What's new

Breakthrough - Ermac Breakthrough - All Variations - Soul Charge Cancel

Enkindu

Noob
Seems sorta useful. :x I originally posted this in the video section, but to give it some more attention I created its own thread. If you have any questions or comments regarding this tech, ask here. I've not done too much studying on it, so there might be other uses for this. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Found this lil gem while messing around in training mode. How it's done is, first execute Ermac's Soul Charge move B+2, and continue to hold 2. Now, while you're holding 2, execute any of Ermac's EX moves, and upon either releasing 2, or allowing it to finish its animation itself will cancel out the B+2 and replace it with the EX move you've inputted. That's all there is to it. You can also input regular special moves, but they won't cancel the Soul Charge animation, instead, your special move will come out once, and only if, the Soul Charge is blocked or hits. There is another way to cancel Soul Charge into special moves in the third video posted here. A side note, in order to execute the Super move, you must hold down both the Block button and the Switch stance button until the B+2 animation is completed. Or at least make sure you press them on the last possible frame.

While holding 2 during the B+2 animation, if you tap G at any time during the charging animation, you can cancel that into a forward run without holding having to press the block button again. This allows you to cancel into an attack almost immediately. You can use this to bait jumps from your opponent and things like that.
Utilizing the tech from the former vid, you can use this to also cancel into Ermac's special attacks almost instantly. You charge up the B+2, single tap (don't hold) Block during the charging animation, tap F,F to initiate a run, and then cancel that into your special move. Kind of confusing, but it really isn't once you grasp the concept.

Nyaa

Let's fighting love
Hmm, interresting. Though the only practical use I can think of is to trick your opponent into thinking you did a HUGE misinput to open him up as you mentioned. Shenanigans!

zaf

professor
Looks interesting. Will need to mess with this more. Nice find @Enkindu

@Nyaa First place I thought of using this was after a B12 on hit. ( vortex)
I don't feel as thought this is going to be strong on it's own in the neutral. Although I don't see anyone using it, nor have I all that much. So would just need to practice and shoot this into the mix. But yea looks like something you would be using when you have forced your opponent to sit there. So vortex options I guess.

Nyaa

Let's fighting love
@zaf Why would you use it after a B12? After B12 we're already at a huge frame-advantage and opponent have to just take it. Doing B2-sheningans in that situation would at best make them block, just giving you the exact same mixup, and at worst they might start mashing some armored move.

zaf

professor
@zaf Why would you use it after a B12? After B12 we're already at a huge frame-advantage and opponent have to just take it. Doing B2-sheningans in that situation would at best make them block, just giving you the exact same mixup, and at worst they might start mashing some armored move.
I honestly see no other real place to use this right now.... That was the only real set up I think you would be able to get something out.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
This might start an interesting discussion!

What's the best way to follow up the vortex, if you don't want to go for the 50/50 (which I highly suggest in most cases)?

- f21d2 hits mid and is 0 on block, so this has become my "go to"-move.
- f21d2 has a horrible start-up, yet a decent reach.

Maybe b2 could be used to check the opponent just outside of the average poking-range. Afterwards one could still follow up with the ordinary f21d2-string!

Generally I still wonder how good Ermac's blockstrings are. He might have some decent frametraps with his hitconfirmable 2,2,2 string being only 8f on startup. Then again most of his moves start high and get counterpoked a lot...

I am very unsure if b2 really is +2 on block. My game says it is neutral, but then again the framedata of the PC version might be wrong. Actually it might be the same thing with f21d2 being 0 on block, but last time I played on a PS4 it felt neutral at least.

zaf

professor
This might start an interesting discussion!
What's the best way to follow up the vortex, if you don't want to go for the 50/50 (which I highly suggest in most cases)?
- f21d2 hits mid and is 0 on block, so this has become my "go to"-move.
- f21d2 has a horrible start-up, yet a decent reach.
Maybe b2 could be used to check the opponent just outside of the average poking-range. Afterwards one could still follow up with the ordinary f21d2-string!
Generally I still wonder how good Ermac's blockstrings are. He might have some decent frametraps with his hitconfirmable 2,2,2 string being only 8f on startup. Then again most of his moves start high and get counterpoked a lot...
I am very unsure if b2 really is +2 on block. My game says it is neutral, but then again the framedata of the PC version might be wrong. Actually it might be the same thing with f21d2 being 0 on block, but last time I played on a PS4 it felt neutral at least.
If you are playing on PC, then yea your frame data is not correct.
It is behind a couple of patches... So whatever you are seeing right now is old and irrelevant.

Also there is no "best" follow up to the vortex. Its either 50/50 or continued pressure or grab

jharris

I'm not surprised, motherfuckers
i was looking into this last week, found nothing from it seems kinda pointless. hopefully better players than me will find a good use

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Cancelling B2 into a soul ball is the only use I've gotten from this move. Soul ball hits because everyone releases their block after the B2. So as long as you use it sparingly, it's pretty cool. Beyond that, it's as useful as a CD left in the hot sun for a month.