What's new

Black Manta: Video Intel Series & Play List

REO

Undead
I created a full play list covering a lot of Black Manta basics and some advanced strategies for any of you that are interested in learning how to play as him or learning what he's about. Click here for the full play list.

Videos include:

- Basic Combos:

- How to Counter and Punish his Teleport:

- Using Instant Air Torpedo Cannons:

- Utilizing Manta Ray Laser:

- Mix-Ups and Pressure:

- Benefits of Doing Instant Air Lunge Attack:

- Mastering and Applying Instant Air Jetpack

I plan to add a couple more videos to the list. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy.

Last edited:

REO

Undead
nice vids reo one suggestion: change the title of the video from "mixups and pressure" to "gimmicks and hope your opponent has never labbed manta in his life"
Well yeah you can poke out or backdash out of any of his mix-ups but they can work if used sparingly and in the right situations. You obviously don't want to play him like The Flash but you can use them occasionally when your opponent may not expect it.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Well yeah you can poke out or backdash out of any of his mix-ups but they can work if used sparingly and in the right situations. You obviously don't want to play him like The Flash but you can use them occasionally when your opponent may not expect it.
im not knocking your tech or anything its just the limitations of the character. i dont think he can open up anybody up because his stagger pressure is reactable, the gaps and he has no frames to abuse. some characters with stubby range like batman d1 will have an awkward time keeping manta from going ham i guess.

even with that shortcoming hes prob still a fine character

Shaka

Tier Whore.
Reo downplayers will downplay, please focus on serious players instead.

Looking for a secondary to flash, can manta fit the bill or too early to tell? I want to play him but don't want to put time in if he can't handle majority of the mus

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
as a newbie, this game is seriously frustrating for reasons like this.
The frame data varies with certain stuff in certain situations. Projectile frame data is always wrong because there's a million different ways the projectile can hit you. It might be -1 on block at point blank but plus 15 at fullscreen.

Some moves(maybe all moves?) can also change frame data if they hit late into the active frames, so if you did an attack when the opponent was on the ground and it hit them on a later frame, it would make it more plus or less minus. This also happens at distance with some moves like Catwoman's MB dash being -7ish at full screen rather then the listed -13.

It's not something exclusive to NRS either, most games have stuff like this if I'm not mistaken. So the point is, it can be frustrating, but NRS does a fantastic job of providing reasonably accurate frame data. Some games don't provide it at all.

Awesome stuff Reo! One thing I think would be awesome to explore is the benefits of landing a b13 as a combo ender. Its a hard knockdown thats +28 and really small recovery. Plus you're up close enough to eat out a wakeup with 213 or 21xxLazers. I've been using it primarily in the corner to mixup between b23 and f3 starters but I want to see what you could come up with

Reactions: REO

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The frame data varies with certain stuff in certain situations. Projectile frame data is always wrong because there's a million different ways the projectile can hit you. It might be -1 on block at point blank but plus 15 at fullscreen.

Some moves(maybe all moves?) can also change frame data if they hit late into the active frames, so if you did an attack when the opponent was on the ground and it hit them on a later frame, it would make it more plus or less minus. This also happens at distance with some moves like Catwoman's MB dash being -7ish at full screen rather then the listed -13.

It's not something exclusive to NRS either, most games have stuff like this if I'm not mistaken. So the point is, it can be frustrating, but NRS does a fantastic job of providing reasonably accurate frame data. Some games don't provide it at all.
A good solution to statical frame data, is having inside the game a frame data counter, doa does this and works pretty well.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
@REO Adding to what you already have. You kan bait out Anti-Airs with your trait kancels if you move back. B22~4 DB kan be used to wiff punish Anti-Airs you just go into J3. You kan time it to hit krouching opponents against characters like Batman to beat his D2. Against characters like Catwoman or the Flash, you have to go back farther to bait out the AA which diminishes it's usefulness, but it's still good in some ways. Then of kourse, if they're going for MB B3, you kan just kancel it and make them waste a bar. Kanceling also helps against air to airs for the characters where you need to move farther.

Also, Instant Air Shark Attack kan be used to punish Tentacle Strike from Shark Attack's max range. Regular Reversal Shark Attack doesn't work here.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
@REO Adding to what you already have. You kan bait out Anti-Airs with your trait kancels if you move back. B22~4 DB kan be used to wiff punish Anti-Airs you just go into J3. You kan time it to hit krouching opponents against characters like Batman to beat his D2. Against characters like Catwoman or the Flash, you have to go back farther to bait out the AA which diminishes it's usefulness, but it's still good in some ways. Then of kourse, if they're going for MB B3, you kan just kancel it and make them waste a bar. Kanceling also helps against air to airs for the characters where you need to move farther.

Also, Instant Air Shark Attack kan be used to punish Tentacle Strike from Shark Attack's max range. Regular Reversal Shark Attack doesn't work here.
I cannot see how anyone does IASA. I cans do tiger knees and IA anything in other fighters.
Can't do IA anything in injustice. Except IA float lol

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I cannot see how anyone does IASA. I cans do tiger knees and IA anything in other fighters.
Can't do IA anything in injustice. Except IA float lol
I tried for a little bit on pad and it was hard.. I play on hitbox though... I kan do it fairly easy with that..

Punishing some stuff is still harder because you have to time it according to the block stun while still getting it as instant as possible.

I recommend you slide your input from Up to Back then press Forward...

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
I tried for a little bit on pad and it was hard.. I play on hitbox though... I kan do it fairly easy with that..

Punishing some stuff is still harder because you have to time it according to the block stun while still getting it as instant as possible.

I recommend you slide your input from Up to Back then press Forward...
Still really hard. I'm having no luck as it's mega inconsistent for me.
I'll look for a tutorial somewhere I guess.

DeftMonk

Noob
im not knocking your tech or anything its just the limitations of the character. i dont think he can open up anybody up because his stagger pressure is reactable, the gaps and he has no frames to abuse. some characters with stubby range like batman d1 will have an awkward time keeping manta from going ham i guess.

even with that shortcoming hes prob still a fine character
ya for real tho this is pretty much how I feel about him. If his j2 could hit people on the way up to punish or mainly if his rocket wasnt a high... seems like his ways to open you up revolve around people not knowing Manta or getting hit by that hella slow low starter. If that low starter was any faster his stagger pressure would make release deadshot look tame as hell. As it is tho I mean you gotta be working your ass off and you get 300 or some chip with the down side being any of the stuff above excluding the 3 trait cancel 3 can make u eat a fucking large order of get combod.