
No, the game never uses unbreakerable. People do.

It's not a problem for me tho, lol. I prefer the unbreakable. I should have added a pol... I have to figure out how that works...

BookBurning

Voidwards
Unbreakable is technically correct but the problem here is that you're referring to something that is called a "Breaker" and it's being used as a standalone item in the game.

So because of that Unbreakerable is fine.

But here's like my main question..

Who cares? :p

M2Dave

Zoning Master
BookBurning said:
Unbreakable is technically correct but the problem here is that you're referring to something that is called a "Breaker" and it's being used as a standalone item in the game.

So because of that Unbreakerable is fine.

But here's like my main question..

Who cares? :p
I agree. The fighting game community comes up with new words all the time.

For those who are picky, 'unbreakerable' is obviously not a word in the English language. The in-game uses uses (combo) breaker which is a noun. So, 'to break' a combo would the action (i.e., verb). 'Unbreakable' is the adjective because 'unbreakerable' doesn't exist.

Sasuga

Noob
Instead of "unbreakerable", just say "it cannot be broken"...
Or.... It cannot be breakered...? :p

On a sidenote: I'm at the office, there isn't much to do and I allready know they are not extending my contract. So basically, in relative terms, this matter is pretty fucking interesting :p

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
You use a "Breaker" to "break" a combo, rendering that combo "BROKEN".
If something cannot be "Broken", it is described as being Unbreakable. This is how i look at it, but as already stated, who cares!?