What's new

Video/Tutorial Blocking Superman Divebomb Set ups

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
I've been seeing a lot of folks getting hit by Superman's divebomb resets in the corner lately. I'm aware that divebomb can cross up at midscreen or in the corner, but most set ups are done without hard knockdowns. (such as 3, 1, or even 11 into trait into divebomb)

The thing about these divebomb set ups is that they can all be tech rolled. Tech rolls can't be punished in this game so you are able to tech roll and block immediately with no consequence.

Since 3, 11, 1, and even 2 are all tech-rollable, you can tech roll using a button while holding back. This makes the divebomb hit in front every time as you roll towards the corner, preventing it from crossing up.

This works with cross up and non-cross up divebombs. Another interesting note is that divebomb only seems to cross up if its done from a certain distance from the ground (usually around character distance, which is variant depending on who you use).

If divebombs are done as instant-airs, they tend to never cross up, and even then if you press a normal to tech roll and block normally, you will block it and able to punish after.

Here's a video demonstrating how to block it every time (even midscreen divebomb cross up set ups).

Now, since I showed how to block it off the normal set ups used, I went ahead and came up with a set up that's a little trickier to land but must be blocked correctly.

This is using a hard knockdown such as b23.
The best part is that divebomb can be done instantly to make it cross up or not.
All you have to do is a instant jump forward divebomb to cross up, or a instant neutral divebomb to hit in front, both of which are hard to see.
Timing takes some getting used to since you there's a slight delay after hitting the b23. Also it must be done as soon as possible and the b23 must hit as high as you can to prevent wake up attacks from coming out.
Here's a quick video of the set-up (don't mind my numerous fails at the end!).

@AK/RM GamerBlake

Last edited by a moderator:

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
For the techroll stuff, I actually had tested this a week or so ago and was still having it cross up at times.
Have you experienced any variability in your results? Maybe caused by the height or forward motion of the jump?

Cat

For the techroll stuff, I actually had tested this a week or so ago and was still having it cross up at times.
Have you experienced any variability in your results? Maybe caused by the height or forward motion of the jump?
If you late on the tech roll you will get crossed up. Do it quickly and you will be fine

Cat

You can make it cross up even if they tech roll if your timing is good.

For some reason it doesn't work on Atlantis though.
I tested it. Noticed it crossed up if tech rolled is slightly off. But if you get it on point you can block it each time. Even then to get it to hit if tech roll is delayed just a bit is very strict.

In atlantis cross ups dont work on the left side of the stage for some reason as well.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Cool. Glad to know I was on the right track and just timing things a bit off.
Thanks Cat, good work!

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
I have been working with this of a while but I can't seem to get it to cross up off b23 can someone help me out with that?Also using f2d1,3 can grant the same situation, how ever getting it to cross up is equally as difficult for me.

Cat

I have been working with this of a while but I can't seem to get it to cross up off b23 can someone help me out with that?Also using f2d1,3 can grant the same situation, how ever getting it to cross up is equally as difficult for me.
Make sure you get the b23 to hit high amd do the instant forward jump dive bomb as soon as you can. You can do it a lil high up for it to be easier but some wake ups mighy come out if you too slow

Thanks for posting the video, my mind was blown when this got mentioned on stream at final round. At first I couldn't believe it since I know I'd tried techrolling many times and eventually concluded that techrolling was even more unsafe, but after spending a while in training mode on this I'm now pretty much resolved to just mash the hell out of 1 and 2 whenever superman has me in a corner juggle to make sure I techroll asap. Seems pretty consistent if you do it to the frame....though I imagine even the best of us are still going to eat a divebomb reset every once in a while, and unfortunately it only takes one to turn the tide.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Make sure you get the b23 to hit high amd do the instant forward jump dive bomb as soon as you can. You can do it a lil high up for it to be easier but some wake ups mighy come out if you too slow
Have you tired it off of F2d1,3?

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
Superman players can bait the techroll by doing B1 after a standing 3, 1, etc. since most players are holding back while mashing techroll to block high, the B1 low will hit them. Some conversions off the b1 would be B1 ex breath, or even b1 - MB3 if you're reading that they'll mash wakeup after dong a techroll. (most players wont though because you'd need balls of titanium to wake up against Superman in the corner)

B1 is hard to fuzzy as well since the sound effect he makes doing it is sometimes the same as if he does a divebomb.

The techroll strat is still good for the community to know, so thanks for putting it out there.

Cat

Superman players can bait the techroll by doing B1 after a standing 3, 1, etc. since most players are holding back while mashing techroll to block high, the B1 low will hit them. Some conversions off the b1 would be B1 ex breath, or even b1 - MB3 if you're reading that they'll mash wakeup after dong a techroll. (most players wont though because you'd need balls of titanium to wake up against Superman in the corner)

B1 is hard to fuzzy as well since the sound effect he makes doing it is sometimes the same as if he does a divebomb.

The techroll strat is still good for the community to know, so thanks for putting it out there.
just wanted ppl to know since i seen a lot of ppl got blown up by them for no reason.
b1 set up sounds good because a blocked divebomb can get your hurt badly against players who actually know how to punish them on block