What's new

Boss fight question

Is there any indicator at all that they are going to do their "glowing invincible" shield and that my next 20 hits are going to be worthless and leave me open to a 40% death combo? I feel like I could fight these fights in a predictable, functional manner but those glowing invincible frames screw me hard and make me not want to get anywhere near them.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I was going to make a boss guide but haven't had the time yet. They are extremely easy. The easiest way to beat Goro and Kintaro is to JP into a combo over and over. Just jump out of the way when they tried to stomp and you're golden. When they are invincible, that's when they are in attack frames. After they attack and are in recovery frames, that's when you do damage. With a character with any decent speed projectile you can just shoot Shao Kahn at full screen until he's dead, just keeping ducking and jumping straight up over hammers.

Tim Static

Adminerator
projectiles own kahn. i stay away and try to outfire fb's. remember you cant block or duck his hammer toss, and it stuns you. badly.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Ditto that, Tim. Khan is easy provided that you don't try to go toe to toe with him. Keep your distance and spam projectiles. If you can, time your shots to hit right before he tosses a spear, hammer, etc. He takes a long time to kill, but keep up this process and you should be able to beat him easily; if not flawless him.

so the bosses are invincible any time they're the agressor and can only be damaged in neutral or recovery frames? Helps a bit but it's still hard to anticipate. I beat Kahn a few times with projectiles but I always feel like a dirty cheap bastard when I have to do that. Always trying to find a way to beat him up close :D

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Vassago187 said:
so the bosses are invincible any time they're the agressor and can only be damaged in neutral or recovery frames? Helps a bit but it's still hard to anticipate. I beat Kahn a few times with projectiles but I always feel like a dirty cheap bastard when I have to do that. Always trying to find a way to beat him up close :D
Yeah it feels cheap but considering that in this game you can't even hurt them when they're attacking, THAT'S cheap. lol

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
The first time I beat Kahn I didn't rely on spamming projectiles. Just got close to him and jumped over him each time. He starts attacking once you are over him, leaving his back open to a combo. Haven't tried on max difficulty so not sure if this works on that setting.

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
sweet! is it confirmed working on mk9 max difficulty? I only ran thru arcade ladder once on default setting.

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
Nice! did you do the coin trick? I should have done it but thought I would get enough by just by beating 300 tower. Then later learned you need approx 300k to clean out the krypt, and once you finish those challenges the trick doesn't work anymore. I guess if you don't care to earn the coins legit, it might be the fastest route for those still going thru tower (which earned me about 175k)

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
in tower mode, when you get to one of the challenges where you knock coins out of your opponent, retry before the game ends. You still get to keep all the money even if you retry. If you finish the challenge and it shows 'complete' then it doesn't work anymore. There are several challenges like this thru out the tower. I could have sworn this trick still worked even after you complete it on one of the earlier coin challenges, but when I retried the jade one (somewhere between 250-300) it did not work once I got success. I think they might end up patching this tho.