What's new

Big trouble in little China

Anyone see this movie and does anyone notice how its basically where MK got all its ideas for characters?
I mean, you got a Kano, Raiden, Shang Tsung and who knows who else in there.

Shang:

Raiden:

Kano

Take you pic on this one. Third one from the right could pass for a Liu Kang in movie:

Pretty sure there were a couple other characters too.

Anyway.. pretty funny

leek

Noob
Anyone see this movie and does anyone notice how its basically where MK got all its ideas for characters?
I mean, you got a Kano, Raiden, Shang Tsung and who knows who else in there.

Shang:

Raiden:

Kano

Take you pic on this one. Third one from the right could pass for a Liu Kang in movie:

Pretty sure there were a couple other characters too.

Anyway.. pretty funny
In order of appearance, top to bottom, left to right, Shang, Raiden, Liu Kang, Sonya, Cage, Kung Lao, and Kitana/Jade

:D :D :D :D :D

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
there is a dude in Big Trouble, who is similair to Kano, but which character was he in Terminator?
<insert trolling here>

On topic, the shang and raiden are the only ones i see any resemblance to im afraid, and the top ones just your run of the mill chinese power figure.

Jason Shearer

Kombatologist
Liu Kang is more of a homage to Bruce Lee.

Take "Enter the Dragon" (1973) for example, about a Shaolin martial artist from Hong Kong, named Lee (Bruce Lee), who possesses great philosophical insight into martial arts as well as physical prowess. He receives an invitation to a martial arts competition on an island organized by the mysterious Han (Shih Kien). Han is your run of the mill Shang Tsung in this movie, while Lo Pan probably inspired Shang Tsung's look.

Another example would be one of the graphics in Liu Kang's MK1 ending, which closely resembles a scene from yet another Bruce Lee movie, "Way of the Dragon" (1972):

Kano was inspired by the the Terminator's endoskeleton.

I believe one of the devs have already stated in the past that BTILC was one of their inspirations.

Bloodsport (1988) is another one:

doomfarmer

unorthodox
Man this was one of my favorite movies when I was younger. It's still awesome. I still reference lines from this movie a lot.

Pretty sure only Shang and Raiden were inspired from this movie though.

Quick anecdote: A fellow artist that used to work for Midway just as they got "bought" by Warner mentioned that Jean Claude Van Damme was supposed to be the original star of MK. For some reason he pulled out and they replaced him. Who knows...

I think inspiration came from all of the movies listed above. The premise is definitely from Enter the Dragon, but Raiden was pulled straight out of Big Trouble In Little China which is an all time favourite of mine.

Quick anecdote: A fellow artist that used to work for Midway just as they got "bought" by Warner mentioned that Jean Claude Van Damme was supposed to be the original star of MK. For some reason he pulled out and they replaced him. Who knows...

I think inspiration came from all of the movies listed above. The premise is definitely from Enter the Dragon, but Raiden was pulled straight out of Big Trouble In Little China which is an all time favourite of mine.
The movie is totally epic. I havent seen in a bit, but doesnt some dude rip out someone's heart like Kano in the movie? I thought it was this dude:

SlickDicMagnum

Mustacheality!
The movie is totally epic. I havent seen in a bit, but doesnt some dude rip out someone's heart like Kano in the movie? I thought it was this dude:
No. This guy blows himself up. There is no heart rip in this movie. You might be thinking of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, perhaps?

aj1701

Noob
Me too, as a kid (like, 8, 9) I copied it on VHS after the first time I rented it, and watched it over and over again. Raiden was my favorite character there.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
Kurt Russell / John Carpenter
The Thing > Big Trouble In Little China

shoutouts to Escape From New York also. I miss the 80s.

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
Wasn't there a heart rip in one of Sonny Chiba's movies?

Also, if Liu Kang is Bruce Lee, does that make Kung Lao Sonny Chiba or Jackie Chan?

Also, Johnny is straight taken from Jean Claude in Bloodsport. Hell Jean was even going to be Johnny in the first game but pulled out due to scheduling conflicts.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Actually, only Raiden was inspired from this movie but better and more powerful....

The others weren't. Kano was inspired from Terminator.

Cage was from Blood Sport, nut punch....they actually wanted to get Van Damme for a fighting game but he was already involved in something and declined before they made MK.

Shang was inspired by their own ideas and typical bad guy kung fu villian.