What's new

Blocking help?

Fate

Noob
Just got Injustice in the mail today finally. Did the tutorial and I'm working on learning Aquaman. I'm having one huge (and maybe laughably simple) problem. I can't block effectively for the life of me. I played MK9 a lot and grew up playing MK1-3. I never played any 2D fighting games besides those so this is a big sudden change for me. I understand back is block and down is crouch block.. but I just can't seem to block well. Am I supposed to hit back on reaction? I find myself holding back just walking backwards across the screen. I've not played too much so maybe I'm just missing something entirely but I can't seem to adapt to this.

I strive to be pretty good at every game I play so that's why I'm here. I like to learn from the best. Anyone have any tips on blocking? I'm sure practice is best but my brain can't even process it right now. The computer mauls me while I sit there clueless. I account a bit of this to not being practiced. I haven't played MK9 in over a year probably. I know a huge portion is blocking though and it just feels overwhelming to learn. I feel doomed.

Edit: I use the 360 controller to play using the D-pad.

Stchamps

PSN: SoaD_009
I find it much easier to hold "downback" rather than just "down" to block. Pretty much any time you're near your opponent and not attacking you want to be holding block. I usually always crouch block and switch to standing block when my opponents do overheads.

It also doesn't help you are using a controller. I find it much easier to block with back on an arcade stick.

blocking is just something you have to get used to over time. you can stop yourself from walking backwards by crouch blocking, a lot of the times overheads are slower than lows so crouch blocking and waiting for an overhead is a useful trick (though depending on the character you might have to change it).

It also doesn't help you are using a controller. I find it much easier to block with back on an arcade stick.
personal preference... the 360 pad, though... yeah... absolute asscheeks