What's new

Black Canary's Meterless & Metered Vortex (No Lvl 3)

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
28/30 characters for metered and 28/30 characters meterless. The 2 missing are Supergirl and Swamp Thing but I'll upload the strong oki you have against them at some point.

Meterless (Only works on J2 vortexable characters that stay grounded):

You can even change the combo for meterless so you have a choice between lvl 1 and lvl 2 depending on if you hit or not

Part 1:

Part 2:

Important Notes for part 2:

You need to kill around 2-3ish frames on each of these chars(minus Robin and Cheetah) to catch/beat everything in the vid + short & long delay + everything else they could try to do. You can accidentally kill as many as 7(or maybe even more) and you might be fine.

The order you do the jump attacks doesn't matter too much, I just think j1 first j2 second deals with air tech better.

You can even do j2 j2.

On Robin you need to kill a couple more frames(just to be safe) so you don't get sucked into the wakeup and still beat everything else.

This is the new combo you do on Bane to get around trait

Added Cheetah's trait due to a request, but nothing changes for her. Also showed that ever if you mess up your timing you can still punish her.

Looping level 2 trait makes a lot of this stuff work and gives you a good fallback punish if you mistime something for the pt2 chars when doing metered

For meterless use the same setups as parts 1 & 2 or the other one for 112 1+3 that I posted, and if they're in the air and hit by a jump attack or just j3 then end whatever combo you use in 112 1+3 or d3 to loop for free.

Can use j2 over j3 against most of the chars that I used j3 on, j2 will usually make their wakeup whiff but can hit everything else they do still, allowing you a clean punish on the wakeup if thats what they do.

Which jump attacks you use on which char in pt 1:
Edit: Let me put this list up real quick so people can put it in their notes and stuff:

The 17 chars that get vortexed by just j2/j3 and which jump move you use. You can use j3 in a lot of the cases where you use j2(the opposite isn't true), but j2 is better for the chars it work on imo. Anyway:

Cheetah (j2)

Deadshot (j2)

Ivy (j2)

Scarecrow (j2)

Black Adam (j2)

Joker (j2)

Harley (j2)

Aquaman (j2)

Green Lantern (j2)

Flash (j2)

Dr Fate (j2)

Green Arrow (j2)

Darkseid (j2 or j3. Both really easy to time, doesn't matter too much which you use with what we know rn)

Blue Beetle (j3)

Grodd (j3)

Braniac (j3)

[moved to another setup] ->Bane<- (should be combo'd using the pt 2 stuff so you can beat his trait, can do the pt 1 stuff if he will still be in debuff when he has to use a wakeup move. Possibly gets meterlessly vortexed)

Last edited:

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
This is very good. the Cute bae is looking amazing.
Thank you!!! I've put so much work into labbing her and trying to find stuff it's insane, it's probably more than my actual match play time or scarily close to it lmao. And yeah she is haha, I've been super optimistic about her since the game came out man.

Also, I edited the OP with the list of the 17 chars that get j2/j3 vortexed and which jump move you have to use so you guys can put it in your notes and shit.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Should I jam the last 10-13 all into one video, or release them one by one as I finish recording them and put them in their own special playlist?

Wake up d2 if I see them Jumping. :DOGE. This is my secret tech wakeup. together with wake up throw when I see the them blocking. :DOGE
Lool but joke as you may, some of these people say the dumbest shit 100% seriously. It's funny for a while then I randomly start to get mad at it lmao

Whats cool is my estimate of her having a legit vortex on 27-30/30 chars is looking to be right on the mark but there's still tons of testing to be done. I got Superman, Wowo, & Robin recorded today to bring the total up to 21 proven & recorded(the 18 in my vid + these 3). So things are looking up.

People that play other chars that want to test this btw, there are some tight-ish timings for things in general like being able to do 2 precise enough on long delay wakeup so that backdash does not work and it forces you to block instead(foxy brought the backdashing thing up to me on twitter so I went and tested everyone again to be safe, and when done right you definitely cant backdash).

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
If you delay wakeup, she lands in time to still get a s2 out. So the mixup is still there.
Yeah it's just if they have a realllllly good backdash like Superman, your timing with the 2 has to be on point otherwise he can actually backdash out of it with long delay. But I'm still new to executing all this stuff(I dont hoard tech ever) and it didn't take me too long to find the proper window to make sure he still ate a mix.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Keep up the good work bro!
Thank you!!!

Also quick update since I know a lot of people are watching this thread, and who knows if I'll get to releasing part 2 today cuz it's July 4th:

As of right now I have it working on 28/30 chars, but I don't think Swamp Thing out of all characters is possible, and there's a small chance I'll figure out Supergirl. Also, instead of uploading a bunch of character-specific stuff for the 2nd part and making people practice 14 different, specific vortexes, I figured out another partially universal vortex for them when I sat down to record 2 days ago. Didnt play yesterday which is why it didn't come out then.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Alright I managed to do it since I didn't feel like having this in the back of my head all day.

Final count: 28/30 characters.

If I ever figure out the other 2 I'll obviously upload it, but for now I'll record and uplaod an oki vid at some point.

9_Lives

Noob
So in order to loop it do you still need the meter, or is there some way to go from the oh/low I don't see? Good finds in advance just curious

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
So in order to loop it do you still need the meter, or is there some way to go from the oh/low I don't see? Good finds in advance just curious
Thanks! It is metered, but if they get hit by any of the jump ins you can loop it meterlessly. Or if they get hit by j2/21/23 and you have lvl 1 which resets(can hold for lvl 2 if it's close enough) or lvl 2 for a combo(you'll want to do b3 into something that ends in the vortex ender for that char obv), you can do lvl 1 to get more hits in for more meter or lvl 2 to loop them since lvl 2(with a bar) loops in this vortex anyway. J3 is actually kind of weird off of the d3 combo and some chars can have a hard time blocking it. It's super super super wonky on Superman, he can backdash BOTH WAYS ON THE SAME FRAME if you mistime your j3. Pretty sure it's hard to fuck it up that badly though, and even then like 70% of the time he was still getting caught.

If you're looping lvl 2 trait during the vortex you gain a little more meter than going for the 2/x mix right away. You really only need to gain 2 bars totalto take a lifebar, but to start the vortex you only need, roughly, 1 + 1/4 of a bar if you're looping lvl 2 and 1 + 1/3 of a bar if you aren't in order to get the meter in time for MB db2 twice.

1 bar = just a tiny bit over 12 carthweels, so 1/4 of a bar is roughly 3 carthweels and 1/3 is roughly 4 cartwheels(plus like, j2 hitting) if that helps. J3 builds the same amount of meter on hit as it does on block, while j2 and standing 2 both build 1 of the 25 tiny meter bubbles on hit and 2 on block. I could give exact numbers for each of the combos you can do, how much you need exactly depending on when you hit, etc, but I'll save that for when I need to burn time.

Some more fun, random but probably useful info on this shit:

You're pretty much guaranteed to have level 3 during the 2nd hit if you're not looping level 2 which helps with how much meter you need to start. If you had, like, 80% of level one when you first hit your opponent regardless of combo, then by the time they're having to guess between the 25/25/25/25(Canary Drop close/far, 21/23), if you're doing 21/23 and a slight hold on the 2(dont need to hold trait in this instance) you'll be able to hit them with a lvl 3 to gain even more meter, so you don't NEED to loop lvl 2 if it's not a mandatory way for you to punish them. A character where j2 112 1+3 works will be able to get & link lvl 3 off their 21/23 mix in time if they had roughly 40% of lvl 1 done when they started their combo, but you need to hold the 2 AND the trait after the 1 or 3 so it charges faster so it can be tight af depending on where lvl 2's meter was at when you pressed 2.

Last edited:

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Meterless works on 28/30 lul just 112 1+3 if they're hit while airborne.

Yep same setups, this combo for the 112 1+3 guys to make it easier on trait time so there's less margin for error at the cost of slightly less dmg.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Wow good shit man. This makes me want to actually main her instead of just dicking around lol.
Thank you!!! Those words mean more than you know, because I spent a ridiculous amount of time making sure it was a true vortex on these chars it's not even funny lol. So many hrs just testing the same escapes and making sure they didn't work so I knew they had to block, making sure any time I changed or added something it still looped, etc. Finally done after all that, and then out of nowhere you gave me the inspiration for her meterless vortex like some kind of buzzer beater game winning MVP lol.

Last edited:
@Take$$$ I'm not sure if my timing is off or what, but I played a few Jokers and Catwomen and they both were able to back dash safely after the 112 1+3. Suggestions? Thanks again as always bro.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Black canary is unfair and needs nerfs. I have proof!

Wait wrong thread... :rolleyes:

Seriously awesome stuff guys, I always follow up on your community. You guys always have awesome stuff!!

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
There are 2 timings to wakeup backdash and wakeup attacks which is why there are always ways out of these kind of setups.
Pretty sure I didn't mess up testing that and that no timing gets you out as long as you do the jump in properly, I mean this catches short delay with the jump in and the earliest wakeup timing. Stuff like Superman rising grab can make her miss but you still catch and punish it with lvl 2 trait.

Last edited: