What's new

General/Other - Takeda Big screen (TV) delay

Maevar

Shirai-Ronin
Has anyone else experiencing delay when playing on a huge TV?
I'm playing on PC/23" Monitor and everything is perfect - I'm doing the 28%(31%) m/less combo with no issues 9/10, but when I play on big TV(+PS4) my JiK after teleporting, always whiffs.

I played on different TVs and it seems that it tends to whiff more on the biggest TVs and on the smaller ones (40" and less) it connects more consistently, but still not good enough.

Thanks in advance!

FiercePhil56

Up-playing loyalist
Ya man TV delay is real. Big LCD's tend to have that problem. I find if you can't find out the latency in miliseconds for your tv, it's a bad sign. 2 ms is pretty standard. 5 ms works good enough in my experience.

Not only can it screw up your combo timing, but can make things impossible to block on reaction, like subs slide

ArcticTabasco

I wish I knew Kung Fu.
Ya man TV delay is real. Big LCD's tend to have that problem.
The delay on TV's also varies a LOT between different models. Even different TV's by the same manufacturer can have huge differences in input delay. A lot of TV's have a game mode (basically it turns off most or all of the TV's picture enhancement engines) to reduce this lag, but its effectiveness also varies. I remember playing on my parents Sony TV a few years ago, and it was terrible to play on, even in game mode and especially fighting games. My current Samsung is a lot better, it's what I play on now. It's not quite as good as using a monitor (which I also used to do), but I don't have trouble with combo timing or anything like I did with the Sony.

If you're looking to buy a new TV, you can check displaylag.com to see which TV's are good for gaming, but they don't have nearly every possible TV in there, of course.

st9rm

viennality.com
yep, common issue with tv's

when you play beat em ups, always try to go for monitors which have 1ms delay, to get the timing of your combos right

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
I pretty much only play on an Asus Monitor, it has zero delay. But yes big screen tvs, or just tvs in general can have serious lag. It's a weird lag too as it can feel normal, or hard to tell the difference because it's a constant delay. But it can mess up punishes, blocking, combos. Basically everything. For example at locals I couldn't punish Sub-Zero's Ice clone cancel strings with Scorpion's teleport. I was super frustrated because I kept getting blocked and full combo punished. I played that same person on an Asus and punished every ice clone 100% of the time.